Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 03:28 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Thanks for those eye-opening statistics. I agree with you that the US has a huge gun violence problem and something needs to be done.
You mean the black gang problem.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:32 PM

18,726 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
I'm not far from there and was just in the area the other day. Heartbreaking. I'm so tired of this.
Ditto.

Is this something government can do anything about?

They've been trying things like gun restrictions, waiting periods, magazine restrictions, "gun free" zones etc. Laws that obviously only the law-abiding will obey, and criminals will ignore. And the result is heartbreakingly obvious, especially today: Three more dead, a dozen or more injured in yet another mass shooting.

Perhaps it's time we tried something else?

But what, exactly?

Old 07-29-2019, 03:33 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Just beyond heartbreaking. People can’t even be safe participating in good, wholesome activities. I can’t bring myself to look at the picture of the little boy again...

Old 07-29-2019, 04:12 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
https://www.newsweek.com/gilroy-shoo...71uoD9yS7pK_r0

It has also been reported that he was Italian and Iranian heritage. Why a Garlic Festival???? Just a fluke? Gun Free Zone?

Having had my own DNA done, I got 40% Southern Italian (knew) and 10% Middle Eastern (surprise!). Maybe not. Look a t a map. I can tell you some of my white Italian family members were browner than the "Squad".

Maybe this shooter was not white enough for the groups he wanted to associate with? Did they reject him? Did that make him very angry and why a garlic festival for not being "pure white" enough?

Old 07-29-2019, 06:42 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
as Roboteer asks:
"Perhaps it's time we tried something else?
But what, exactly?"

allow everyone the means to defends themselves
every place and all the time with no exceptions.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:26 PM

10,452 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Chalk up one person who believes the "We just need more laws" liberals, and believes that society will be safer and freer if government is given more and more power to decide who can own a gun and who can't.
It's scary how easy people are willing to give up their freedoms to a government that has already been known to be beyond corrupt. I guess they never read their history books on the likes of Hitler, whose first thing he did was disarm the public so it became easier to take control of that same public. People never, ever learn!

Old 07-29-2019, 07:27 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The Privilege of Citizens 21 years of age, who are non-felons and mentally sane, may keep but never bear the small arms government decides.

That worked really well in Concord & Lexington.
But not so well in today's city neighborhoods where many inhabitants have guns.

You don't get one without the other.

Sometimes I think that some folks absolutely LOVE the idea of living in a battle zone. All those armed people who are defending themselves and their families against the other armed people who are defending themselves and their families...

BTW, Trump repealed the Obama-era rule that prevented people with certain mental illnesses from owning guns. So if you're under the impression that mentally ill people can't own guns, you are sadly mistaken. https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...lly-ill-people

Old 07-29-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Smithee said the shooter used some type of tool to cut through a fence to get into the festival, avoiding the metal detectors and other security.

1- Metal detectors and security needed for a garlic festival

2- It still wasn't enough. Ultimately it's a people problem. People bent on doing harm to others will find a way to do it.
Yep. In other countries that don't have the right to bear arms like the US, they are subject to knife attacks, bombs and the random van being driven full speed into a crowd.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
He has been identified--Santino William Legan. And we've seen his Facebook page. He's another alt-right nut. To absolutely no one's surprise.
Oh, you mean another false flag orchestrated by the corrupt democrats who will kill 90% of this country if this is what it takes to get their gun ban! I am convinced that this whole thing is another false flag, like the countless other mass shootings, where the suspect is mysteriously dead.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:44 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
OMG the left is so stupid.

First of all, if you disarm law abiding citizens, you have to wait for the police to come protect you. This particular incident, they were lucky that the police were right near - that's not usually the case.

Second of all, the left has proven that they relish in this type of violence. They can't wait to make it political and blame "white racism" and inanimate objects for anything and everything they can sink their claws into - bodies aren't even cold yet.

Third, mestizo means WHITE and Native - a mix. It is not a "code name for Mexican or Hispanic", good cripes, some people are morons.

Fourth, he was Iranian. That makes him Persian. But of course, the left calls people "white" when it's convenient for them, but won't call someone "white" when it's not.

Fifth, "Silicon Valley tw*ts" is not "code name for liberals". The people in Silicon Valley are not all liberals, despite what stupid liberals believe, and they are not all white, despite what stupid liberals believe, and they are very wealthy - which causes a LOT of problems for those who do not have that kind of wealth - homelessness is a big one.

Finally, mental health, mental health, mental health is the problem. Stop blaming an object, get your heads out of your butts and realize that mental health is the damn problem.
1) Persians are Indo-European. Just like you. The word Iran is a derivative of the word Aryan. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_peoples

2) If mental health is the problem, why do conservatives think it's OK for mentally ill people to own guns?
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-set-o...ulation-557237
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies