Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 03:14 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Texas cities are liberal and as the balance of power in the state continues to shift from rural to urban Texas, the state will become more purple.
Yes but A. It’s not just Texas 12 of the 15 fastest growing states are red states, 93! of the 100 fastest growing counties are red counties B. Most of the surrounding smaller cities/suburbs are growing faster than the city cores C. state policy is far more important than local policy local policy is very granular, most red states even place limits on taxation within their cities. The pro growth policy of red states is working, its driving capital investment and human capital to their areas. Blue states are growing far slower much of which is via international immigration and its very unequal growth, business and home ownership rates in most blue states are terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 03:16 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
With all the talk about how terrible America's cities are lately and how rural America is a shining example of the 'real America', why is rural America in such decline? Why is there so much poverty in the Ozarks and Appalachia? Why does everyone who has the means to want to move to the big city for employment and quality of life? In addition, very few cities are predominantly conservative.

https://www.citylab.com/perspective/...ecline/588883/

Sarcasm?

Old 07-29-2019, 03:23 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
People leave the country for the city for jobs.

They may eventually go from the inner city to a suburb, but they rarely go back to the farm or a small town before they retire.

One reason so many posters here hate cities so much is that they face competition from too many college grads in urban areas to land a job that in other circumstances they might get.
So they stay in the country or small town because they don’t have that much choice.
That's not true with me. I'm smart enough to land any white collar job.

I hate the metropolitan areas because they have destroyed small communities and turned the economy into a corporate managed society where might makes right.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:25 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Nobody wants to move to Baltimore.

/thread.
I'd actually love to move to Baltimore. It is a beautiful city and everyone I've ever met from B'more is cool and down to earth (not like DC lol).

Old 07-29-2019, 03:27 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I'd actually love to move to Baltimore. It is a beautiful city and everyone I've ever met from B'more is cool and down to earth (not like DC lol).
DC is horrible. I lived there, the people are the most power hungry professionals in the world.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:30 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times
Not everyone does. Different strokes.

That said, those who rail on and on about how awful cities are are willfully ignorant to the realities of rural poverty and drug addiction. I spent years treating rural Ozarks kids, mostly white, dirty, neglected, and subject to lives spent in drug addled homes. Mostly meth back then. Good ole Bible Belt republicans completely destroying their innocent children. It’s every bit as maddening as the drug and gang issues in inner cities.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:38 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

I hate the metropolitan areas because they have destroyed small communities and turned the economy into a corporate managed society where might makes right.
How did metropolitan areas destroy small town economies?

Old 07-29-2019, 03:41 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Not everyone does. Different strokes.

That said, those who rail on and on about how awful cities are are willfully ignorant to the realities of rural poverty and drug addiction. I spent years treating rural Ozarks kids, mostly white, dirty, neglected, and subject to lives spent in drug addled homes. Mostly meth back then. Good ole Bible Belt republicans completely destroying their innocent children. It’s every bit as maddening as the drug and gang issues in inner cities.
Wait until the movie Hillbilly Elegy comes out. Trump supporters that are delighting in attacking urban areas are going to lose their minds and will cry victimhood. They will say the left is making fun of the poor even though the writer of Hillbilly Elegy grew up in Appalachia and wrote the book explaining the contradictions of his family and the people he grew up with.

https://www.latimes.com/books/la-et-...405-story.html

If Republican policies are so great, why are there so few Republican cities? Why are the most booming areas of the country liberal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
They didn't. Small town economies tend to die natural deaths and Republican economies tend to be at war with things that strengthen their economic survival. Look at what current Alaska Republican governor Dunleavy is doing to the Alaska's state university. He wants to cut state funding to the university by 40% which will result in many students leaving Alaska, unlikely to return.

Alaska’s governor is trying to destroy its universities. The state may never recover
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...em-budget-cuts

Old 07-29-2019, 03:42 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

You are one person. More people who want to make good money move to the city. Some people move out to the burbs once they have kids.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:51 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Are you joking? They universally elect people who use government to steal from the towns/suburbs and redirect capital to the cities. Compare blue state per capita spending levels towns/suburbs vs cities. I’m from Connecticut, the state has been raising taxes on the well run towns for years in order to bail out the mismanaged cities. Hartford requires an annual tax payer bail out. This is causing the residents of the towns absolutely despise the state government many are willing to take huge loses on their property to get away from the state. https://www.wfsb.com/news/survey-say...366a96431.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies