Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 02:06 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexyD View Post
Unemployed people are Democrats. If they get jobs, they turn Republican.
Care to explain your logic behind this assertion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 02:07 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,242,173 times
Every Bernie Sanders supporter I know is well off and doesn't mind paying more taxes to support the good of the people. Guess it depends on who is in your social circle.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:17 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,429,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
So you want to mandate "kindness" through legislation?

Got news for you:

As soon as empathy and charity become mandatory by the force of government......

They no longer fit their own definitions.

Benevolence cannot be forced through taxation.
Taxation?

I don't think taxation is the answer. If anything taxing wall street speculations is about punishing stock-trading, not about accumulating revenue.

Changing how capital is managed, adding land trust laws to community ( https://slate.com/business/2016/01/b...ing-today.html ),
stopping corporate monopoly on investment, giving public utilities local control, empowering worker rights, and giving small businesses a societal importance can change how we view power.

Right now power is the source of everything. Corporations fund our livelihood (directly or indirectly), the wealthy pay most of the taxes and fund our government, while the intellectual elite monopolize our political discussions.

I don't even agree with Bernie on Healthcare, or Marianne Williamson on slave reparations.

But both of them would bring a mindset to government that isn't just "how do we maximize opportunity for the American people and minimize social conflict".

Politics has been about control, proper management, domestic spending, and growth. A leadership that wants to promote a simpler kinder society rather than a technocratic one can do much to revitalize our values, culture, and societal well being.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:20 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Every Bernie Sanders supporter I know is well off and doesn't mind paying more taxes to support the good of the people. Guess it depends on who is in your social circle.
nothing stopping them but themselves....

Make your check, money order or cashier's check payable to U.S. Treasury.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:21 PM

14,773 posts, read 8,103,690 times
Most of the Bernie supporters that I have known have been University Grad Students. Young.
I can only think of three others - a College Professor, a Realtor and a person in Banking administration.
None of them have the loser mentality in life.
(My definition of that "loser mentality in life" might be someone who is poor or middle class voting Republican and against their own, actual self interests.)

Old 07-29-2019, 02:22 PM

472 posts, read 432,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
So he could win after all?
Depends ... on Putin.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:24 PM

472 posts, read 432,124 times
All Trump supporters I know are sleazy. What's your point?

Unless we know EVERY Sanders/Trump supporter our population sample is insignificant even for an internet troll post.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:39 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,396,474 times
Social circles being as they are, it’s not that surprising that you know a bunch of losers.

I don’t know enough Sanders fans to draw any conclusions. Plenty of democrats, but not Sanders fans. My circle is graduate/professional degrees and 6 figure plus incomes, and mostly dem. Some R, but not Trump fans. They are way too intelligent to fall for Trump.

I have one cousin who is a Bernie fan, but he doesn’t fit the loser description. He has an MBA, gainfully employed, good salary, good guy, if a bit idealistic. My uncle (his dad) is the lone republican in the family. He was out of work more than in it as his 4 kids grew up and his wife was the breadwinner. She worked for a good university which allowed the 4 kids to get degrees at a reasonable cost, but they were pretty poor growing up. I think he feels how hard it can be to work your way out of it and that he was lucky with his moms job and well educated and financially stable to upper middle class extended family. He likes what Sanders claims he could do for people like him without those extended family benefits. It’s idealistic IMO and I’m not a Bernie fan (seems like his heart is in the right place), but I get it.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:10 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
it’s not that surprising that you know a bunch of losers.

They are way too intelligent to fall for Trump.
Pretty self righteous, aren’t we?

Old 07-29-2019, 03:16 PM

745 posts, read 1,324,571 times
I put the OP and his racist right wing extremist friends in the iggie bin.

Woohoo, I love cleaning up America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies