U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 04:11 PM

34,727 posts, read 33,770,111 times

Advertisements

This is not a trick question. I really want to know what you think in all parties.

Assuming the politician isn't directly involved in the perversions or crimes of the criminal or pervert, generally speaking:

1) Is the recipient politician responsible for campaign contributions from perverts, criminals and other reprobates?

2) Would you feel differently if the candidate solicited the contribution from the perv, criminal or scoundrel?

3) How about past donations by the unsavory ones to politicians long since out of office just coming to light in the present?

Should any of the above have to pay it back?

I think I might be in the minority on this but if the politician has no connection to the bad actions of a donor, and especially if the politician didn't solicit the contribution, I don't think the politician should be tarred and feathered for it by the media, activists and other politicians and I also don't think he or she should have to pay it back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:51 PM

11,872 posts, read 6,357,932 times
Only a fool would return donations obtained legally. Sadly, political pressure and extremists on both sides lead many to act foolishly.

Old Today, 04:55 PM

22,839 posts, read 16,905,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This is not a trick question. I really want to know what you think in all parties.

Assuming the politician isn't directly involved in the perversions or crimes of the criminal or pervert, generally speaking:

1) Is the recipient politician responsible for campaign contributions from perverts, criminals and other reprobates?

2) Would you feel differently if the candidate solicited the contribution from the perv, criminal or scoundrel?

3) How about past donations by the unsavory ones to politicians long since out of office just coming to light in the present?

Should any of the above have to pay it back?

I think I might be in the minority on this but if the politician has no connection to the bad actions of a donor, and especially if the politician didn't solicit the contribution, I don't think the politician should be tarred and feathered for it by the media, activists and other politicians and I also don't think he or she should have to pay it back.
1) In that generic context, no. Just like they are not responsible for whomever follows or supports them.

2) I would only feel differently if I was convinced that the candidate knew very well about the person's past - if they committed crimes (whether they got away with them or not) - just because we see photos of a candidate with some unscrupulous person, it doesn't mean that they knew each other well. And yes, I say that for even ex-candidates like Hillary.

They may "know of" someone, they may have been at a party - dinner party, gathering, whatever - and were seen together, but that does not mean that they know each other very well. If I believe that they didn't really know the person other than it's one famous person standing there talking to another famous person, then no, I don't hold them accountable for that.

There's a lot of phoniness going on when there are "$5000 a plate" type dinner parties - it doesn't mean that the candidate actually knows the people well. It just means that the person was invited for their deep pockets. Hobnobbing is for gain - it's not to make friends. It's networking - that doesn't mean "life long friendship". It's a bunch of arse kissing and fake laughs at someone's dumb joke. It's a lot of bs conversations, it could be some backdoor deals - it's all for gain, nothing more.

3) I'm not sure how that is any different than 1? My answer is the same on this one as is it was for question 1 and 2.

I agree with your last paragraph.

Again, this does go for Dems, Repubs, Independents. They may know of the person, but that doesn't mean that they know everything about the person. Sometimes they do, and accepting that donation doesn't make them look very good, and sometimes they don't - but I don't think they should have to pay it back once they find out that the donor is pile of trash.

Old Today, 10:17 PM

4,539 posts, read 855,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
1) In that generic context, no. Just like they are not responsible for whomever follows or supports them.

2) I would only feel differently if I was convinced that the candidate knew very well about the person's past - if they committed crimes (whether they got away with them or not) - just because we see photos of a candidate with some unscrupulous person, it doesn't mean that they knew each other well. And yes, I say that for even ex-candidates like Hillary.

They may "know of" someone, they may have been at a party - dinner party, gathering, whatever - and were seen together, but that does not mean that they know each other very well. If I believe that they didn't really know the person other than it's one famous person standing there talking to another famous person, then no, I don't hold them accountable for that.

There's a lot of phoniness going on when there are "$5000 a plate" type dinner parties - it doesn't mean that the candidate actually knows the people well. It just means that the person was invited for their deep pockets. Hobnobbing is for gain - it's not to make friends. It's networking - that doesn't mean "life long friendship". It's a bunch of arse kissing and fake laughs at someone's dumb joke. It's a lot of bs conversations, it could be some backdoor deals - it's all for gain, nothing more.

3) I'm not sure how that is any different than 1? My answer is the same on this one as is it was for question 1 and 2.

I agree with your last paragraph.

Again, this does go for Dems, Repubs, Independents. They may know of the person, but that doesn't mean that they know everything about the person. Sometimes they do, and accepting that donation doesn't make them look very good, and sometimes they don't - but I don't think they should have to pay it back once they find out that the donor is pile of trash.
Of course just because say there is a hobnob with 20 cheerleaders and only two men ...laughing hysterically after one is clearly seen feeling up a few on the dance floor. ...doesn't have to mean the two men in anyway have anything in common. Donation or no donation.

Same to be said of another man accepting donations and only photographed surrounded by persons not feeling anyone up on dance floor.
Cause in both scenarios there are camera men/ women documenting it all. ...?

Is that what your trying to get across? ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or