U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2019, 11:31 AM

63,449 posts, read 34,695,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexyD View Post
People in cities are snobbish with their frou-frou martinis and going to look at modern art or going to the opera. Most Americans are content to barbeque hamburgers in their backyards.
I notice this snobbishness every time to travel to Dallas. Unfortunately I have to go there again in a few weeks. I live in an urban area in FL, but Dallas feels like a prison.

PS. We do barbecue pretty much every weekend where I live, in urban FL. After all, most people who live in urban areas live in single family houses with a back yard, pool, etc. Its called 'suburb'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 11:33 AM

19,770 posts, read 12,438,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Uh, the jobs and economic possibilities are vastly better...as with the education opportunities.

Also, the flexibility. If said person moves to the city and gets an education, trade and job they have much more chance of being able to move to where the job takes them (sell their houses, etc.)....

If they stayed in WV, like we considered doing, it's only a matter of a short while before you hear they are going to strip mine the property adjacent to you.....and since you don't own the mineral rights, you are SOL.

The point, which seems to escape you, is that the so-called benefits of rural living often are not there in places that have been poisoned (and that is a LOT of places).

That's relevant to the discussion...your post less so.
Hmm............ we live in a city, but own farmland, to which I will retire eventually. We own the land and the mineral rights (which is the case in most instances and a separation is seen in certain geographic areas).

I far prefer rural living.

I find it interesting when I talk to associates who live in very large urban areas about the appeal of such places. I usually find that I see more Broadway plays touring), sporting events, and go out to dinner a lot more than they do, as I can afford it and it is accessible. They talk about all these wonderful attributes of living in the city, but they never do them!

We travel all the time and have been to every state in the US and many places around the world. However, when at my farm, I certainly don't feel deprived or provincial as a result of staying there. But then again, I have a ton of hobbies and can keep myself entertained fairly well without outside help.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:42 AM

14,635 posts, read 7,843,901 times
Quote:
Uh, the jobs and economic possibilities are vastly better...as with the education opportunities.
Only if you consider traditional college to be the only viable education option for people.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:59 AM

319 posts, read 55,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I'd actually love to move to Baltimore. It is a beautiful city and everyone I've ever met from B'more is cool and down to earth (not like DC lol).
I haven't been to Baltimore since the original Hammerjacks closed to make room for the Ravens stadium. It was a ****hole 2 blocks in any direction from the Inner Harbor.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:04 PM

18,457 posts, read 11,299,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
This is what we know, the phenomenon of "brain drain" isnt new, its happening. You can say there is migration from blue cities in blue states to blue cities in red states sure, not sure how that helps rural areas. To be clear this is also happening in rural areas of blue states. If you cared about rural areas you should want to examine why this is happening, what we can do to reverse the trend, assuming young smart educated people coming back to those areas is a good thing and you want to to encourage that.

https://publicpolicy.wharton.upenn.e...-young-people-
I don't care about rural areas because rural area voters depend on my tax money to supplement their way of life. They don't have the population to pay for infrastructure, so they depend on my tax money to build that infrastructure. Then they elect a guy that takes my tax money and gives $50 Billion to farmers so they can NOT grow crops. Then those farmers talk about how great it is to live in a rural area while they live off my tax money.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:06 PM

16,198 posts, read 4,267,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Only if you consider traditional college to be the only viable education option for people.
It's all in the statistic - none of which I made up.....

I am a high school dropout who has done quite well. Still, virtually every metric available shows that higher education is the key to economic welfare.

There are exceptions to every rule.

However, you are, in a sense, arguing with yourself because when I stated "educational opportunities" that includes EVERYTHING one might learn in a more cultured and diverse atmosphere, including perhaps going to a play, a concert, a talk, a better library, learning on the job and countless other things.

Those things existing in vastly small numbers in those hills. We had to drive 25 minutes just to get to a convenience store so it's highly doubtful that we had a good vo-tech school within easy commute either.

I'm the last one to consider "traditional college" the route for all. However, for smarter people it is likely the best course forward as very few learn proper physics, engineering, medical specialties or other such things in an after-school program in a town of 5,000 (the county seat).

Old 07-30-2019, 12:19 PM

16,198 posts, read 4,267,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The reality is more like eating every meal at McDonalds or KFC. I know, I live in Oklahoma and those stereotypical backyard BBQs only happen on special occasions. Meanwhile everyone wants to live off a diet of only fast food.
A book I am reading about the Fall of the USA (oil, detroit, etc.) notes how when the Super Bowl came to Detroit and when the Sports teams were purchased it was often with fast-food franchise money as opposed to the Industrial titans. Commercials during the game also featured that food..and beer, of course!

That's quite a telling moment....and this was in 1982 when many here think "America Was Great". The "grease" was in food as opposed to on machine tools.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:20 PM

5,315 posts, read 3,067,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexyD View Post
People in cities are snobbish with their frou-frou martinis and going to look at modern art or going to the opera. Most Americans are content to barbeque hamburgers in their backyards.
Your thinking of rich city folks.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:32 PM

9,394 posts, read 4,269,948 times
Quote:
A book I am reading about the Fall of the USA (oil, detroit, etc.) notes how when the Super Bowl came to Detroit and when the Sports teams were purchased it was often with fast-food franchise money as opposed to the Industrial titans. Commercials during the game also featured that food..and beer, of course!

That's quite a telling moment....and this was in 1982 when many here think "America Was Great". The "grease" was in food as opposed to on machine tools.
People think the problem in our country today is all due to the lack of "Christian family values" but people want to ignore the effect that the blanketing of America with Wal-Marts and McDonalds had on life and culture, especially in rural America.

Go to any small town USA, unless its a boutique/tourist town, and the main drag will look something like this.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:48 PM

12,491 posts, read 12,681,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Yes, ethnic districts have existed for a while, but they are fairly new in the larger picture. For most of human society this concept was fairly foriegn concept. Anyways it was one example to show how urban areas are becoming more uniformed. Even places without an historical Arab, Ukrainian, Nepali, or Indian people are gaining their foods and consumer goods.
I take it you have never heard of Brownsville and Midwood in Brooklyn, Harlem or Chinatown? Ethnic enclaves have been common for 150 years. For extra credit, how many states have a Germantown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or