U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 02:43 PM

31,053 posts, read 16,998,945 times

Advertisements

Great strawman. I say go forth and argue away with yourself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 02:45 PM

6,053 posts, read 3,261,487 times
careers, not everyone wants to take over the family farm..

Old 07-29-2019, 02:48 PM

68,226 posts, read 34,851,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
With all the talk about how terrible America's cities are lately and how rural America is a shining example of the 'real America', why is rural America in such decline? Why is there so much poverty in the Ozarks and Appalachia? Why does everyone who has the means to want to move to the big city for employment and quality of life? In addition, very few cities are predominantly conservative.

https://www.citylab.com/perspective/...ecline/588883/
Crony Capitalism works efficiently where there is concentrated populations.
Making a buck, easier and faster, has its draw to metro America.
Bigger money resides in the pasture of concrete & steel.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:50 PM

18,575 posts, read 11,490,826 times
Quote:
Texas cities are liberal and as the balance of power in the state continues to shift from rural to urban Texas, the state will become more purple.
Seattle (and Washington state) can't keep the Texans out. They are the second highest source of Seattle growth after California and that has been true for almost a decade. Texas has all that open land but the Texans come to Washington, skipping all the states in between. Washington keeps getting bluer, so I don't get it unless it's liberals leaving Texas. Seattle is beyond full, we are increasingly less enthused at the sight of newcomers and still the Texans come. One would think they would stay home and make their own state better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Actually the suburbs around cities are growing, not the cities themselves. It is about EMPLOYMENT. Most jobs are located in and around cities.

Yes, the cities have a LOT of problems. There are nice sections and downtown CBD's, but they are often surrounded by ghettos, poverty, and crime. Sad, but it is what Democrats do best. Ruin things.
Seattle is growing, consistently in the top five in the country. And how are jobs "ruining things"? If Republican policies were so awesome, why are there so few Republican cities? Why are the top five states on Disability in the South? Why do places like Texas keep sending their workers to blue cities like Seattle?

"Texas is the state sending the most newcomers to the Seattle area after California"

Where do Seattle’s newcomers move from? Drivers license numbers reveal some surprises
https://www.geekwire.com/2018/seattl...eal-surprises/

Last edited by Seacove; 07-29-2019 at 03:01 PM..

20,177 posts, read 9,637,314 times
Quote:
That was the case in the 1980s. Today, inner cities around the country are coming back to life.
I live outside a major city. Yes, there's gentrification happening, but cities are NOT seeing net gains in population. The suburbs are seeing the gains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexyD View Post
This is just people who watch tv programs such as Friends. Most people do not want to have to look for parking spots and do not want to be around so many strange ethnic restaurants.
Strange ethnic restaurants? My dude, thatís food paradise..

Old 07-29-2019, 02:53 PM

28 posts, read 5,665 times
Strange meats in sauces served by people in weird costumes who speak English funny is uncomfortable for many. I do not want to go to a restaurant in New York City and end up eating a dog by mistake. This happened to a relative. She has not returned to New York City or any big city for that matter.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:54 PM

28,335 posts, read 19,733,153 times
i don't know anyone who wants to 'leave for the big city.' certainly not myself.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:55 PM

9,654 posts, read 4,440,559 times
Quote:
Strange meats in sauces served by people in weird costumes who speak English funny is uncomfortable for many. I do not want to go to a restaurant in New York City and end up eating a dog by mistake. This happened to a relative. She has not returned to New York City or any big city for that matter.
To each their own. I myself cannot do McDonalds more than a few times per year. Most people around where I live eat fast food almost every meal and it really shows.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Yelp is your friend. The rest of the criticism just sounds like being uncomfortable with people who are different. Bro hit with some good ramen, I donít care if the serverís english sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or