U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:05 PM

3,581 posts, read 974,548 times

Advertisements

It looks like this statistic might be a bit misleading as it doesn't show that 80% of Baltimore students are getting free lunches because of their income level.
Baltimore has a universal free lunch program.

"When Baltimore’s public school district joined a universal free lunch program three years ago, the city celebrated. Now every student in the district, regardless of income, could get healthy, wholesome food each day, courtesy of federal taxpayers."

If the school offers free lunches for every student, it's perfectly natural to see such a high usage rate. I mean....free lunch!

Yes, this federal program is used for lower income areas and from this article, sounds like it may have caused some unintended issues to arise. Since they don't make people file anything to join the program, though, we don't know what the actual number is here.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/educati...202-story.html

Old Today, 01:06 PM

17,253 posts, read 13,815,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Absolutely. Only 3% of people who do the following end up in poverty:

1) Finish high school.
2) Don't have babies before you're married.

Now, really.....that's a pretty low bar.
Marriage is just a ritual, and isn't necessary for stable families.

Commitment is what matters.

Old Today, 01:12 PM

10,323 posts, read 6,324,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
That $50 to $100 billion cost per year for illegals is a Fox News and conservative talking point. The cost is actually anywhere between $3 to $13 billion a year and that doesn't take into account the sales tax collected from said illegals.
Sure about that ?
https://www.apnews.com/1e597a4896884da08bef0a8f8134c6be

Old Today, 01:14 PM

671 posts, read 224,358 times
Are you looking at the file? About 43% of public school students are on free or reduced lunch.

It's easy to comment about poverty from the comfort of your high-speed internet. The level of ignorance and judgment here is apalling.

SPENT

Old Today, 01:24 PM

170 posts, read 75,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Uh.. Yes.

Yes they did. They did have a sperm donor. Probably the majority can't tell you which one that would be.

Maybe we should talk about the average IQ of these women or would that be considered racist also ?
Incredibly presumptuous of you unless you have some statistics to back that up. But I'm also glad you brought up education, which is what many low income and poor are in need of to get out of their circumstances. As one of those women who spent a large part of their childhood and early adulthood in deep poverty, I will tell you that the majority of these women would prefer to be a productive part of society not just a reproductive one. Have you ever talked to these women or are you just guessing?

Not all poor women are promiscuous. That's ridiculous. It's almost as ridiculous as calling the fathers sperm donors. It's past time angry white men stop demonizing women and take some responsibility. FYI women on food stamps and other programs aren't always black or brown. Lots of statistics on that too if you care to educate yourself.

Old Today, 02:40 PM

32,153 posts, read 36,785,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miso Blu View Post
Incredibly presumptuous of you unless you have some statistics to back that up. But I'm also glad you brought up education, which is what many low income and poor are in need of to get out of their circumstances. As one of those women who spent a large part of their childhood and early adulthood in deep poverty, I will tell you that the majority of these women would prefer to be a productive part of society not just a reproductive one. Have you ever talked to these women or are you just guessing?

Not all poor women are promiscuous. That's ridiculous. It's almost as ridiculous as calling the fathers sperm donors. It's past time angry white men stop demonizing women and take some responsibility. FYI women on food stamps and other programs aren't always black or brown. Lots of statistics on that too if you care to educate yourself.
Yeah, my mother had 2 kids by the time she was 18. My father married her, stuck around and lifted us up all out of poverty. They both worked, put 5 of us through college. We did without a whole lot. We never had food stamps or zero Govt support.

Don't give me your hard luck stories, we all have them. Hopefully you made babies with a man you knew the name of and he stuck around to take care of them.

And in my post I never mention skin color. I know plenty of whites who've been on the Govt dole. Most of them have also dropped out of school, used drugs and made illegitimate kids.. Most of the males have spent time in prison.

Old Today, 02:51 PM

33,981 posts, read 42,304,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
That $50 to $100 billion cost per year for illegals is a Fox News and conservative talking point. The cost is actually anywhere between $3 to $13 billion a year and that doesn't take into account the sales tax collected from said illegals.
Maryland is getting screwed then since it spends around $2B/year on illegals. I think your numbers are off. Sales tax?

https://www.fairus.org/issue/publica...rylanders-2012

Old Today, 02:57 PM

48,398 posts, read 45,654,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
And stop handing out free stuff.

Hunger is a great motivator to work.
For many, hunger is a great motivator to steal and kill. If we cut off free lunch, some people would go out of steal, sell drugs, and do other illegal things to get food. We have a bigger problem than "laziness".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or