U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:53 AM

11,045 posts, read 6,151,185 times

Advertisements

Arming and otherwise supporting our enemies and alienating our allies. It's the Trump Doctrine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:17 AM

7,097 posts, read 4,034,767 times
Originally Posted by wit-nit
Quote:
And the Saudi's re-sell the arms to our enemies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Ah, no they don't. Our intelligence heavily monitors them. If they did that they'd NEVER get another thing, and we'd embargo their oil, and do whatever else we could to punish them.

Plus without the parts and maintenance they'd need from us they couldn't actually fly. Do you think they have the technology, and parts to maintain them? Look what happened to the F-14's the Iranians bought under the Shah. They NEVER flew.

Why do you make up LIES?

This means lucrative jobs for U.S. workers.
Not making up lies....this has been well documented.

Quote:
US Arms sold to An Allie, Lost to an Enemy

The US shipped Weapons and Secrets to the Saudis and Emiratis. Now Some are in the Hands of fighters
linked to Al Qaeda and Iran

Hodeidah, Yemen (CNN) – Saudi Arabia and its coalition partners have transferred American-made weapons to al Qaeda-linked fighters, hardline Salafi militias, and other factions waging war in Yemen, in violation of their agreements with the United States, a CNN investigation has found.
The weapons have also made their way into the hands of Iranian-backed rebels battling the coalition for control of the country, exposing some of America's sensitive military technology to Tehran and potentially endangering the lives of US troops in other conflict zones.
Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, its main partner in the war, have used the US-manufactured weapons as a form of currency to buy the loyalties of militias or tribes, bolster chosen armed actors, and influence the complex political landscape, according to local commanders on the ground and analysts who spoke to CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019...-lost-us-arms/
/quote]

I don't care if someone is a Democrat or a Republican I think this is a terrible idea.
There are many Republicans who feel the same way.
Quote:
Rand Paul:
We must continue the fight against selling arms to Saudi Arabia

Saudi Arabia disregards basic human rights, slaughters innocents in Yemen, horrifically murders dissidents, puts millions on the edge of starvation and supports and strengthens our enemies.
One would think it would be an easy choice to not sell our weapons to such a country, but like every push for positive change in Washington, getting Congress to take a stand on this issue has been a hard-fought battle.
Recently, we gained a major victory, when more than 50 senators voted to pass 22 joint resolutions of disapproval to block over $8 billion in American weapons and support primarily going to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
Quote:
Why do you make up LIES?

This means lucrative jobs for U.S. workers.
Are those jobs worth the cost of the blood on our hands?

Would you want to sell someone a gun, if you knew that they might possibly turn around and shoot you with the same gun? Would it still be a good idea to sell it to them?

Quote:
On Aug. 9, a laser-guided bomb hit a school bus in Yemen, killing dozens of children; some of the victims’ bodies were so mutilated they could not be identified. A week later, CNN reported that the 500-pound weapon had been sold to Saudi Arabia by Lockheed Martin. In 2016 a similar strike killed 155 people at a funeral hall in Yemen, and a U.S.-made bomb killed 97 people at a Yemeni market, two events that prompted the Obama administration to ban U.S. companies from selling precision-guided military technology to the Saudis. The ban did not last long: It was lifted in March 2017 by then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
https://www.americamagazine.org/poli...s-saudi-arabia
Quote:
MURPHY: "Yeah. So I think there are two additional ways to explain it. You hinted at one, first the president views every foreign relationship as transactional and as long as you’re buying things from the United States, he doesn’t see any reason why your human rights record or the other things you do to contradict American national security should stand in the way of us selling you things. We all know that there has to be a moral line that a country can cross so that we get out of business with them. You wouldn’t sell your neighbor a gun if you knew that they were going to use that gun to kill someone in their household. That’s what we’re doing with the Saudis. We’re selling them weapons we know they’re going to turn around and kill civilians inside Yemen.
https://grabien.com/story.php?id=238421

Old Today, 09:22 AM

9,423 posts, read 4,318,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You have had 24-hour surveillance on seacove? How interesting.
Certain posters standout, whether it be because of outrages comments/thought, or a consistent ideological bent. Others now days suffering from bad cases of TDS also stand out.
Seacove is one such poster.
It is fine for them to think and express themselves in any manner they choose.
However when you live in a ideological glass house, don't throw stones.

