Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2019, 10:31 AM

28,983 posts, read 14,330,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Then why point out tents in the big city since they are all over america regard;less of city/town size? Perhaps I missed your point.

If cities were really making a comeback, why are these tent cities increasing ? Seems like it would be going the other way if a city is prosperous ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 10:36 AM

28,983 posts, read 14,330,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
But you live in Oakland CA... your $700K expensive city condo looks like crappy shoe box compared to my $450K 2 story, 5br home on 33 acres of land with a private lake. We all have our priorities, for you it's living nearby a certain area full of like-minded people who'll support you and your beliefs. For me it's to live in a really nice, safe area for my family where I will be left alone in peace and to have enough land to do whatever the hell I want.

I'm with you. I'll take my $125k crappy little 900sqft cottage on a lake. I can walk out the front door and go boating, or jump on an ATV or snowmobile and hit the trails. We get our eggs from a neighbor, fresh bread from another, meats and chicken from a local farmer. Absolutely love it !

Old 07-30-2019, 10:37 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,461,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
If cities were really making a comeback, why are these tent cities increasing ? Seems like it would be going the other way if a city is prosperous ?
Not at all. As I pointed out homelessness is all over the country. And many homeless are migrants. That means a lot of those living in the tent cities came from other parts of the country. Even rich towns have homeless. Check out homelessness in Naples Fl a very wealthy town. The difference is that big cities don't have large swathes of woods so you see them out on sidewalks.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:38 AM

14,093 posts, read 4,479,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
With all the talk about how terrible America's cities are lately and how rural America is a shining example of the 'real America', why is rural America in such decline? Why is there so much poverty in the Ozarks and Appalachia? Why does everyone who has the means to want to move to the big city for employment and quality of life? In addition, very few cities are predominantly conservative.

https://www.citylab.com/perspective/...ecline/588883/
probably for college and university?
that's where most high paying tech jobs are at because it's near college and univ?

This is like saying if city America is so great, why does everyone want to buy food grow in rural America?

Old 07-30-2019, 10:41 AM

4,646 posts, read 4,513,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post

This is like saying if city America is so great, why does everyone want to buy food grow in rural America?
A cynic would say "so we don't have to subsidize farmers even more".

Old 07-30-2019, 10:44 AM

6,593 posts, read 4,967,606 times
This is what we know, the phenomenon of "brain drain" isnt new, its happening. You can say there is migration from blue cities in blue states to blue cities in red states sure, not sure how that helps rural areas. To be clear this is also happening in rural areas of blue states. If you cared about rural areas you should want to examine why this is happening, what we can do to reverse the trend, assuming young smart educated people coming back to those areas is a good thing and you want to to encourage that.

https://publicpolicy.wharton.upenn.e...-young-people-

Old 07-30-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Don't be stupid, you don't have the slightest clue what my idea of American Values are. You're just making bigoted statements based on your own beliefs and hate for what/who you think I am. It's all you do here, you mock and attack conservative Christians constantly because apparently someone hurt you in the past and now you hate all of us. You need serious mental help and it ain't because you're gay, it's because you hate people you don't even know.

I don't want gays in the closet, I want them to all have safe homes and good jobs. I don't care who goes to church or doesn't, that isn't my business. It's 2019, wake the **** up and realize that everyone doesn't hate you. Stop hiding behind the rainbow flag and realize that the failure in your life isn't because you like men, it's more because you're a **** poor man yourself.

Now go ahead and report this post even though you know I'm telling the truth.
You have answered hyperbole with an extra helping of hyperbole.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
But you live in Oakland CA... your $700K expensive city condo looks like crappy shoe box compared to my $450K 2 story, 5br home on 33 acres of land with a private lake. We all have our priorities, for you it's living nearby a certain area full of like-minded people who'll support you and your beliefs. For me it's to live in a really nice, safe area for my family where I will be left alone in peace and to have enough land to do whatever the hell I want.
LOL, you are not special. Who doesnt want a 450k house with a private lake, your area couldnt sustain the population if it could more people would move and it would no longer be a 450k house. People live in cities because the economic infrastructure is there.
Its going to be interesting, and I by no means wish any ill on anyone, but when the self driving truck fleet arrives a lot of areas that are supported by OTR truckers are going to take a big hit.
I work from home, I dont even have a requirement to live close to an airport, I am waiting for the next big shift to see where I move to next, I am considering Rural areas.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:02 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,514,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Actually the suburbs around cities are growing, not the cities themselves. It is about EMPLOYMENT. Most jobs are located in and around cities.

Yes, the cities have a LOT of problems. There are nice sections and downtown CBD's, but they are often surrounded by ghettos, poverty, and crime. Sad, but it is what Democrats do best. Ruin things.
It's no different in big Republican run cities. The murder rate is up this year in Tulsa.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:03 AM

36,015 posts, read 30,534,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Not at all. As I pointed out homelessness is all over the country. And many homeless are migrants. That means a lot of those living in the tent cities came from other parts of the country. Even rich towns have homeless. Check out homelessness in Naples Fl a very wealthy town. The difference is that big cities don't have large swathes of woods so you see them out on sidewalks.
Not like that.
We have some homeless. They live in various shelters supported by some tax dollars but mostly local churches and organizations. I know a couple people who lived in a tent or a vehicle in the woods but they both had mental challenges. I have never seen a tent city in the woods in rural "Appalachia".
Oh wait, we call those campgrounds.
Attached Thumbnails
If rural America is so great, why does everyone want to leave for the big city?-130795415454420048.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies