U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2019, 05:46 PM

18,575 posts, read 11,481,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Have you ever been to Oklahoma? I have, I don't think that there's ever been a mad rush of people wanting to move there. It's not exactly a top destination for tourists or vacationers either.

I don't think that too many people are attracted to Democrat bastions like Newark N.J., Cory Booker's old stomping ground. Or how 'bout Detroit?

But since you want to go down that road consider this:
Want to talk about Flint? Michigan elected a Republican governor who promptly appointed a city manager over Flint and boom, their water is poisoned. The Republican governor is still being investigated for it.

Why isn't Trump Tower in Dubuque? Why is it in NYC? Why does he have a golf club in New Jersey? Why aren't Republicans in charge of the most prosperous cities in the country? California, a blue state, is the 5th largest economy in the world and they kicked out even more Republicans in 2018.

What happened to the Trump son's plan to open two new hotel chains in flyover country - Scion and American Idea? Look at that forlorn hotel sitting there in Mississippi. Guess flyover country wasn't sucha big market after all.

Blaming Political Climate, Trumps Give Up on New Hotels
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/u...tel-deals.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
So people are escaping that and running to big urban cities where the air, water and soil is cleaner? LOL Do you even believe the BS you spew here?
Please. Trump supporters aren't looking for clean air, water and soil.

President Donald Trump‘s U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will not ban the agricultural use of chlorpyrifos, a toxic pesticide that the EPA’s own scientists have linked to brain damage in children, The New York Times reported Thursday.

https://www.ceh.org/news-events/pres...content/21243/

83 Environmental Rules Being
Rolled Back Under Trump

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...rollbacks.html

E.P.A. Plans to Curtail the Ability of Communities to Oppose Pollution Permits
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/12/c...on-appeal.html

Last edited by Seacove; 07-29-2019 at 06:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 05:47 PM

8,115 posts, read 2,864,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
We get one of these threads about once a week. Either bashing cities or bashing rural life. So I'm just going to state positives.

Different strokes for different folks. Cities in general have many appealing features. The best hospitals are normally found where there are population densities to support them. For those who say that isn't an issue. Well you must be young and in perfect health, but remember cancer doesn't give a damn about your age or perfect health.

Cities have a taste of everything and huge variety. Me, I love a variety especially when it is food.

Public transportation makes life pretty convenient as well.

Rural life has it's advantages as well.

Clean air and quiet. That's life in the country. You will see wildlife every day. You can have a big garden and a big yard and a beautiful home for far less than what you would pay in a big city. ( This is true of small town America as well.)

Prices tend to be lower as do taxes. Schools are okay some better than others.

What I like best is the culture and the people. (except for the transplants). The people tend to be very caring and protective of each other. Everyone knows everyone and the kids have on average better manners towards their elders.

I love visiting the city. Some cities like Singapore are super clean and the air is fresh. Not country fresh but it is clean. I love the variety I see and experience, but I Ama country boy at heart, so I will always prefer open spaces.

Which is better? To each their own.
Well said. Except for one thing. Rats are technically wildlife.

Old 07-29-2019, 05:48 PM

9,811 posts, read 9,535,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
With all the talk about how terrible America's cities are lately and how rural America is a shining example of the 'real America', why is rural America in such decline? Why is there so much poverty in the Ozarks and Appalachia? Why does everyone who has the means to want to move to the big city for employment and quality of life? In addition, very few cities are predominantly conservative.

https://www.citylab.com/perspective/...ecline/588883/
I'm not sure what you mean. The cities have always attracted people, and these days many cities have enviably low crime rates. As to why the permanent areas of poverty in rural areas, they're likely conservative, and so not likely to want to spend money on education and infrastructure.

Old 07-29-2019, 05:50 PM

22,127 posts, read 11,423,460 times
Ever hear of commuting?

Old 07-29-2019, 06:11 PM

15,966 posts, read 13,691,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Ever hear of commuting?
Yeah, never had to do it. Always had a job in the same town I lived in.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:13 PM

8,115 posts, read 2,864,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Ever hear of commuting?
Yeah. But if you are talking about NYC commuting to a true rural area will take over two hours one way and maybe not even achievable.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:14 PM

2,502 posts, read 842,681 times
Quote:
With all the talk about how terrible America's cities are lately and how rural America is a shining example of the 'real America', why is rural America in such decline? Why is there so much poverty in the Ozarks and Appalachia? Why does everyone who has the means to want to move to the big city for employment and quality of life? In addition, very few cities are predominantly conservative.

I'm right where I want to be, in the country on a nice sized lot but within 45 minutes of the conveniences of a major city.

I was born and raised in Orlando, couldn't get out soon enough.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:14 PM

9,604 posts, read 4,424,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. The cities have always attracted people, and these days many cities have enviably low crime rates. As to why the permanent areas of poverty in rural areas, they're likely conservative, and so not likely to want to spend money on education and infrastructure.
This is true. Yet, most people want to act like the cities are crime-infested, rat-infested hellholes while the rural areas are Mayberry, USA.

Mayberry, USA doesn't really exist anymore. There are many factors that go into why, but unlike people think, it has little to due with moral decline or the lack of "Christian values." It has more to do with big box stores like Wal-Mart destroying small town retail and also manufacturing and other blue collar industries drying up.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:18 PM

14,151 posts, read 7,716,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Unfortunately that's true. We can't keep them out no matter how hard we try and believe me, we try.

Inner cities as in...cities?

Seattle is third fastest growing city after Austin (blue) and Miami (blue).

https://komonews.com/news/local/gues...t-growing-city

Nope. Per your link:

Fastest growing cities in the US:

1. Ft. Myers, FL

2. Midland, TX

3. Pearland, TX

4. Bend, OR

5. McKinney, TX

6. College Station, TX

7. Lehigh Acres, FL

8. Mt. Pleasant, SC

9. Enterprise, NV

10. Irvine, CA

11. Milpitas, CA

12. Pleasanton, CA

13. Murfreesboro, TN

14. Meridian, ID

15. Redwood City, CA

16. Frisco, TX

17. Round Rock, TX

18. Austin, TX

19. Miami, FL

20. Saint George, UT

21. Manteca, CA

22. Loveland, Co

23. Santa Clarita, CA

24. Cape Coral, FL

25. Seattle, WA

Old 07-29-2019, 06:20 PM

10,501 posts, read 8,525,709 times
Quote:

Just like cities, not every place in rural America is perfect. Some places are worse than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or