U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 06:05 PM

321 posts, read 169,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
So, some of you are ok with dozens of feral cats digging up your yards, flower beds, gardens,etc. Tearing up your trash. Scratching your cars. Defecating on your porch. Tearing up your window screens. And doing all kinds of damage to your property. That is why the law against feeding them. The old woman should probably be in a mental health facility.
We have huge raccoons, groundhogs, skunks, coyotes, squirrels,birds and they all defecate all over the yard and the birds drop splats all over our cars that eats into the paint. They do damage to our flower beds, our vegetable gardens, the tool shed, tear up the trash and more and I don't feed them because I don't want to encourage them to stick around here, but they do anyway. The woman comes across as a perfectly sane and caring individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 07:08 PM

16,044 posts, read 8,927,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
The cat problem is a human based problem. It ain't the kittypeoples fault. Spay and neuter or don't get a cat if you ain't gonna take care of it...now lets put criminals NOT grannies in jail...
Many now that rent toss them outside because they don't want to pay $300+ and pet rent.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:19 PM

10,014 posts, read 4,706,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I don't care even a little bit.

Cheesus Christ... the busy-bodies know no bounds.
Then I guess you like slums.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:20 PM

10,014 posts, read 4,706,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecat View Post
We have huge raccoons, groundhogs, skunks, coyotes, squirrels,birds and they all defecate all over the yard and the birds drop splats all over our cars that eats into the paint. They do damage to our flower beds, our vegetable gardens, the tool shed, tear up the trash and more and I don't feed them because I don't want to encourage them to stick around here, but they do anyway. The woman comes across as a perfectly sane and caring individual.
We have those too and they don't do near the damage as dozens of feral cats.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:35 PM

3,941 posts, read 1,865,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Guess I may end up in the slammer one day because there's no way I'm going to stop feeding stray animals. I don't care one damn what anyone thinks of it, it is humans' fault that there are stray cats out there in the first place.

Put Grandma in jail for caring about innocent cats, but turn their heads when real criminals commit crimes - I hate some people in this country. Legit, actually hate some people in this country who are too stupid to be taking up so much space.
Sounds like you need a check up.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:14 PM

9,082 posts, read 2,577,500 times
Where I live there is an issue with both stray dogs and stray cats. I want to to punch out the one neighbor who keeps feeding the stray dogs. Yes we have had words. I spray the dogs with a hose to chase them away.

Why is it such a big deal you ask? Why the ire, if I am not paying for the food?

1. Because when you feed animals they must poop. Dog poop stinks.
2. Disease. Rabies is an issue here.
3. Worms and parasites. I have a dog that I don't want to get sick.
4. Dogs in packs can and often will be aggressive .

The stray cats? Who here likes waking up and enjoying a coffee on their patio? Me too. It's hard to enjoy when every cat around has marked their territory every night. It stinks. If I wanted cat stink I would own a cat. As others have mentioned then there is the damage to gardens and landscaping.

There is another neighbor who feels obligated to feeding stray cats. Oddly enough both neighbors feeding strays are from Sweden.

Now I crate my dog at night, that is about to end and she is a dog that hates cats. I am trying not to give in to base instincts on this.

People feeding strays is fine if they have no neighbors who have to put up with it or have the conscent of all their neighbors.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Guess I may end up in the slammer one day because there's no way I'm going to stop feeding stray animals. I don't care one damn what anyone thinks of it, it is humans' fault that there are stray cats out there in the first place.

Put Grandma in jail for caring about innocent cats, but turn their heads when real criminals commit crimes - I hate some people in this country. Legit, actually hate some people in this country who are too stupid to be taking up so much space.
And do you get those stray animals fixed so that they dont reproduce and make more stray animals? . Most people don't. They just feed them drawing in more. You are not much better than the people who let their pets run wild through the neighborhood.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I don't care even a little bit.

Cheesus Christ... the busy-bodies know no bounds.
Busy body? That would imply that they have no skin in the game.when one neighbor feeds strays, everyone in the area is impacted. That makes it their business. Maybe you like cleaning up dog feces from your yard and side walk. Maybe you like listening to dogs or cats fighting all night. That comes with feeding the strays. Maybe you enjoy the stink of cat urine all over your house and property. That's up to you. What isn't up to you is to impose that on everyone else.

You feel bad for the stray dogs and cats? Open a shelter in a properly zoned area.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:28 PM

1,019 posts, read 398,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Where I live there is an issue with both stray dogs and stray cats. I want to to punch out the one neighbor who keeps feeding the stray dogs. Yes we have had words. I spray the dogs with a hose to chase them away.

Why is it such a big deal you ask? Why the ire, if I am not paying for the food?

1. Because when you feed animals they must poop. Dog poop stinks.
2. Disease. Rabies is an issue here.
3. Worms and parasites. I have a dog that I don't want to get sick.
4. Dogs in packs can and often will be aggressive .

The stray cats? Who here likes waking up and enjoying a coffee on their patio? Me too. It's hard to enjoy when every cat around has marked their territory every night. It stinks. If I wanted cat stink I would own a cat. As others have mentioned then there is the damage to gardens and landscaping.

There is another neighbor who feels obligated to feeding stray cats. Oddly enough both neighbors feeding strays are from Sweden.

Now I crate my dog at night, that is about to end and she is a dog that hates cats. I am trying not to give in to base instincts on this.

People feeding strays is fine if they have no neighbors who have to put up with it or have the conscent of all their neighbors.
I can understand but if the neighbors are fixing the strays so they don't breed there is a huge advantage to having the cats around outside to think about. (stray dogs are a different issue as you pointed out)

I had a cat that I couldn't keep inside all of the time as he would run out. Just spending his days outdoors he kept away all of the mice and moles. Stray cats, possums and racoons too. When he died of old age I had mice in my house for the first time in 20 years. I will take urine outside over having it in my cabinets from mice. All of my neighbors are noticing the mole hills we are now sinking in when we walk through our yards. They are commenting they miss the cat and none of us knew all the good work he did until he was gone.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:09 PM

8,599 posts, read 7,766,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
I can understand but if the neighbors are fixing the strays so they don't breed there is a huge advantage to having the cats around outside to think about. (stray dogs are a different issue as you pointed out)

I had a cat that I couldn't keep inside all of the time as he would run out. Just spending his days outdoors he kept away all of the mice and moles. Stray cats, possums and racoons too. When he died of old age I had mice in my house for the first time in 20 years. I will take urine outside over having it in my cabinets from mice. All of my neighbors are noticing the mole hills we are now sinking in when we walk through our yards. They are commenting they miss the cat and none of us knew all the good work he did until he was gone.
There are several feral and "outside cats". I can see their collars while they walk along the top of my fence - and from my security cameras when they *alert* motion.

We still have opossums, raccoons, groundhogs, rabbits, squirrels, fox in the backyard.

Mice are caught in the traps we put in our garage when the weather gets a little cooler in the fall (we back up to a huge gov't protected "sanctuary", all sorts of animals in the field & woods). Never a mouse in my house, let alone my kitchen cabinets. That's a different issue. You should probably get your house checked out for holes in the foundation, etc.

Your cat must have been your 'hood's terminator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or