Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 04:21 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Mostly to the suburbs. Inner cities are NOT growing.
NYC real estate is through the roof. You can't look at population as in the case of NYC as the only way for it to increase is a) small buildings are torn down for larger ones or b) more people live in the same square footage. Rurals areas have plenty of land for expansion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 04:21 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Fine by me, as long as the rural residents are paying the same price.

Fine by me, first we stop ALL the money taxpayers are giving to the farmers, $50 BILLION under Trump so far and they still can't keep their farms sustainable. Plus, those farmers are depending on illegal immigrants for their labor. Funny how Trump hasn't sent ICE to Iowa, isn't it.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...wa-california/
Yeah, let's cut off ALL farm subsidies and then see if we get any more jokes about $100 for a gallon of water.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:23 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No, but alot of people want to move to Madison, Seattle, Portland, Denver, etc.
Yes, and there all being destroyed by excessive traffic, global culture (no identity), and high property prices and rent.

The people are controlled by big finance, credit loans, and corporate investment.

Pretty soon all these global 'champions' around the world (who have destroyed small towns and villages) will be non-descriptive cities with some coffee shops and hipster cafe's breweries, corporate offices, nightclubs, and ethnic districts.

Nothing unique, no community, just engines global capitalism.

It is beyond me why democrats defend these constructs. If they were really the left wing party they would hate these big up and coming cities with their bourgeoisie society.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:24 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Mostly to the suburbs. Inner cities are NOT growing.
Seattle proper went from 608,660 in 2010 to 744,955 in 2010. Sounds like there are plenty of people who want to live there. Personally, it's too crowded for me, but there are plenty of people who wanted to live in Seattle proper.

Madison,WI went from 233,209 to 258,054 between 2010 and 2018.
Denver,CO went from 600,158 to 716,492 between 2010 and 2018.
Portland,OR went from 583,776 to 653,115 between 2010 and 2018.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:27 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
I'd rather live in the country.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Yes, and there all being destroyed by excessive traffic, global culture (no identity), and high property prices and rent.

The people are controlled by big finance, credit loans, and corporate investment.

Pretty soon all these global 'champions' around the world (who have destroyed small towns and villages) will be non-descriptive cities with some coffee shops and hipster cafe's breweries, corporate offices, nightclubs, and ethnic districts.

It is beyond me why democrats defend these constructs. If they were really the left wing party they would hate these big up and coming cities with their bourgeoisie society.
I agree that alot of people = high rent. However if alot of people want to move to a city, you might want to ask yourself why this is. Why do so many people want to move to Seattle, Denver, and Portland? Why aren't Republican bastions like Tulsa and Oklahoma City attracting as many people?

And something else. Ethnic districts have been around in big cities and small cities for years upon years.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:28 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
How did metropolitan areas destroy small town economies?
They took all the added value towns and small businesses had by centralizing capital into a few areas.

That increased productivity and efficiency destroyed the less profitable small town ventures as states wanted more tax revenue (industrialized cities=more money).

That meant all the community forward business, where once jobs and social life were interconnected, were destroyed.

Old cities before the 1800s usually formed exclusively off of being a trading hub or a center of political power. Now small towns and interconnected communities are left to die or evolve (grow into centers of big finance and lose their identity).

Its a product of international capitalism and rather than finding them cool, liberals should hate big cities.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:29 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
With all the talk about how terrible America's cities are lately and how rural America is a shining example of the 'real America', why is rural America in such decline? Why is there so much poverty in the Ozarks and Appalachia? Why does everyone who has the means to want to move to the big city for employment and quality of life? In addition, very few cities are predominantly conservative.

https://www.citylab.com/perspective/...ecline/588883/
People have been moving from farm to cities for hundreds of years. There are pros to rural life as well but most prefer a city.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I'd rather live in the country.
Well, this is how I see it. The jobs are in the cities. Most of the good jobs are not in the countryside. What would you do for work?

I know that living in rapidly growing, infrastructure deficient Atlanta metro area has not been very good for my health. However, I understand that as long as most out of state companies prefer locals over out of staters, then I'm stuck. I understand that the good jobs are in the city of Atlanta and the more expensive areas of the cities.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:30 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

Nothing unique? Dude you go into a different block and it has different things to see. Meanwhile out in the burbs you just see a big parking lot with the same generic architecture styled big box store..

Different food/architecture/bars. Theres a ton of things to see and do. We moved to a small spot in Illinois outside of the city. Best thing there? Six flags and the mall.. And chillies..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies