U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

4,837 posts, read 3,495,356 times

Advertisements

Can we at least agree that fear is an emotion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM

4,012 posts, read 2,067,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Conservatives are also consistently happier than progressives. I think that's due to self-knowledge for both parties.

The conservative knows he or she is favored in life, whether through genetics or environment. Success is attainable and maybe even probable. If your skids are greased, why wouldn't you be satisfied with the status quo?

The progressive knows the odds are against them achieving what they want. This could be because, as the article alludes, their expectations are utopian and impossible to meet. Or it could be because he or she is disfavored in life, whether through genetics or environment. Success is harder to achieve and unlikely to happen.

The following is all anecdotal, but conservatives are usually from the dominant culture, are more physically attractive, and come from intact families, all greatly increasing the chances of life success. Intelligence is a mixed bag, but in the case of progressives intelligence often seems to merely increase awareness of their situation without increasing the ability to change that situation.
Wow! Not only are conservatives "favored in life, usually from the dominant culture, and more physically attractive", but they also have whiter teeth and shinier hair! Gosh, who wouldn't want to be one? ()

Old Today, 06:37 AM

16,292 posts, read 9,147,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Lol the party against science is trying to use science to bash the left? And yes psychology is considered a science
you clearly fit the conclusion of the scientists who did this study. suggesting we don't like science is proof of your ignorance where we are concerned.

Old Today, 06:52 AM

16,883 posts, read 9,164,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Conservatives are also consistently happier than progressives. I think that's due to self-knowledge for both parties.

The conservative knows he or she is favored in life, whether through genetics or environment. Success is attainable and maybe even probable. If your skids are greased, why wouldn't you be satisfied with the status quo?

The progressive knows the odds are against them achieving what they want. This could be because, as the article alludes, their expectations are utopian and impossible to meet. Or it could be because he or she is disfavored in life, whether through genetics or environment. Success is harder to achieve and unlikely to happen.

The following is all anecdotal, but conservatives are usually from the dominant culture, are more physically attractive, and come from intact families, all greatly increasing the chances of life success. Intelligence is a mixed bag, but in the case of progressives intelligence often seems to merely increase awareness of their situation without increasing the ability to change that situation.
Yes, studies show that across the globes those who identify as conservative are happier than those who identify as liberal.

If you want to change the world you are likely unhappy with the way that it is.

Also, liberals when having a personal failure were more likely to blame external sources and conservatives were more likely to blame their own actions. I think it would be depressing to always see yourself as a victim of someone else.

Even fat liberals would blame DNA and big corporations. Fat conservatives blame their eating choices and exercise choices.

Old Today, 07:25 AM

7,016 posts, read 2,560,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
But I do think it's a relational problem if a sizable portion of the country can't deal with facts and have a reasonable discussion, or misrepresent what I think about an issue and resort to name calling. Just as a culture - how do you get past that? How do you ever solve any problems?
First step -> stop thinking of the collective you call culture and start thinking of individuals and their natural rights.

Let me ask you, in your voluntary associations, do you have these "hostility based on ignorance" problems? With the people you choose to associate with, I mean, not the ones you are forced to deal with because "the culture" ordered it so. Even the people you do find disagreement with within your personal sphere of associations, I bet you have junk like mutual respect, cooperation, understanding, etc. In other words, left to your own individual devices inside your own VOLUNTARY associations, this isn't a problem and there's nothing to solve.

The problem then, is that people you don't choose to associate have some sort of power or influence over your life, and because you don't know them nor they you, ignorance and their power/influence over you leads to hostility. THAT is the problem. Collectives having powers over individuals that no individual themselves possess, and that collective being almost totally ignorant about most things. It's literally impossible to NOT screw that up and end up creating hostility everywhere.

Think about it. If a progressive liberal sits on a desert island, not bothering you or anyone else, do you care that they are progressive? Do you even notice? Let's make it more local and say it's one of your best friends. They are wildly different from you ideologically, but you both CHOOSE to not let that bug you, maybe you heckle each other now and then, but it's all good. Does their progressive ideology bother or affect you? Probably not. It's when a bunch of them together hire some agents of tyranny to oppress you in the name of that ideology...now there's a problem.

But is it the ideology that is the problem? No, because it's the same ideology as the deserted island guy and your friend. The problem is that a collective has power over you, not the ideology that drives that power. It is both immoral and illogical for a collection of individuals to grant themselves rights and powers over others simply because a majority of them agree to.

That immoral and illogical rights/power structure of the collective is the basis of the hostility, because a person who does not know you, understand you or even care about you has some amount of control over your life...and you had no say in that arrangement, so their total ignorance of all things "you" pisses you off...and it should. If a conservative rules over a liberal and just figures they know what's best for that liberal....the liberal should be mad as hell. It works in any direction, this concept.

And there's only one way to solve that problem - for no collective to have rights/powers over an individual that the individual does not possess for themselves. You know, kinda the bottom line of all my (our) anarchist thinking.

Old Today, 08:30 AM

28,636 posts, read 15,537,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
First step -> stop thinking of the collective you call culture and start thinking of individuals and their natural rights.

Let me ask you, in your voluntary associations, do you have these "hostility based on ignorance" problems? With the people you choose to associate with, I mean, not the ones you are forced to deal with because "the culture" ordered it so. Even the people you do find disagreement with within your personal sphere of associations, I bet you have junk like mutual respect, cooperation, understanding, etc. In other words, left to your own individual devices inside your own VOLUNTARY associations, this isn't a problem and there's nothing to solve.

The problem then, is that people you don't choose to associate have some sort of power or influence over your life, and because you don't know them nor they you, ignorance and their power/influence over you leads to hostility. THAT is the problem. Collectives having powers over individuals that no individual themselves possess, and that collective being almost totally ignorant about most things. It's literally impossible to NOT screw that up and end up creating hostility everywhere.

Think about it. If a progressive liberal sits on a desert island, not bothering you or anyone else, do you care that they are progressive? Do you even notice? Let's make it more local and say it's one of your best friends. They are wildly different from you ideologically, but you both CHOOSE to not let that bug you, maybe you heckle each other now and then, but it's all good. Does their progressive ideology bother or affect you? Probably not. It's when a bunch of them together hire some agents of tyranny to oppress you in the name of that ideology...now there's a problem.

But is it the ideology that is the problem? No, because it's the same ideology as the deserted island guy and your friend. The problem is that a collective has power over you, not the ideology that drives that power. It is both immoral and illogical for a collection of individuals to grant themselves rights and powers over others simply because a majority of them agree to.

That immoral and illogical rights/power structure of the collective is the basis of the hostility, because a person who does not know you, understand you or even care about you has some amount of control over your life...and you had no say in that arrangement, so their total ignorance of all things "you" pisses you off...and it should. If a conservative rules over a liberal and just figures they know what's best for that liberal....the liberal should be mad as hell. It works in any direction, this concept.

And there's only one way to solve that problem - for no collective to have rights/powers over an individual that the individual does not possess for themselves. You know, kinda the bottom line of all my (our) anarchist thinking.
I think you are missing where I am at with this.

Being black - my voluntary associations could be continuously hostile, but I don't roll like that. But if hostile topics are brought up, I am honest about things. Ultimately I am an ambassador for Jesus Christ - and I am not going to let politics ruin my real relationships. But I went back home to visit family recently and they were going on and on about Trump - I gave my opinions civilly, they were incredulous that I support Trump, but we move on.

Part of why this is interesting to me is that I would like to at least make them understand why I voted for Trump and Democrats are simply unelectable right now. But if they take cues from CNN, MSNBC, etc. and don't look at the stuff he has done like record low unemployment, or First Step... I guess I am am trying to put logic into it so it makes sense to me. I'm still working on it.

As far as the rest of what you posted, others don't have power over me. That's not a problem. It's not even an ideology issue for me - everyone does not think the same. I don't have a problem with that.

It's the seemingly childlike trait in some adults that puts fingers in ears and claims without any logic - you're racist... you want to poison the earth and kill us all... you're a bigot... you hate the poor and don't want to give them health care... and it is an emotional response based on a lack of knowledge or fear. And they seem to be incapable of understanding why I think "free" health care is not the answer (for example). I guess I am able to understand the argument from the other side and reasonably disagree. I don't understand an adult blindly calling someone names just because they disagree with something.

I say it's childlike - because let's say a son wants a toy and the dad says no. He can't buy it because he doesn't have the money - and he doesn't get into the whole financial aspect with his son. The son throws a tantrum because he can't have the toy. He calls his dad mean and storms off. Would the son have a different reaction if he understood that dad couldn't afford the toy because of the costs of maintaining the whole household? Maybe - if he is an older child. If the child had more info and understood it, maybe he doesn't throw the tantrum.

The propaganda media puts out a bunch of information and opinion that leads people into these "tantrums" (for lack of a better word) - where they emotionally come to conclusions without any logic. Here's one from another thread...

Trump wants to take America back to where white men are in control.

I'm black - why would I want white men in control as they were from decades past? There is no logic in that statement based on what Trump has done and his past dealings with other black folk.

Hopefully that clarifies where I am on this. The post is long enough.

Old Today, 08:42 AM

9,923 posts, read 21,193,997 times
Accurate for Far Left like Antifa or the Squad but most Democrats are more pragmatic and realistic. The media and social media is in the Far Left's corner, exaggerating their true reach.

Old Today, 08:55 AM

28,636 posts, read 15,537,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
It’s the internet. It has reconditioned human beings to react and speak to others in a way we never would have dreamed of doing “in person”. Unfortunately, that in turn has emboldened the angriest of souls to now confront people “in person” as if they were on the internet. The goal post toward complete breakdown of society keeps getting moved closer and closer to that goal.
There's a toxic soup of things happening - part of which is being orchestrated by elites in parts unknown.
  • Manipulation of information - certain facts get highlighted, other facts are hidden
  • Opinion and gossip masquerading as real news
  • Use of polls and surveys as news - which can be used as peer pressure, since everyone else feels this way
  • Images of attacks against others on social media emboldens more attacks - which is in line with your post
  • Lack of education in schools to enhance critical thinking
  • God is no longer relevant

I think all of these play a part in the degrading of the culture.

Old Today, 09:27 AM

16,093 posts, read 6,334,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
so a social scientist does scientific research backed up by experimentation and peer review, and its "intellectual laziness" ? why? because the conclusion isn't what you like?

LOL.
Arrogance might be a better word. They assume because the so-called intelligentsia, i.e. the media and university elites are with them that everyone else is dumb.

Old Today, 09:33 AM
Status: "You are only coming through in waves." (set 12 days ago)

8,178 posts, read 3,204,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
My point for bring this up was not about solving the political issue as you described it. I agree with you from the politicians perspective about keeping us divided and ill-informed. And I'm not really saying it's their fault.

But I do think it's a relational problem if a sizable portion of the country can't deal with facts and have a reasonable discussion, or misrepresent what I think about an issue and resort to name calling. Just as a culture - how do you get past that? How do you ever solve any problems?
Your original point was a good one. For some reason Volobjectarian decided this was a good pivot point for his largely unrelated rant about anarchy. He makes some good points and also blew a lot of hot air but none of it really addressed your main topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies