Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 02:39 PM

25,441 posts, read 9,800,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
And how is that my problem? That means you rely on those who can pay.
I didn't say it was your problem at all. I was talking about my life circumstance and the facts before I had Obamacare.

I have paid property taxes for schools for over 40 years and never had a child. I never begrudged paying it. It's what we do as a society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 03:44 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,125,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I'm a company owner. We did not drop coverage. ACA actually stopped the rampant year to year health insurance increases for group insurance. If your company dropped employee coverage it was not because of the ACA. In fact, this is more likely since Trump took office and began crippling the ACA. Prices for group insurance has dramatically risen.
You must be a very small private owned company. The company I work for and many other people I know that work for other large companies are a huge nationwide operations. When the mandatory ACA scam rolled out, I, along with many of the people I am friends with in these other large companies, had to sign up for the ACA because the companies we work for dropped the health insurance providers. Many health insurance providers also went out of business.

How much do politicians, like Obama and Pelosi, have to pay for health insurance? Oh, yeah, they don't, the tax payers pay for their coverage, it's their political benefits package. On the exact same lines as gun control. All these politicians who want them banned from the general public, all have armed security and/or have a conceal carry permit of their own so they never have to worry about actually defending themselves. Same thing, different argument.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:07 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,112,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
You must be a very small private owned company. The company I work for and many other people I know that work for other large companies are a huge nationwide operations. When the mandatory ACA scam rolled out, I, along with many of the people I am friends with in these other large companies, had to sign up for the ACA because the companies we work for dropped the health insurance providers. Many health insurance providers also went out of business.

How much do politicians, like Obama and Pelosi, have to pay for health insurance? Oh, yeah, they don't, the tax payers pay for their coverage, it's their political benefits package. On the exact same lines as gun control. All these politicians who want them banned from the general public, all have armed security and/or have a conceal carry permit of their own so they never have to worry about actually defending themselves. Same thing, different argument.
My husband works for a company that was bought by a big electronics company. They have changed insurance providers during the time he has worked for them, but we have never had to go on the ACA because they never just dropped coverage. So some companies did, some didn't.

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasnt just pure capitalism at work for at least some companies...when an opportunity to save money (since employees had a new way to get insurance that wasn't tied to employment) presented itself, it's easier to pivot and enjoy more profit (since you are not paying that out for employees) and even possibly not need as many employees if you don't have to pay for a benefits coordinator or the like now.

More needs to be done than just be able to view how much drugs are at list price or whatever. He said everyone would get better coverage for cheaper. Prices are just out of control, period. People who live responsibly can be easily bankrupted by medical costs that run up to the millions.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:17 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,493,741 times
Quote:

First off large corporations have been reducing employee benefits since the 1980s. Health care in particular has been slashing in large corps prior to the ACA. A large corporation has a big advantage over cost health plan versus a small company as it gets much lower rates. Basically, a lot of large corporations do not care about its work force and only wants to show better profitability to its share holders.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:33 PM

8,134 posts, read 3,671,773 times
Quote:
Companies dropped coverage because the insurance companies were going out of business. Does that ring any bells? Some had no choice but to sign up for the ACA program.

Nope it does not ring a bell. Could please name several major health insurance companies that went/were going out of business.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:00 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
It was that way preobamacare.

The vast majority of insured people were and remain insured by their employers’ plans.

The Individual Plan Market was and remains a small percentage of all insured people.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Look at the unemployment numbers, for one. Economy is doing awesome. He supports our military, he supports our police, he wants to deport and keep criminals from crossing into America illegally. You're absolutely correct, he's completely the opposite of what Obama is/was and will always be. Put that in your crack pipe and smoke it....

Trump 2020!
POTUS’ play the hand they are dealt.

Obama inherited a deep recession. Unemployment peaked in 2010 at 9.3%. it was at 4.7% when Trump became president. 2018 ended at 3.9%. In other words, the unemployment rate was halved during Obama’s second term which created tremendous momentum.

There is no question that Trump is a master of self promotion.

Having said that no POTUS controls the economy. If they did there would never be a recession.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The ACA was a failure.

Additionally, it allowed the government to force people to buy something from a list of private companies selected by government officials. How unAmerican is that.

States, not the federal government, regulate insurers. If an insurer does not meet your state’s criteria, the state will not license them.

No one is required to use an Exchange to buy healthcare insurance, unless they qualify for a subsidy.

Competition within the Individual Plan Market has been declining for more than 25 years. It got so bad in some state, the state had to subsidize the insurer and this was before the ACA.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:23 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
Companies dropped coverage because the insurance companies were going out of business. Does that ring any bells? Some had no choice but to sign up for the ACA program.
You don't sign up for the ACA program. What are you talking about?

Old 07-29-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Drug prices? Just another Trump lie.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/drug-pr...mes-inflation/

The economy is doing awesome??? Sure if you're in the top 10%. For the rest of Americans inflation is killing families and incomes are going south. Most of good American manufacturing jobs are gone.
Just as Trump promises they were replaced, yes, but with what, low paying, no benefit service jobs.
i.e., Walmart gave all their employees a raise and then cut their hour to 28hrs a week ending any healthcare they might have had. Not to worry, they now qualify for Medicaid and I have no doubt that you don't mind your tax dollar going to pay for what the billion dollar corporation do not. Good for you.

This is the truth of Trump's promises:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZD_xyAjC-E
Walmart has been the largest US employer for 35 years.

Since the 70’s more US jobs were eliminated due to technology substitution/ custom industrial robotics than jobs were outsourced offshore.

Good manufacturing jobs tended to be jobs under collective bargaining agreements. No shortage of people made a relatively decent wage, benefits and had a pension for jobs that required no more skills than the proverbial “ burger flipper” today.

The trend for US manufacturing is Right to Work states.

Union membership in the US private sector peaked more than 60 years ago. The wage , benefits and pensions of uS union workers was uncompetitive in a global marketplace. The public pension obligations negotiated decades ago are choking many cities and states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies