Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2019, 09:58 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
People act like the cities are dragging the country down, when in reality the cities have been pulling the country forward since the beginning.
Cities, Suburbs and Country all have a purpose and something to enjoy. Don't cut one down as Democrats, Obama and Hillary did then expect that those people don't feel the same about city dwelling. They just didn't have a need to attack city dwellers like you attacked country people. Now finally someone did and you're not liking it much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 10:15 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
With all the talk about how terrible America's cities are lately and how rural America is a shining example of the 'real America', why is rural America in such decline? Why is there so much poverty in the Ozarks and Appalachia? Why does everyone who has the means to want to move to the big city for employment and quality of life? In addition, very few cities are predominantly conservative.

https://www.citylab.com/perspective/...ecline/588883/
Because not everybody likes farming? Best guess.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:16 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Whites aren’t the only rural Americans. African Americans are just as rural.

Gawd...rural Oklahoma is an INCREDIBLE tragedy. Some of those towns look like hell.
It does. The absolute worst rural towns I've ever seen are in Oklahoma. These also happen to be some of the most conservative, pro-Trump towns in the country.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:17 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Yes, but the cities are still the engine driving the economy. Even if you’re not living in the heart of downtown, you’re still living off of the city’s economic productivity.
And rural areas are still the engine feeding America. If you work in the city and live in a rural area you aren't living off of anything, you're part of both.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I agree with this. It seems like instead of fixing places like Oklahoma and West Virginia, Republicans want to turn the entire country into them.

Oklahoma is so Republican though not because of economic plight, but because of cultural issues. It's very much about God, guns, and gays around here. Democrats are widely seen as out of touch with traditional American values and are less popular than ever around here. Meanwhile, Republicans offer no solutions to the real problems facing the state like a failing education system at all levels and a severe budget crisis. As long as the politicians wave a gun and a Bible and say "God bless America," the sheeple will fall in line.
That's because they are.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:19 AM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Your response to income inequality is duly noted. I presume these videos are of homeless encampments. This is what happens when capitalism is successful and there is no safety net for those that cannot compete. In your rural area they can live cheaply in trailers, run down housing, etc. Cities are extremely expensive. In my neighborhood, 2 bedroom condos can sell for $700,000. Can you afford that? What would keep your rural neighbors from living like those in the posted videos if they were to move to a coastal city? I gotta go to work so I can pay for my expensive city condo. Cheers.
So, you are blaming income inequality due to capitalism yet brag about your $700k condo and the job to pay for it. Guess I'm not sure what you are trying to say there...

Here is the funny thing, they wouldn't. Why would one ? They are much happier living in a $75k house on a lake, with much less living expenses.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:19 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Cities, Suburbs and Country all have a purpose and something to enjoy. Don't cut one down as Democrats, Obama and Hillary did then expect that those people don't feel the same about city dwelling. They just didn't have a need to attack city dwellers like you attacked country people. Now finally someone did and you're not liking it much.
I'm not cutting down rural areas. The cities ARE the economic engines of the country. It's also where most of the money is, which is why I can understand the frustration from those that have been left out.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:22 AM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I live in a town of about 15K. We have homeless living in the woods. You are naive if you think homelessness and tent cities are strictly limited to big cities.
Never said that did I ? It was a reply to a statement that "cities are making a comeback" ...

Old 07-30-2019, 10:24 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,493,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Never said that did I ? It was a reply to a statement that "cities are making a comeback" ...
Then why point out tents in the big city since they are all over america regard;less of city/town size? Perhaps I missed your point.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Your response to income inequality is duly noted. I presume these videos are of homeless encampments. This is what happens when capitalism is successful and there is no safety net for those that cannot compete. In your rural area they can live cheaply in trailers, run down housing, etc. Cities are extremely expensive. In my neighborhood, 2 bedroom condos can sell for $700,000. Can you afford that? What would keep your rural neighbors from living like those in the posted videos if they were to move to a coastal city? I gotta go to work so I can pay for my expensive city condo. Cheers.
But you live in Oakland CA... your $700K expensive city condo looks like crappy shoe box compared to my $450K 2 story, 5br home on 33 acres of land with a private lake. We all have our priorities, for you it's living nearby a certain area full of like-minded people who'll support you and your beliefs. For me it's to live in a really nice, safe area for my family where I will be left alone in peace and to have enough land to do whatever the hell I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies