U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 07:57 PM

3,238 posts, read 1,716,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I saw a NWSL game on ESPN over the weekend.

I like the woman's game. It moves at a faster pace and I agree they flop less then the men.

The woman should be paid the same.

USSF receives the majority of their funds from youth sports. A lot of salaries at the state and National levels get paid from those funds.

The National body pays those salaries for National Team players, male and female.
Yes ESPN picked up their contract for the rest of the year after they were not renewed. I think it was the Lifetime network. Not a 100% sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 07:58 PM

8,847 posts, read 2,529,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That’s not true at all the women’s soccer team is going on a 6 nation tour starting next month, but you wouldn’t know that since you don’t watch soccer.
I watch mens soccer. I will not support the women's team after that disgraceful show of disrespect to our flag. They threw it on the ground like it was trash. The symbol of our nation, that are supposed to be representing....

I can't find it in my heart to support them. I will say this. At least 1 player understood. She ran over and picked the flag up, before it could be stomped on or disrespected any further.

By the way I had to youtube it because I didn't watch the game. An Australian ex-pat told me about it.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:09 PM

3,809 posts, read 1,831,191 times
God said, Abraham make me a boring sport

Abraham said God, here's soccer

God said you must be putting me on

Abraham said ok now it's girls only

God said, damn that is boring

Old 07-29-2019, 09:11 PM

461 posts, read 83,643 times
Hell with them. Stupid sport worshipped by liberal trash.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:22 PM

5,972 posts, read 4,571,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Thatís not true at all the womenís soccer team is going on a 6 nation tour starting next month, but you wouldnít know that since you donít watch soccer.
Nobody will give a crap about that. They may care about the summer olympics next year, though.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:23 PM

18,343 posts, read 9,037,285 times
Now women's beach volleyball. That's a sport one can watch.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:24 PM

355 posts, read 453,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
The only thing that sucks more than soccer is women's soccer.
Exactly!

Old 07-29-2019, 11:54 PM

14,101 posts, read 16,155,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I don't know about this one. On the one hand, the same effort is expended by each person, man or woman, but the women still receive less money. However, the women's team as a whole may (I don't know which numbers to believe, I'm going off the first stories about this) bring in less money. It's almost like salespeople, if they're commissioned, the ones that apply more effort bring in more money. But unlike salespeople, the players don't have a lot of direct control over that so...I honestly don't know.
Minor leagues and the majors.

Different pay structures. Women are paid a base salary of $100,000 per year, plus an additional $72,500 to play in the NWSL. They can of course go to another league in a foreign country but then they won't get the extra $72,500. They get health insurance. Men are paid a base salary of $0.00 and no health benefits. It's a bit hard to compare the $100,000 +72,500 incentive for playing in the NWSL base to the pay compensation of the men's team. In 2018, for example, the men's team played 11 games. They get paid $5,000 a game for playing and more for winning, up to $17,625 total for winning a game dependent on the ranking of the team they beat. 2018 was a very quiet year for the men's team as they played nothing but friendlies. Most years they play cup games of some sort. They've played 12 so far this year as they played 6 games in the Gold Cup and lost in the final to Mexico. The average is somewhere around 18-19 games per year.

Short version is it's somewhat equal but structured very, very differently. On average the men earn more. They're certainly not making $300,000 - $450,000 though, which is the claim of 38 cents on the dollar. They potentially could, but only in World Cup years and they'd need to go pretty far in the World Cup. But then you're comparing World Cup to non World Cup on top of pay for performance to guaranteed pay. What's not at all equal is World Cup bonuses, but then $30 million pool for the women's World Cup and $400 million for the men's.

The bigger picture is soccer or sports as a whole. The NWSL is not the MLS. A&E Lifetime just decided midseason it would rather not air NWSL games because reruns of Military Makeover or whatever was much more profitable. That's not good for the prospect of anything resembling equal pay for playing soccer for women. But it's not all bad news either. Visa sponsorship for example made is abundantly clear who exactly they value more and it's not the men. I'm not sure how much that changes the current 2017 contract or the previous one before that, but going forward it's a huge amount of leverage. Sure, World Cup payout isn't much for the women but then there's the exposure that's netting sponsors like Visa making it abundantly clear who exactly is bringing in the bacon. That's exactly why US Soccer has put the kind of money into developing women's soccer that they have. ESPN has picked up the remainder of the 2019 NWSL broadcast rights. They're not exactly jumping in with both feet, but if gets viewership and they see momentum going forward they'll renew.

Old Yesterday, 12:09 AM

34,737 posts, read 33,779,908 times
Just like in the entertainment industry where people (like Snoop Dog who I think was the last to do it) are screaming women in soccer should be paid more, you get paid or money offered based on fannies in the seats. I don't know of any women's professional sports team who consistently draw large crowds or viewers (who see ads) just like I don't know of any actresses who have people lining up to see the latest Meryl Streep or Julianne Moore movie, (for example).

Old Yesterday, 01:35 AM

9,423 posts, read 4,321,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
They lost to a 15 and under boys team 5-2. My son knows someone that was just picked in the 1st round of the MLS draft. Says it's two different sports. You can't compare men's soccer to women's soccer.
Well lets start with something every red blooded American can agree with, Soccer Sucks!

That said, it is absurd for women to try and claim they deserve equal pay in sports because as one poster claims, they have won more championships.
The very best professional woman basketball player could not make a college mens team. Probably not even a boys high school team.
The same is true of any athletic sport.

This is not to say women shouldn't be paid, because if there is enough of an audience who wants to pay to see them play XYZ, more power to them.
But when activists and/or feminists start in with claims of gender discrimination due to pay differences, it is time to tell them what pier to jump off of.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or