U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-30-2019, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
15,403 posts, read 13,487,449 times
Reputation: 4686

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Now I'm baffled. What are the non-college education alternatives available in rural areas? The trade schools are still in the cities.
Oklahoma has state run career tech schools in the bigger rural towns. If you want to know how to build a house or be a nurse, you can go there among other career pursuits. This is an example of one of the schools--Meridian Technology. Pictured.
https://www.meridiantech.edu/programs/

In addition, Meridian Technology Center’s ability to train industrial workers probably did more to sway ASCO, a Belgian aircraft component designer and manufacturer to locate in Stillwater than federal and state tax incentives, according to former OK State Rep. Cory Williams. It's too bad how these tech centers can't attract more industry and manufacturing to rural Oklahoma.


Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 07-30-2019 at 10:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2019, 11:22 PM
 
1,746 posts, read 1,168,269 times
Reputation: 2316
I'd say it's mostly jobs, unless you want to work at the local grocery store or walmart there aren't many job opportunities in small rural towns.there is also culture. small towns have very little culture unless hanging out in bars and getting drunk is your idea of culture.Small towns also are very narrow minded not good for people who don't fit in. large town are much more accepting and there is more diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2019, 11:51 PM
 
Location: Chicago Area
8,103 posts, read 4,249,685 times
Reputation: 3094
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
With all the talk about how terrible America's cities are lately and how rural America is a shining example of the 'real America', why is rural America in such decline? Why is there so much poverty in the Ozarks and Appalachia? Why does everyone who has the means to want to move to the big city for employment and quality of life? In addition, very few cities are predominantly conservative.

https://www.citylab.com/perspective/...ecline/588883/
Jobs. People move into cities to look for jobs. Most people would prefer to live in a small town with the big city a few hours drive away. But given the choice, I'd rather live in a 200 person town in the middle of Wyoming than live in the nicer rich part of downtown Chicago. The trouble with the tiny town in the middle of Wyoming or Nebraska or Alaska is that there are no jobs there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2019, 11:58 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
15,403 posts, read 13,487,449 times
Reputation: 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Jobs. People move into cities to look for jobs. Most people would prefer to live in a small town with the big city a few hours drive away. But given the choice, I'd rather live in a 200 person town in the middle of Wyoming than live in the nicer rich part of downtown Chicago. The trouble with the tiny town in the middle of Wyoming or Nebraska or Alaska is that there are no jobs there.
In my case, I prefer to live in a small town as I do now only a hour away from not one but two big cities, not as much as a few hours away. That's way too far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 04:07 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
10,038 posts, read 5,592,057 times
Reputation: 8489
Assuming the premise is correct, it may go with "I want it now, don't care how".


It's at least 20 minutes to the nearest place one can buy things (gas, beer, bread, chips.....pepto) from my ranch. Living in town, I could do that in 5, on foot. Now, it is 40 mph away.



I can live like that but I suppose other people can't.


Of course, it may get into other things like no one stockpiles supplies, people can't cook, things like that, but I suppose that is a different talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
22,285 posts, read 21,922,236 times
Reputation: 21667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Now I'm baffled. What are the non-college education alternatives available in rural areas? The trade schools are still in the cities.
What is your idea of a city and a rural area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 07:57 AM
 
Location: the Sticks
9,145 posts, read 2,595,327 times
Reputation: 4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Now I'm baffled. What are the non-college education alternatives available in rural areas? The trade schools are still in the cities.
Uhmmm you do know that you can live in the country and commute to the city? Many many people do it every day.

You couldn't pay me to live in a city. air pollution, noise pollution, the stench. Not for me. Don't get me wrong, I like to visit, but can think of few tortures worse than living in filth.

I know people who commute 1.5 hours each way rather than pay the high taxes, deal with the crime, and can afford much better housing.

As I said earlier. To each their own, but dont try and sell it based on if you live in the country you dont have options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
22,285 posts, read 21,922,236 times
Reputation: 21667
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Oklahoma has state run career tech schools in the bigger rural towns. If you want to know how to build a house or be a nurse, you can go there among other career pursuits. This is an example of one of the schools--Meridian Technology. Pictured.
https://www.meridiantech.edu/programs/
Exactly. My area of "Appalachia" (since posters are assuming it is one big declining poverty stricken rural area) is Mayland unincorporated, population who the F knows. There is a convenience store/gas station run by the Patel's (actually two), a Dollar General, a factory where they make charcoal, a volunteer fire department, a manned garbage collection center, a mechanic, a senior center that has open jam night once a week, and a summer camp.

A 15-20 minute drive to the East (rural urban area pop. 12K), West (rural urban area pop. 34K) and North (rural urban area pop 4K) all have a trade school. There is a University in the 34K populated rural urban area and a small community college in the 12K populated urban area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 08:17 AM
 
6,583 posts, read 3,659,178 times
Reputation: 7478
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Uhmmm you do know that you can live in the country and commute to the city? Many many people do it every day.

You couldn't pay me to live in a city. air pollution, noise pollution, the stench. Not for me. Don't get me wrong, I like to visit, but can think of few tortures worse than living in filth.

I know people who commute 1.5 hours each way rather than pay the high taxes, deal with the crime, and can afford much better housing.

As I said earlier. To each their own, but dont try and sell it based on if you live in the country you dont have options.
Quite a few people where I live take a commuter bus into NYC (about 3 hours). The COL is cheaper especially when they have good paying jobs in Manhattan. Appeal of 'country living" where there are more deer than people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 08:19 AM
 
Location: the Sticks
9,145 posts, read 2,595,327 times
Reputation: 4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Quite a few people where I live take a commuter bus into NYC (about 3 hours). The COL is cheaper especially when they have good paying jobs in Manhattan. Appeal of 'country living" where there are more deer than people?
I saw it every time I took a bus into Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top