U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 01:18 PM

72,437 posts, read 84,245,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
With all the talk about how terrible America's cities are lately and how rural America is a shining example of the 'real America', why is rural America in such decline? Why is there so much poverty in the Ozarks and Appalachia? Why does everyone who has the means to want to move to the big city for employment and quality of life? In addition, very few cities are predominantly conservative.

https://www.citylab.com/perspective/...ecline/588883/
You answered your own question: big city means better jobs. These small towns in the rural states have almost no opportunity for work or for middle America type of jobs. The people living in the small towns have to give up their freedom and their calmness to support themselves.

You mention big cities not being conservative, well guess what? Small town America doesn't have the high crime rate your liberal, big cities have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 01:24 PM

18,457 posts, read 11,291,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You answered your own question: big city means better jobs. These small towns in the rural states have almost no opportunity for work or for middle America type of jobs. The people living in the small towns have to give up their freedom and their calmness to support themselves.

You mention big cities not being conservative, well guess what? Small town America doesn't have the high crime rate your liberal, big cities have.
Of course small towns have high crime PLUS they require the big cities to pay for their infrastructure because they don't have the populations to pay for it themselves. Look at any state budget and it's right there. Why there hasn't been an uprising by urban/suburban dwellers is beyond me unless they are afraid more rurals will come. People who move to the cities aren't "giving up their freedom", that's ridiculous. They apparently wanted the money and education that their rural homes couldn't offer. No one is making them move.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:40 PM

4,821 posts, read 4,271,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Small town America is no longer immune to crime. It's not prevalent everywhere but I've been to a lot of rural areas where I've been specifically warned to keep my stuff safe from drug addicts. Even still, Chicago for instance has almost 10 million people and maybe 2 million of them live in areas where crime is a concern at all.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:43 PM

21,875 posts, read 19,499,537 times
Crime in small towns might be a rather American phenomenon, especially in the South if I am not mistaken.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:45 PM

7,211 posts, read 6,513,805 times
Rural folks love our way of life but also care about all Americans.We helped get President Trump in office to help our our struggling city Americans and even send you our best and brightest to try to help you and still you complain!There is only so much we can do.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:47 PM

18,457 posts, read 11,291,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Rural folks love our way of life but also care about all Americans.We helped get President Trump in office to help our our struggling city Americans and even send you our best and brightest to try to help you and still you complain!There is only so much we can do.
Really? Thanks so much. That rural way of life certainly is something.

Rural Older Adults Hit Hard by Opioid Epidemic
https://www.asaging.org/blog/rural-o...pioid-epidemic

Old 08-02-2019, 01:58 PM

22,224 posts, read 21,910,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I'm talking about more like people cheating on spouses with nieces/nephews, trading food stamps for drugs, preachers selling drugs, crazy stuff. Don't underestimate small towns; with nothing to do, people will find something to do and it's not like they lack for imagination. The most shocking situations I've ever heard came from small towns, not big cities where people are just too busy. Plenty of people grow up in small towns and move to the cities but they don't forget what happened (or is still happening when they go home to visit).
Again, incest occurs in cities and suburbs, as does food stamp fraud and crooked clergy. Your naive if you believe this only happens in rural areas.
People talk more in small towns because the people are closer knit and smaller in number. In cities fewer people know their neighbors or shop at the same store, go to the same church, school, etc.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:59 PM

7,211 posts, read 6,513,805 times
Wow I'm a Retired Carpenter and never even took so much as an asperin in my entire life. would I be safer in a city at my age?

Old 08-02-2019, 02:03 PM

22,224 posts, read 21,910,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Of course small towns have high crime PLUS they require the big cities to pay for their infrastructure because they don't have the populations to pay for it themselves. Look at any state budget and it's right there. Why there hasn't been an uprising by urban/suburban dwellers is beyond me unless they are afraid more rurals will come. People who move to the cities aren't "giving up their freedom", that's ridiculous. They apparently wanted the money and education that their rural homes couldn't offer. No one is making them move.
Thanks.
My rural has some of the best roads, they have left no gravel road unpaved. All our bridges have been and are being replaced.
And you are paying for it!

Old 08-02-2019, 06:20 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,402,584 times
I live in a small town. It's not bad convenience conveniencewise for my current situation because I have 2 small kids, but once the kids are out of the house we're going to move to a condo back in an urban environment. I work in healthcare & was offered more to work in a rural setting than I was in an urban setting, so that's why I'm here for now.

Small town pros: No traffic, parks are always empty, no waiting in line for restaurants, you can bike down the middle of the street & not worry about traffic, grandparents live close by to babysit, housing is cheap.

Small town cons: Racism abounds. Fear of outsiders. People are simply lacking in intelligence. If the locals went to college, it's usually the local community college to get a 2 year associates degree . . . & they think they're hot stuff. People are even more overweight & unhealthy. Many of the locals were married & had kids by the time they were 21. It's weird. Binge drinking is the norm. People don't know how to interact or have fun unless they're drunk. Gossip, closed mindedness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or