U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2019, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Seattle
1,242 posts, read 264,291 times
Reputation: 1289

Advertisements

Better access to medical services? If you support an elder in poor health, you might want to live nearer a big hospital with specialists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2019, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Colorado
2,159 posts, read 1,303,482 times
Reputation: 4495
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
With all the talk about how terrible America's cities are lately and how rural America is a shining example of the 'real America', why is rural America in such decline? Why is there so much poverty in the Ozarks and Appalachia? Why does everyone who has the means to want to move to the big city for employment and quality of life? In addition, very few cities are predominantly conservative.

https://www.citylab.com/perspective/...ecline/588883/

There's a world of difference between what somebody *wants* and what somebody *needs*. And the two do not always coincide.

People may *want* to live in rural America. But the simple truth is, people *need* jobs, and the majority of them will be in the cities. Long commutes are not always an option for people, for various reasons. I admit that if my job allowed telecommuting (which actually *can* be done, and I have worked from home on occasion before, but my company only allows it for special reasons, not as a matter of course), I'd be moving further out myself.

Or a family may need quick access to major hospitals....the majority of which will be in the cities.

Or a child in the family may have special education needs, which will have a better chance of being accommodated in a school district closer to the city than in a rural area.

The cities have the advantage of having more amenities available to meet various needs. That doesn't necessarily mean that's where *everybody* would prefer to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2019, 03:01 PM
 
10,565 posts, read 6,388,439 times
Reputation: 5880
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
With all the talk about how terrible America's cities are lately and how rural America is a shining example of the 'real America', why is rural America in such decline? Why is there so much poverty in the Ozarks and Appalachia? Why does everyone who has the means to want to move to the big city for employment and quality of life? In addition, very few cities are predominantly conservative.

https://www.citylab.com/perspective/...ecline/588883/
That is some funny stuff right there. I can't wait to get out of here and into rural Northern MI. Only 10 more years to go dealing with all the city-iots.

Seems like the Ozarks are doing pretty well...and this is a few years old.
https://www.lakeexpo.com/real_estate...67b8aa898.html

https://www.wsj.com/articles/forget-...hia-1526388500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2019, 03:02 PM
 
7,330 posts, read 2,599,043 times
Reputation: 3740
People leave the country for the city for jobs.

They may eventually go from the inner city to a suburb, but they rarely go back to the farm or a small town before they retire.

One reason so many posters here hate cities so much is that they face competition from too many college grads in urban areas to land a job that in other circumstances they might get.
So they stay in the country or small town because they don’t have that much choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2019, 03:03 PM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere
9,399 posts, read 4,274,467 times
Reputation: 7962
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
That is some funny stuff right there. I can't wait to get out of here and into rural Northern MI. Only 10 more years to go dealing with all the city-iots.

Seems like the Ozarks are doing pretty well...and this is a few years old.
https://www.lakeexpo.com/real_estate...67b8aa898.html

https://www.wsj.com/articles/forget-...hia-1526388500
If you live around Fayetteville-Bentonville, Arkansas or Springfield MO it's alright. Get away from that and it's like the movie "Winter's Bone." I highly recommend that movie to anybody who wants a deeper insight into Ozark culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2019, 03:04 PM
 
Location: California
961 posts, read 263,844 times
Reputation: 2704
I don't think this is a political thing nor do I think it's true. I'm very liberal and hope to settle in a country/mountain home one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2019, 03:05 PM
 
7,569 posts, read 2,717,939 times
Reputation: 2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
There's a world of difference between what somebody *wants* and what somebody *needs*. And the two do not always coincide.

People may *want* to live in rural America. But the simple truth is, people *need* jobs, and the majority of them will be in the cities. Long commutes are not always an option for people, for various reasons. I admit that if my job allowed telecommuting (which actually *can* be done, and I have worked from home on occasion before, but my company only allows it for special reasons, not as a matter of course), I'd be moving further out myself.

Or a family may need quick access to major hospitals....the majority of which will be in the cities.

Or a child in the family may have special education needs, which will have a better chance of being accommodated in a school district closer to the city than in a rural area.

The cities have the advantage of having more amenities available to meet various needs. That doesn't necessarily mean that's where *everybody* would prefer to be.
And many people may want to live in a big city but cannot afford to due to housing prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2019, 03:05 PM
 
5,334 posts, read 3,067,048 times
Reputation: 3271
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
If you live around Fayetteville-Bentonville, Arkansas or Springfield MO it's alright. Get away from that and it's like the movie "Winter's Bone." I highly recommend that movie to anybody who wants a deeper insight into Ozark culture.
Never heard of ozark culture..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2019, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
11,809 posts, read 8,386,967 times
Reputation: 5872
Work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2019, 03:12 PM
 
9,560 posts, read 10,278,519 times
Reputation: 7253
Many people I know who grew up in small rural America and raised their kids there leave when they get old. The common theme is they want to live closer to their grand kids. This means their kids grew up and left now they are leaving too. Rural America is becoming no place for the young or the old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top