U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

52,125 posts, read 41,961,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
And they deserve every bit of those brickbats.

It's not just about the players' compensation, but also playing, travel and field conditions as well as promoting their games.
I am happy it's going to arbitration and support the women getting whatever their fair share is.

However, the brutally dishonest press releases by their legal team to try to sway public opinion are not something I'm very happy about in that they intentionally tried to mislead the public. You've repeated those same memes in this thread and also didn't seem to know that it was already headed to arbitration.

I think you should brace yourself for disappointing arbitration results if you have any expectation of them ending up close to the mens pay levels.

If one day they pass the men, then great, but let's be honest about the TOTAL revenues and not just try to fool people into blindly supporting their claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM
Status: "You are only coming through in waves." (set 11 days ago)

8,169 posts, read 3,204,765 times
I already don't care about soccer and the women's team's anti-American attitude isn't inspiring me to give them a second look. They made it abundantly clear that they won the cup for themselves not their country so I'm not sure why their country is expected to support them.

I don't care what they get paid or not paid, I still won't be watching them.

Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM

29,721 posts, read 15,561,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
when I watch sports, I want to see the best. Kinda eliminates women's sports.
One sport where several women really impress me is American Ninja Warrior. There are women competing on that who perform better than a lot of very talented men.

Yes, those top women still aren't as talented as the top men, but they are better than a majority of the men competing.

Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM

9,914 posts, read 6,656,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I am happy it's going to arbitration and support the women getting whatever their fair share is.

However, the brutally dishonest press releases by their legal team to try to sway public opinion are not something I'm very happy about in that they intentionally tried to mislead the public. You've repeated those same memes in this thread and also didn't seem to know that it was already headed to arbitration.

I think you should brace yourself for disappointing arbitration results if you have any expectation of them ending up close to the mens pay levels.

If one day they pass the men, then great, but let's be honest about the TOTAL revenues and not just try to fool people into blindly supporting their claim.
Oh, I know it was going to arbitration.

I'm just countering the usual sexist nonsense being bandied around in these threads justifying the unequal treatment.

and US Soccer's statement is deceptive - look at the context of the pay:

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/20...mnt-no-context

As for total revenue - it's highly likely that the women's program gets much less in terms of investment than the men. Context again. So what's the return on investment?

The USWNT are doing the same thing just as US Soccer - playing in the court of public opinion.

Old Today, 12:09 AM

1,736 posts, read 1,160,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Soccer? What's that?
Its a sport played by people who arent very good at paying sports watched by fans who are too drunk to appreciate a real sport.

Old Today, 02:34 AM

1,127 posts, read 400,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I saw a NWSL game on ESPN over the weekend.

I like the woman's game. It moves at a faster pace
Only if you were fast forwarding it.

Old Today, 04:49 AM

2,760 posts, read 1,960,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
Its a sport played by people who arent very good at paying sports watched by fans who are too drunk to appreciate a real sport.

It is perfectly fine for one not to like or care for a particular sport, but your post is out of sheer ignorance.

Old Today, 04:54 AM

11,851 posts, read 4,057,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
Not sure why anyone would be too drunk to appreciate the game.

As firstly in the UK if you are drunk you can be refused admmission to the ground, and secondly alcohol is not permitted pitch side at football (soccer) games. Most clubs have private boxes and other facilities where you can eat and drink (including alcohol) but they are expensive and the average fan often just has a cup of tea, coffee or bovril (beef tea) and perhaps a meat pie, burgeror hotdog with chips (french fries) at half time.

Most games kick off at 3pm on a Saturday, and you have 45 minutes each half and a 15 minites stoppage at half time, so that's 1 hour 45 minutes including half time, so it's not as long as many sports, and Rugby is even less at 40 minutes each half and a 10 minute half time break, whilst limited over T20 Cricket averages around 3 hours 10 minutes. Both American Football average over 3 hours 12 minutes a game, wqith baseball averaging ar around 3 hours and basketball at around 2 hours 15 minutes, whilst ice hockey averages 2 hours 20 minutes.

In terms of the sport itself, at the highest level players must be very skillful and very fit as the game is physically demanding and in terms of most positions involves a lot of running and a high degree of pace.

How Much Does Food & Drink Cost at UK Football Stadiums | Football Stadiums

Last edited by Brave New World; Today at 05:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or