U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 01:28 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 11 days ago)

12,323 posts, read 6,463,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Trap the cats and make her pay the costs including damages. No jail.
Seems sensible. I wonder how long it will be until new strays come to the area and the problem starts all over again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 01:53 AM

4,542 posts, read 3,362,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My daughter has been feeding "ferals" for about 10 years now. Multiple litters from same mother. Over the years the numbers have dwindled; female kittens first to disappear. She has trapped, neutered/spayed, and vaccinated them all. Mom cat was the last she got, but she disappeared about 2 years ago. NO new cats coming to be fed. I guess when there only neutered males around, there won't be more litters?

Don't go to her house very often, but one (named Stripe) of the 10 year first litter males will jump into my lap if I sit down outside. Call that Feral? When they know they are getting fed twice a day, I suppose they get lazy and don't look to kill birds.
I'd be annoyed if I were her neighbor, but if they're spayed/neutered it's not as big of a problem as it is if they're intact. Every calorie one feeds to stray/feral cats helps make more stray/feral cats, which is inadvertently inhumane, and also just compounds the very problem the feeder is supposedly trying to solve - hungry, uncared for cats. So it's good she's gotten them fixed.

That said, I don't understand why people think it's fine to let cats, fixed or not, roam when they wouldn't let other non-native housepet species roam. If they're so tame, bring them indoors or to a rescue. If they're not tame, then they shouldn't be loose to be a hazard or a nuisance. Either way they don't belong loose.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:24 AM

9,174 posts, read 5,661,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Hey, people, stop crying horseball tears over this elderly woman.

The thread title is incorrect. That 10-day jail sentence for feeding strays...was handed down back in May, when that sentence was suspended, provided she stop feeding the cats. She DIDN'T.

This 10-day sentence, handed down by an exhausted court system, was for contempt of court, after neighbors complained--again. Then she called CNN.

Her history of warnings goes back to 2015. Elderly people can be PITAs too.

And now you know the rest of the story.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...rnd/index.html
This is irrelevant to the matter of criminalizing an act of compassion.

And those who take issue with this overreach of “authority” don't care how many times she was “told” or “threatened” to stop.

With so many instances of people harshly treating and abusing animals, we should all, at a minimum, at least appreciate, rather than punish acts of kindness toward them by more thoughtful and caring human beings.

As someone else pointed out, much of the stray animal population are a result of uncaring and irresponsible humans who abandon them like old cothes . I suppose it should be no surprise that others think that the solution is to let them starve

Old 07-31-2019, 09:31 AM

19,704 posts, read 12,414,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I have no problem with her being jailed.

Cats are brutal on birds and other animals in the wild and roam and pee all over stuff on top of that.

Just because you like them doesn't mean that someone should support a feral cat population that then impacts everyone else as well.

Have to ask yourself how you'd feel if someone in the neighborhood had wild dogs roaming or fed racoons, coyotes etc. Heck, in some parts of the country they have pythons now....why not let them hang out too.

I'm a "cat lady" ( have that sticker on my truck). I would get strays at my farm and I would get them spayed and neutered and put them up in my house with outdoor access via a "critter door". They were very useful, as they kept the rodent population down.

Most of the cats ended up living at our actual house as pets, so they don't go outside anymore.

We feed the birds as well, but have the feeders set up so neighborhood cats don't get to the birds and kill them. The cats used to bring small rabbits into the farmhouse as "pets". I would have to catch them and get them out of the house.

I tend to take in about any stray animal I run across. I know that cats are pretty hard on the songbird population, so we try to make them indoor critters. They seem to like being house cats better anyway.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:34 AM

3,995 posts, read 1,684,895 times
Funny how all these 'land of the free' types think it's their right and duty to micro-manage their neighbors.

Cat urine you say? The horror...

Old 07-31-2019, 11:32 AM

11,737 posts, read 8,551,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Busy body? That would imply that they have no skin in the game.when one neighbor feeds strays, everyone in the area is impacted. That makes it their business. Maybe you like cleaning up dog feces from your yard and side walk. Maybe you like listening to dogs or cats fighting all night. That comes with feeding the strays. Maybe you enjoy the stink of cat urine all over your house and property. That's up to you. What isn't up to you is to impose that on everyone else.

You feel bad for the stray dogs and cats? Open a shelter in a properly zoned area.
Read up on feral. The cats are territorial and will be here whether they are fed or not. Those fighting and pooping cats may be your neighbors cat.

We have have our yard and patio furniture ruined by the neighbors cats. We never had feral cats in our yard until Mother's day weekend. Then one showed up. I ignored him for a week or so.

My cat friendly friends informed me that if I got rid of the feral, another would take his place. i have found that to be true, talking to other neighbors. They are here long enough to eat and leave. At least the pets are not sleeping on my patio furniture any longer.

The ones in my yard will be trapped, spayed and neutered so as to not make any more unwanted cats.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:37 AM

3,711 posts, read 734,523 times
Elderly American citizen who feeds stray cats: Jail!
Illegal alien who drives drunk: Judge sneaks him out the back door to freedom

What is wrong with this picture?

Old 07-31-2019, 11:47 AM

21,308 posts, read 10,270,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Funny how all these 'land of the free' types think it's their right and duty to micro-manage their neighbors.

Cat urine you say? The horror...
Have you ever heard the saying 'your rights end where mine begin'?

That's what we're talking about here.

I worked with someone who had a neighbor who fed feral cats. Two became thirty over the course of a few years. They spread fleas to pets, got into scraps with pets requiring trips to the vet, dug up peoples gardens, clawed and ruined the wood on decks.

Compassion for animals at the expense of having compassion for your neighbors is inexcusable.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:59 AM

7,453 posts, read 2,696,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
This is irrelevant to the matter of criminalizing an act of compassion.

And those who take issue with this overreach of “authority” don't care how many times she was “told” or “threatened” to stop.

With so many instances of people harshly treating and abusing animals, we should all, at a minimum, at least appreciate, rather than punish acts of kindness toward them by more thoughtful and caring human beings.

As someone else pointed out, much of the stray animal population are a result of uncaring and irresponsible humans who abandon them like old cothes . I suppose it should be no surprise that others think that the solution is to let them starve
They are not criminalizing feeding stray cats. Conptempt of court is criminal.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:27 PM

11,737 posts, read 8,551,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Have you ever heard the saying 'your rights end where mine begin'?

That's what we're talking about here.

I worked with someone who had a neighbor who fed feral cats. Two became thirty over the course of a few years. They spread fleas to pets, got into scraps with pets requiring trips to the vet, dug up peoples gardens, clawed and ruined the wood on decks.

Compassion for animals at the expense of having compassion for your neighbors is inexcusable.
I'm just saying, the only ID people have to go on is a SNR cat has a little part of their ear removed so they will be a known feral cat.

All the damage you described can be done by neighbor's pets. And in my experience has been done by pets allowed to roam free.

My state has a leash law that applies to cats. Many pet owners ignore it because it is their cats G-d given right to go outside.

My cat only leaves this house to go to the vet. The 2 feral will be neutered when I get a trap. If more show up, they will be trapped and turned over to the county. As it is now, the feral run off the pets, and that's a good thing I'd go to jail for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or