U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2019, 07:54 PM

15,387 posts, read 13,482,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Authoritarian? Who forced the good folks of small town america to abandon the local hardware store for lower prices at Home Depot? Seriously. You talk about fools in the city. Meanwhile neighbors screwed neighbors in rural america.
Home Depot tends to stay out of small towns. Instead, Lowes goes there, if the small town is big enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 07:59 PM

39,435 posts, read 20,577,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
No one wants to live in the cities; they’re too crowded.
That and too many fumes from all the traffic. I moved further away from the city and it's beautiful here so I don't know what op is talking about.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:02 PM

10,273 posts, read 6,409,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
With all the talk about how terrible America's cities are lately and how rural America is a shining example of the 'real America', why is rural America in such decline? Why is there so much poverty in the Ozarks and Appalachia? Why does everyone who has the means to want to move to the big city for employment and quality of life? In addition, very few cities are predominantly conservative.

https://www.citylab.com/perspective/...ecline/588883/
Why are you in the middle of nowhere?

Old 07-29-2019, 08:11 PM

27,897 posts, read 17,844,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
With all the talk about how terrible America's cities are lately and how rural America is a shining example of the 'real America', why is rural America in such decline? Why is there so much poverty in the Ozarks and Appalachia? Why does everyone who has the means to want to move to the big city for employment and quality of life? In addition, very few cities are predominantly conservative.
Cute story. My state is one of the most "rural" in the nation-and is growing at a record rate (we have been the fastest growing state in the nation recently (Idaho)). Rural properties and acreage are especially in demand. Who would WANT to move to a big city? Some people with limited or specialized skill sets may HAVE to to make a living. Every time I have to spend time in one (for work most commonly) I can't wait to get home to my 20 acres on a lake. Can't see how people stand to live in a city-life is so boring.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:12 PM

18,457 posts, read 11,291,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I don't speak for Trump. Why don't you just ask him? As far as the farmers getting $50 BILLION of taxpayer money. Why don't you just complain to congress, they appropriate the money. Oh that's right the Democrat's now control congress.

If it were up to me there wouldn't be a God damn thing for anyone who is in this country illegally. No medical care, no food, no housing, no jobs, no education, NOTHING! They may as well be on the surface of the moon.

As far as farm labor goes there are H-2A guest worker programs that address that. Any farmer that hires an illegal invader outside of that should be arrested as should anyone else that knowingly hires an illegal invader.

As far as Nunez goes that's only an allegation that hasn't been proven. Remember innocent until proven guilty? A concept that is foreign to Democrats. If it's proved in a court of law that Nunez hired illegal invaders he should be arrested, charged and removed from congress. Until then he's INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.

How convenient that you don't mention the same allegations against Pelosi?
Trump declared the money was needed for national security! No approval needed! He will cut food to poor children but billions to farmers, some of these farmers are getting $150-$200K at a time, it's disgusting.

Apparently H-2A programs don't work for all farmers because they have to pay to bring them from Mexico, house them, feed them and pay them $12+ an hour and take them back plus they can't keep them twelve months a year and dairies need workers twelve months a year. So arrest them, I don't care, that's less tax money spent on farmers.

The article about Pelosi is from 2006! Thirteen years ago when BUSH was president.. Nunez' is from last year.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:21 PM

3,383 posts, read 1,915,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
The aid package is not up to congress. Remember, Trump claims tariffs are a national security issue. The aid package comes from USDA who is empowered to borrow money. This is all on Trump.
It's not? What in God's name are you talking about?

Oh so the farmer's never received any aid packages before Trump was elected? Gotcha'

Quote:
What branch of government Appropriates money in federal ...
www.answers.com/Q/What_branch_of_government...
Congress appropriates all the money that the different departments of the Executive branch depends on to fund each departments activities. All monies used to run the United States government are ...

Why do members of congress support agricultural protection?
http://people.duke.edu/~nwc8/Bellemare_Carnes.pdf
in the United States Congress. We focus on the 106th through 110th Congresses (1999–2009), the relatively short period in US agricultural history during which lawmakers passed two of the most significant agriculture bills in the last few decades: the 2002 Farm Security and Rural Investment (FSRI) Act and the
Quote:
Does USDA have enough funds? - myFICO® Forums - 416579
https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mor...ds/td-p/416579
USDA gets their funds in blocks that are approved by congress, and the current block of money was supposed to run until the end of March, however since USDA is one of the remaining sources of 100% financing this last block was used up at a quicker pace than was expected.

"USDA has never run out of funds this quickly before and some officials have said they are unsure when more funding will be approved by Congress."

Old 07-29-2019, 08:21 PM

23,771 posts, read 12,537,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
No one that I know wants to live in a city. In fact, many people I know are buying properties on 3+ acres and building very nice houses on their land.
That might speak more to your limited exposure to folks.

I know as many people who love city life as those who enjoy country life.

In the greater picture -- people move away from rural areas for financial reasons. Some may return once they retire or establish careers that allow for remote offices.

I love being close to things. Living in the country is not for me.

A big house - -been there done that. Happy to have smaller, well appointed digs ot live in that give me access to outdoor activities and urban activities like concerts, theater, etc.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:23 PM

13,821 posts, read 7,539,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Why are you in the middle of nowhere?
That’s where mom and (pastor) dad live.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:27 PM

9,904 posts, read 4,464,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
That might speak more to your limited exposure to folks.

I know as many people who love city life as those who enjoy country life.

In the greater picture -- people move away from rural areas for financial reasons. Some may return once they retire or establish careers that allow for remote offices.

I love being close to things. Living in the country is not for me.

A big house - -been there done that. Happy to have smaller, well appointed digs ot live in that give me access to outdoor activities and urban activities like concerts, theater, etc.
My family, both sides, is from the rural South. During the great depression most of them moved up to DC to work for the government or to Detroit to work for the auto industry. I was born and raised in the DC area. I've always been thankful for that.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:48 PM

3,383 posts, read 1,915,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Trump declared the money was needed for national security! No approval needed! He will cut food to poor children but billions to farmers, some of these farmers are getting $150-$200K at a time, it's disgusting.

Apparently H-2A programs don't work for all farmers because they have to pay to bring them from Mexico, house them, feed them and pay them $12+ an hour and take them back plus they can't keep them twelve months a year and dairies need workers twelve months a year. So arrest them, I don't care, that's less tax money spent on farmers.

The article about Pelosi is from 2006! Thirteen years ago when BUSH was president.. Nunez' is from last year.
What difference does it make when these ALLEGATIONS were made? I couldn't tell you whether Nunez or Pelosi was guilty or not? So by your way of reasoning if someone commits a crime several years ago it's irrelevant? Does that also apply to murder, rape and child molestation? Assault and battery? Or just a plain old burglary or drugstore robbery?

Regardless they're still ALLEGATIONS that haven't been proven in a court of law. INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY! That applies to Pelosi too. I've already stated that anyone who knowingly hires illegal invaders should be arrested, so what's your point? I don't know what BUSH has to do with what Pelosi did, didn't do or vice versa?

Trump must live in your head 24/7. Get over it, you lost the last presidential election. I couldn't stand Obama or any other Democrat for that matter. Big deal that's politics. You win some, you lose some. "You can't always get what you want."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or