I lean more right now than in the past. Not so much because my views have changed a lot, but because the radical left that has infiltrated the Democratic party, makes even middle of the road pragmatic thought seem radical right.
Most of the newer leftist have probably never even voted for a Republican, while I have voted for Democrats in the past.
Yet I am finding it harder to do so since even the moderates in the party vote to keep a person like Pelosi as their leader.
Chuck Schumer (who I use to think was reasoned) has taken a hard left and cynical stance in the last 15 years or so. Senators were suppose to be above the fray and dignified regardless of what party they were from. Now they seem to want to throw red meat to the hardcore elements in their parties.
But I digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You won't take my word on my objections to the Saudis, but I have to take your word on unfunded mandates?
Here is but one example from over 3 years ago;

http://www.city-data.com/forum/42802265-post65.html

I assume you will now take my word for things?

I await yours.

`

Old Today, 09:27 AM

27,232 posts, read 9,230,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Yes, it always works out so well when we sell arms to countries in the Middle East.
It's not like they ever turn around and use the arms against us.

It's not like any terrorists have ever came from there.
It's not like they might not be given/sold to other terrorist groups in the region and used against us.

We have made a few bucks....why should Trump care if a few poor Americans or Allies die?
If democrats cared they would help to control the border !!! They aren't interested in security they're priority is new voters b/c the current ones aren't enough to get them control of congress and the WH !!!

Luckily Trump will have the courts packed by the time that happens and that will block them on much of their nonsense !!!
Trump is taking the Dems to the woodshed and they will be feeling the pain for decades !!!

Old Today, 09:31 AM

14,713 posts, read 9,163,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Give me ONE EXAMPLE when that has happened. You can't, because we've never allowed Saudi Arabia to re-sell our military technology. NEVER. Stop lying again.

Why would Saudi do that? The people that run that country are already RICH. Why burn bridges with the U.S. over a few bucks. THINK!
Your truly naive if you think they don’t. Period. The money that Saudi Arabia spends buying weapons from the U.S is staggering, if you think we’re going to stop because they resale our weapons again your naive. Our government didn’t care about a reporter being killed for the sake of selling weapons, why would they care about them reselling weapons?

Old Today, 09:41 AM

1,058 posts, read 183,177 times
I don't understand why selling weapons to the country that spawned the 9/11 attackers is good news. Why sell weapons to any country in the Middle East given the instability of the region.

Old Today, 09:42 AM

14,713 posts, read 9,163,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
I don't understand why selling weapons to the country that spawned the 9/11 attackers is good news. Why sell weapons to any country in the Middle East given the instability of the region.
Sadly its greed no matter the party affiliation well keep selling them no matter who the buyer is.

Old Today, 09:43 AM

15,094 posts, read 13,393,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
As usual many on the left who make anti-Trump commentary are missing the point. Fair-minded people can agree or disagree with any policy by either party.
But posters like Seacove and other hard leftists with TDS will say "Trump is evil", yet were silent when their boy was doing the same thing or worse.

Remember when the pictures of kids sleeping on floors inside cages surfaced and many leftists on CD and across this country were retweeting the images, showing how heartless and evil Trump was.
However when they discovered the images were from before Trump was elected, and occurred under Obama & Co, not an apology was made, tweets were deleted, and they looked for the next opportunity to attack Trump.

`
In other words, there isn't a dime's worth of difference between the Democrat and Republican parties.

Old Today, 09:45 AM

17,914 posts, read 19,875,432 times
Lol, the liberals hate selling arms to Saudi Arabia because they rather have other liberals countries selling arms to Saudi Arabia... Short-sighted fools...

We don't want billions we rather some other liberal country make billions... /End sarcasm

Old Today, 09:47 AM

15,094 posts, read 13,393,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Selling arms to the nation that attacked us at our own soil of seems a strange strategy.
If only the terrorists of 9/11 had come from Iran, rather than Saudi Arabia, we would have declared war on Iran and be in total control of it today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies