Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 10:28 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,428,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
No, it's intellectual laziness. There is no one way all liberals everywhere think. I know it's easier to go "libz r the b0rg lol" and call it a day, but that isn't realistic, considering liberals are individuals with individual thoughts and individual beliefs.
Those individual thoughts and individual beliefs may be diverse, but they're diverse along a narrow spectrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 10:33 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,317 times
One could teach a class about the psychology of progressive SJWs and still not even scratch the figurative surface.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:35 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
To the OP point, it isn't "progressive" hostility that uses the "because I don't understand it, I am going to make up something that I can hate on and get to hating on it" psychology. That's hostility generally. That's the basis of of virtually all "anti-something" hatreds. Caricatures and easily understood memes stand in for reason and knowledge, and ignorance rules the day.

Why do you think politicians speak in platitudes, bromides and 3 second meme soundbites? It isn't because they want you to reason, think, deliberate, or anything of the sort. They want you to react...preferably overreact. They want hysterics to overrule logic. Think about it...if you based every vote on logical, sober, thoughtful deliberation of the facts, history, pattern recognition, etc...95% of the political class wouldn't stand a chance being elected to dog catcher, much less an actual position of power. So they appeal to your emotions, sympathies, fears, insecurities and yes, hatreds.

Knowledge is the ultimate power, and they want you to remain weak so that they remain unchallenged. They want you so busy fighting over whether you should have them harming Grandma in the present or your grandchildren in the future that you remain ignorant of the fact that they shouldn't be harming anyone, ever, and who the f*** gave them that power? 99% of you oblige them, regardless of ideological team. You spend so much time arguing over which style of shackle everyone should be wearing that you forget to question how the hell you ended up enslaved in the first place.

This thread does the same thing. Those guys, the ones over there on that side of the aisle, they are the "real" problem, and life would be so great if only. To which those guys over there reply, no no, if only it weren't for you! Meanwhile, the actual problem sits back and enjoys the show as their marionettes do farcical, mock combat.

Newsflash...both sides are colossally ignorant of their true problem/enemy, and they are so doped up on cheap highs from the welfare state that they've become incapable of seeing their twisted reality for what it is.
Dangerous post with public schools starting up soon. You may be re-sentenced to another round of indoctrination.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:55 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,474 times
Lol the party against science is trying to use science to bash the left? And yes psychology is considered a science

Old 07-30-2019, 10:59 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You're not getting it. We are all individuals. We are going to process things of the world differently.

Just in your post - the environment of students go beyond the education system. What about the home environment? How do their parents think? How are problems solved in the home? Who are their influences outside of the home? All of that goes into how an individual processes information or events that they take in. It's not solely about the education system.

This can go in so many different directions.
Your own article blamed the education system.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:06 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Conservatives are also consistently happier than progressives. I think that's due to self-knowledge for both parties.

The conservative knows he or she is favored in life, whether through genetics or environment. Success is attainable and maybe even probable. If your skids are greased, why wouldn't you be satisfied with the status quo?

The progressive knows the odds are against them achieving what they want. This could be because, as the article alludes, their expectations are utopian and impossible to meet. Or it could be because he or she is disfavored in life, whether through genetics or environment. Success is harder to achieve and unlikely to happen.

The following is all anecdotal, but conservatives are usually from the dominant culture, are more physically attractive, and come from intact families, all greatly increasing the chances of life success. Intelligence is a mixed bag, but in the case of progressives intelligence often seems to merely increase awareness of their situation without increasing the ability to change that situation.
disfavored in life? I was born in 60, women were expected to get married, procreate, be Molly Maid and Betty Crocker and worse... "dependent on someone else".

Women wanting an education and a profession was disfavored as you call it. But that didn't stop us unless looking for an excuse. And if anyone thinks being dependent is an easy way they are wrong. Never expect because you'll be disappointed. A dependent person is never a free person.

Allowing others to dictate what you do with your life means you give them power over you. Don't expect things handed to you because you think you are "disfavored". Life's not fair, never will be fair. Failing because you think you are disfavored is an excuse for inaction.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:21 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Well done ^^^^^
Kind of well done, but the underlying context of the stateless society is not one many would agree with. Also it doesn't get to the point in the OP about the modern progressive's general inability to see any bit of a rival's point of view in any but the most cartoonishly villainous manner.

If his point was just that the left and right are identical in that regard, there was no need to take us down through AnCap corner to get us to that destination.

In my own experience I have noted a greater ability, in the general sense, of those on the right or those with more libertarian(but not AnCap) views to see the other side from its own perspective than is present in people of the modern progressive left. You have not noticed the same?

Old 07-30-2019, 11:31 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
The conservative hears the progressive’s latest demands and says, “I can see how you might come to that conclusion, but I think you’ve overlooked the following…
Yeah, this is exactly how conservatives handle conversations with or about liberals.

In fact, it sounds like it could have come out of the mouth of Rush Limbaugh or Michael Savage. LOL.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:35 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
People on the far left are emotion-based and not logic or fact-based in their politics.

I've told the story previously about a friend who describes herself as progressive who asked me how I could possibly be moderate in my views. When I came back with data and facts, she said she didn't know about any of that but she knew in her heart she was right. I asked if she had data or facts that she could share and she had none, but repeated she knew in her heart what was right. I asked her where she got her news - what tv shows or papers and she said she doesn't watch or read the news.

I'm sure not all people on the far left are like her, but I do believe what I stated - they are emotionally-driven and not fact-based in their thinking.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:41 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
People on the far left are emotion-based and not logic or fact-based in their politics.

I've told the story previously about a friend who describes herself as progressive who asked me how I could possibly be moderate in my views. When I came back with data and facts, she said she didn't know about any of that but she knew in her heart she was right. I asked if she had data or facts that she could share and she had none, but repeated she knew in her heart what was right. I asked her where she got her news - what tv shows or papers and she said she doesn't watch or read the news.

I'm sure not all people on the far left are like her, but I do believe what I stated - they are emotionally-driven and not fact-based in their thinking.
My best friend’s mother is a 70 year-old progressive out in SF (where I’m from myself) who has become SO overwrought with emotion that it’s become impossible to hold a conversation with her on ANY topic without her managing to connect the dots back to Trump. I was visiting my friend not too long ago and her mother began querying me about the southern border, which I live under 200 miles from. Before I could even respond she began weeping and sobbing over “the children, the children!” and got herself so worked up she got up and went to her bedroom and closed the door.

Now, I’ve been told in the past that my tone can be “coarse and forceful” in conversation, but that is THE first time that I’ve ever made someone cry without uttering a single word at all. It was pretty dramatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies