U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:58 AM

5,185 posts, read 1,417,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
^^^^^Good point. The places that criminals know where law abiding citizens are ALLOWED to be armed, are much safer. Gun free zones invite violent criminals.
The best "gun control" law ever written, is the 2nd amendment. If every law-abiding citizen were allowed to carry a gun, most still wouldn't bother (but this would depend on their surroundings).

But a criminal intending to assault, rob, or rape someone, would then be aware that, even if their victim was unarmed, someone in the crowd was probably carrying a weapon. And that he could probably expect a bullet from an unknown direction any time. And he can never know who to attack first to prevent it.

It's enough to make even a career criminal change jobs. Only a relatively few whackos would go ahead and commit their crime anyway. Presto, a significant reduction in crime, and corresponding increase in safety and freedom for ALL the law-abiding people... all without a shot being fired.

Why the big-govt leftists hate and fear this scenario, which is far more effective "crime control" than anything they have been able to come up with, is something they never explain to honest people.

Old Today, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Everybody should be checked before entering gun free zones to ensure it is a gun free zone.
How did that work out for them at Gilroy?

Old Today, 12:00 PM

29,678 posts, read 15,543,544 times
I honestly don't believe more people being armed would make any significant reductions in most mass shootings, but individuals should have the right to defend themselves in unlikely event they are present at one.

I carry. I'm not going to run toward a shooter to engage in a gun fight, but I will have my weapon ready if he were to approach me.

Anyone who feels they are safer without a gun when a shooter is walking toward them to put a bullet in their skull shouldn't have a gun.

I feel I'm safer with a weapon if I'm trapped in a hotel ballroom with a shooter walking around executing people.

I believe that if a shooter ever entered my kids' school, they are safer because several of the teachers there are armed and trained. It might not make a difference, but I'll take a 'might' over nobody being capable of defending them.

Old Today, 12:01 PM

35,399 posts, read 32,303,347 times
Quote:
Everybody should be checked before entering gun free zones to ensure it is a gun free zone.
Then a guy comes in through the fence and shoots everyone. That solution is not working.

Old Today, 12:03 PM

27,197 posts, read 9,220,291 times
Quote:
So the mentally insane and convicted armed robbers should be allowed to carry guns?
Can you show us the law that will stop them ?
After all they are insane and criminals !!!
Do you think they care about the laws ?

Old Today, 12:04 PM

Quote:
So the mentally insane and convicted armed robbers should be allowed to carry guns?
The mentally insane should be locked up in a mental facility and criminals should be allowed once they are no longer on paper.

In terms of criminals, allow them to waive that right in exchange for their release. If you are convicted of a felony, having a gun knocks it up to life. If you want to get out before you die, you can voluntarily waive your right to ever possess a gun for early release/parole.

Old Today, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I believe that if a shooter ever entered my kids' school, they are safer because several of the teachers there are armed and trained. It might not make a difference, but I'll take a 'might' over nobody being capable of defending them.
If there were several law-abiding citizens in the school who are armed and trained, do you believe that might make a difference to the shooter? Might it get him to stay away from that school, knowing there was someone there who would shoot back?

Old Today, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Can you show us the law that will stop them ?
After all they are insane and criminals !!!
Do you think they care about the laws ?
Well, since we made cocaine and heroine illegal, they are no longer available to anyone in the US. Lol

Old Today, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
If there were several law-abiding citizens in the school who are armed and trained, do you believe that might make a difference to the shooter? Might it get him to stay away from that school, knowing there was someone there who would shoot back?
I don't know for sure, but, like I said, I'll take might over zero protection.

Old Today, 12:07 PM
Status: "You are only coming through in waves." (set 10 days ago)

8,160 posts, read 3,200,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Why are the first ten amendments called the Bill of Rights?

It's called the Bill of Rights because it lists the rights guaranteed to individuals. If they were not addressing the rights of the individual to be armed it would not have appeared in the list of rights for the individual.
Why argue with a Canadian about our 2nd amendment? It's pointless. Who cares how a Canadian interprets it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or