U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 10:15 AM

18,877 posts, read 9,713,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Therein lies the problem. When you play dodge ball, it's like a requirement that you get hurt, given the nature of the game!
Yes to getting hurt within the bounds of the game but no if someone was intentionally targeting your head to hurt you. I played college basketball and spent too many hours in pickup games and I knew that I could get hurt playing, but intentionally trying to hurt is over the line and I never agreed to letting you try to hurt me....play by the spirit of the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 10:01 PM

1,381 posts, read 337,011 times
From what I understand they werent playing dodgeball. It was a "dodgeball like" game called "tips" where you dont throw the ball directly at other kids you throw it up in the air.
Apparently the game was over and he threw it hard aiming it right at his face. Also said "this is what (deleted) gets!"
So it wasnt part of gameplay it is exactly assault.
Dont know if I agree with criminal charges though.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:38 PM

831 posts, read 1,438,498 times
I've dealt with a lot of issues with kids on the playground or gym class, including parents filing charges and the police end of it. This is just from my experience, but laws do vary from state to state.

Anyone can file charges against someone else, so just because this mom filed charges doesn't mean anything. Someone can bump into me and I can file assault charges. At this point, I'm not sure what the outrage is. There are plenty of crazy parents out there and many of them file charges. The fact that this one out of all the cases made the news is rather suspicious.

I've had parents go to police when it wasn't really warranted and other times I deliberately informed them of their right to file charges with the police. The court in my area wouldn't really take action if there were no injuries or there was no way to prove the action was especially malicious or intending to cause injury.

I've had several overprotective parents file charges because they don't think the other kid was punished harshly enough for a recess incident. They file a report, the police talk to the principal and teachers involved, and it typically goes nowhere. None of them made the news though.

Even in pretty nasty fights in middle school, where one kid had visible injuries, the perpetrator would only get sentenced to community service. The court in my county counted community service as attending after school tutoring sessions. So they would go to tutoring for half the year and everything would be forgotten.

Police will not just jump in of their own accord and press charges. Schools usually don't involve or call police. In Texas, we could not call police for fights, only for drug offenses. A parent did have the right to press charges against the other child.

There were only a couple of cases where I deliberately informed a parent of their right to file charges, such as a one-sided fight ending in a real injury. I knew that I could only do so much to punish the child and thought something else should be done outside of a school district's power to hand out consequences.

I certainly do not feel bad for the 10 year old getting charged. Waiting for someone not to be looking, because the ball is out of bounds and play has stopped, and then smacking a ball into the side of their face hard enough to cause injury seems pretty evil to me. This wouldn't be allowed in any level of sporting events. Someone who is willing to do something like this usually has a history of it. The school applied their 1 day suspension and then they have to allow this other kid to go back to school, including recess. The other mom might be frustrated and just tired of this kid doing things like this.

My guess is it's not a sign of the end times, but just a story blown out of proportion, just to stir the pot, and one that probably happens 100 times a day across the U.S.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:31 PM

9,187 posts, read 3,045,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It's an upside down world now.

We played dodge ball a lot in gym, and everyone had fun. Even the nerdy kids, because they got to stick it to the cool kids. I never remember anyone being upset, or holding a grudge. It was one of the few times in gym, and school in general that I remember everyone laughing together.

We played out own very version of dodgeball, which oddly enough, we called. "Prisonball". It was hard-played and aggressive, but i can't remember anyone getting hurt. We looked forward to the contests as our favorite sports. The winning team was usually the one who had the quickest and most clever players. Any star athlete who fit the "Igmoo, the pride of South-Central High, was a sitting duck and would usually be the first to be put out.

Old Yesterday, 12:05 AM

1,381 posts, read 337,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
We played out own very version of dodgeball, which oddly enough, we called. "Prisonball". It was hard-played and aggressive, but i can't remember anyone getting hurt. We looked forward to the contests as our favorite sports. The winning team was usually the one who had the quickest and most clever players. Any star athlete who fit the "Igmoo, the pride of South-Central High, was a sitting duck and would usually be the first to be put out.
Probably the same game we called nation ball. Like dodge ball but you has 2 pens to throw through instead of 1 and there was more of a team aspect.
But alot of games we played wouldnt fly now like smear the *****... went like baseball you got to bat if you fielded the ball and made it to home plate without getting tackled by one of the other players first. I got my knee slammed on a sprinkler playing that, had to go to the hospital with water on the knee. Mom was pissed!
But then in those days (Im 57) normal kids got in a fist fight once a month. No suspensions. Kids bringing bb guns to school didnt see the swat team.
Now a kid eats a pop tart in the shape of a pistol hes expelled. Insane.

Old Yesterday, 12:21 AM

7,815 posts, read 2,488,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Probably the same game we called nation ball. Like dodge ball but you has 2 pens to throw through instead of 1 and there was more of a team aspect.
But alot of games we played wouldnt fly now like smear the *****... went like baseball you got to bat if you fielded the ball and made it to home plate without getting tackled by one of the other players first. I got my knee slammed on a sprinkler playing that, had to go to the hospital with water on the knee. Mom was pissed!
But then in those days (Im 57) normal kids got in a fist fight once a month. No suspensions. Kids bringing bb guns to school didnt see the swat team.
Now a kid eats a pop tart in the shape of a pistol hes expelled. Insane.
Those kids would have been charged with attempted murder had they fought this kid...

Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM

831 posts, read 1,438,498 times
And charges are dropped. It's really surprising that this story shocks people so much. It must happen at least 100 times a day across the U.S. Overprotective parents bring charges against other kids from recess/gym incidents all the time. Technically, they have a right to do this. I'm sure there are tons of them from parents of one race against parents of another race. If action were taken by the court against this kid, it would have been at least somewhat surprising. Essentially a police report was written, investigated, and dropped. I still don't know why this would make the news.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/...njury-n1037181

Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM

5,534 posts, read 6,931,904 times
http://kcfj570.com/2019/07/31/prosec...-assault-case/

Here is a little more to the story. The victim is a kid with a medical condition who already had been targeted in the past.

They were not playing dodgeball and the throw that hit the kid had nothing to do with the game they were playing.

While I agree it is best that assault charges were dropped, the initial story showed the sheer laziness and incompetence of the media. The true story is a special needs kid was bullied, but that apparently doesn't generate as much outrage and clicks as a false report of apparent racist generated assault charge on an angelic altar boy.

Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM

10,844 posts, read 4,478,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post

Here is a little more to the story. The victim is a kid with a medical condition who already had been targeted in the past.

They were not playing dodgeball and the throw that hit the kid had nothing to do with the game they were playing.

While I agree it is best that assault charges were dropped, the initial story showed the sheer laziness and incompetence of the media. The true story is a special needs kid was bullied, but that apparently doesn't generate as much outrage and clicks as a false report of apparent racist generated assault charge on an angelic altar boy.
If only they were just lazy and incompetent... and not working so hard to foment racial hatred.

Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,073,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post

Wait, the article in the link you provided simply repeats the dodgeball story, where did you see this other info as I apparently missed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or