Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2019, 06:32 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,111,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Now I'm baffled. What are the non-college education alternatives available in rural areas? The trade schools are still in the cities.
You could apprentice under someone locally in a rural area and learn their trade?

Like for example, there is my husband's grandpa who is a farmer in a very teeny town (where the sign officially says like 60 people, but it's really less according to his family. I digress). As he has gotten to the age where he just cant physically do it despite wanting to, he partnered up with someone in a neighboring town.

This man got to learn from him and work his land for him and is/will be eventually taking over/buying/etc. some of his fields...I forget the exact details, but know it's this sort of learning experience that can still be valid and useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 06:37 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
You could apprentice under someone locally in a rural area and learn their trade?

Like for example, there is my husband's grandpa who is a farmer in a very teeny town (where the sign officially says like 60 people, but it's really less according to his family. I digress). As he has gotten to the age where he just cant physically do it despite wanting to, he partnered up with someone in a neighboring town.

This man got to learn from him and work his land for him and is/will be eventually taking over/buying/etc. some of his fields...I forget the exact details, but know it's this sort of learning experience that can still be valid and useful.
Exactly. The old timer well guy that worked on our well said he remembers drilling it when he was an apprentice, he was probably 60 ish now and owned the company.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:37 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I agree that alot of people = high rent. However if alot of people want to move to a city, you might want to ask yourself why this is. Why do so many people want to move to Seattle, Denver, and Portland? Why aren't Republican bastions like Tulsa and Oklahoma City attracting as many people?
Crazy weather location with no muh scenery and choo choos(light rail). Meanwhile another "Republican bastion" like Grand Rapids has been growing of late. All 3 of those cities have problems right now to the point where people(even millennials) want to move out.

Quote:
Just remember that the west coast (including California!) and Colorado used to be solidly Republican. So did Virginia and Florida. Even North Carolina and Arizona are both now "purple leaning red",
-Colorado has mostly voted blue in presidential elections since the 90s.
-Florida still has all 3 branches of state govt controlled by Rs despite being a swing state. Same with Arizona
-Obama won NC and the state govt was controlled by Ds throughout most of the 2000s before trending to red. Don't act like it just started turning purple.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:41 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Crazy weather location with no muh scenery and choo choos(light rail). Meanwhile another "Republican bastion" like Grand Rapids has been growing of late. All 3 of those cities have problems right now to the point where people(even millennials) want to move out.
Seattle, Denver, and Portland are still highly desirable cities for Millennials though. Oklahoma City and Tulsa are not. I'm not sure about Grand Rapids. It's one of the US cities I probably know the least about.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:47 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Nobody wants to move to Baltimore.

/thread.
...or Newark, Camden, Trenton, Irvington.......

Old 07-30-2019, 07:03 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Exactly. The old timer well guy that worked on our well said he remembers drilling it when he was an apprentice, he was probably 60 ish now and owned the company.
These types of anecdotes are for people who don't learn math.

I say so because of the basic history of one brand of our tree. They came to RI in the 1600's. They were "free men" and got assigned a nice plot of land. Their sons got 1/3 of that plot. Then their kids got 5 acres each. Now the families have moved on and all lots are 1/2 acre.

Using the same "new math", if 50 people work on a mid-sized project for a boss.....and if 10 of them are good enough to run the company....well, either there must be 10X as much work and money.....OR, only 1 out of the 10 is going to succeed. The rest will be left behind.

This is the legacy of the "free market"...the lack of planning. Wall Street and London stole the resources of many of the rural people...and, of course, some of it went to American fortunes also (Carnegie, Frick, etc.). But, for every one of those people there NEEDS to be 10's of thousands of the other people. And after Frick is done using up all the coal for coke, the people who live where the resource was extract from are SOL.

That's the reality of the situation. One can understand that in the olden daze people didn't think about such limitations. But today we know the score, yet many continue to believe that gross inequality and lack of planning is the "best way forward"...that the invisible hand will somehow make a greater and just society.

I think we see right before our very eyes...that it makes some great drugs, but not always a good society.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:28 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
Give me an example of someone wanting to leave their quiet rural spot for the big city life. There's a difference between "need" and "want". I doubt people stuck in Colorado or Washington state would WANT to leave their rural/exurban spots for Denver and Seattle, especially with the problems those 2 are having.

It's a mistake to equate rural with ONLY Appalachia or some drug infested bombed out small town in the middle of the country, because I tell you what, there are PLENTY of clean, safe rural communities throughout this country that are blood red if you want to go political.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:48 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
As a former resident of Grand Rapids, I can assure you the remarkable growth seen in that city is not from new residents being part of any "Republican bastion". Were it based on remaining staunchly Republican it would have remained being a unremarkable C-list burg snowbound for much of the year floated by no more than a handful of companies doing the same thing they have since the 1950's.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:36 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
...I forget the exact details, but know it's this sort of learning experience that can still be valid and useful.
I'm a huge fan of the apprenticeship model, but very few trades are like that any more. Farming? If you want to do it well, you need to hit the books. Modern farming is knowledge-intensive. Construction? Yes, you need to go out and swing the hammer, but you also need to be up on codes, materials etc. Heck, I have a machinist in-law, and the coding he needs to make CNC machines work right is complex - and that's not even touching on the materials knowledge and the safety & environmental regs.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:04 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Now I'm baffled. What are the non-college education alternatives available in rural areas? The trade schools are still in the cities.
Oklahoma has state run career tech schools in the bigger rural towns. If you want to know how to build a house or be a nurse, you can go there among other career pursuits. This is an example of one of the schools--Meridian Technology. Pictured.
https://www.meridiantech.edu/programs/

In addition, Meridian Technology Center’s ability to train industrial workers probably did more to sway ASCO, a Belgian aircraft component designer and manufacturer to locate in Stillwater than federal and state tax incentives, according to former OK State Rep. Cory Williams. It's too bad how these tech centers can't attract more industry and manufacturing to rural Oklahoma.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 07-30-2019 at 10:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies