U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM

9,647 posts, read 2,373,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Trust me I won’t. I get some perverse pleasure knowing I cause millions of tons of CO2 to be belched out by a simple movement of a lever.
Thank your union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Delicate, you say?

No, not at all. Conditions on earth have, at times, been ferocious, and wiped out most of life. But it all came back many times.

Hardly "delicate".
Do you realize the implications of what you have just announced?

Life in some form will succeed us, of course, but the principle concern of members on this discussion forum is the future wellbeing of humankind, particularly our immediate descendants ... not of cockroaches.

Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM

5,497 posts, read 3,232,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
(Scratches head wondering why T-310 is masquerading as the CD weatherman and climate change expert)

You supposedly drive trains for a living. Stick to that. I know where to find Al Roker when i need him..
Even Al cuts to the local professional weathermen ... we will see climate change with global cooling just like it has been doing forever in cycles.

Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,823,655 times
Quote:
International Falls broke 121 year record by posting a low of 37F.

But that’s just weather according to warmers.
102 degrees here in SLC yesterday and records are being set all across Europe. 1 data point does not confirm or deny a scientific fact.

The question instead is causation and what to do about it.

Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM

5,497 posts, read 3,232,207 times
T-310 and I know about climate since we both experienced it 24/7 365 days a year hot,cold and in between the rain and snow out on the track day and night kinda makes us experts ... lol ...proud professional railroaders!

Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM

16,100 posts, read 6,339,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
tell that to the warmers who make the claim every hot day is proof of "climate change"
On a now-deleted series of posts on France/Western Europe Heatwave - 2019 I pointed out, the day after the European heat wave broke, July 26, 2019, that there was a high of 70° and a low of 67°F. The response was "you deniers will never get it."

Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM

16,100 posts, read 6,339,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
And you pointed that out based on one day in International Falls...A.K.A., Neptune.

What’s next? A weather report from Nizhneyansk, Siberia?
That's exactly what the alarmists do. They cite alleged warming patterns in just those kinds of places when skeptics or deniers point out that densely populated, advanced areas such as New York City or Chicago have amazingly stable conditions over a long period of time.

Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
If you think you can change the ever-evolving climate, you are seriously-deceiving yourself. It will do as it pleases. We can't even do something simple like snuff out a hurricane.
Wrong.

There is no 'pleases'. The climate doesn't do as it would wish, it reacts.

Climate changes in reaction to things. We know that there are cyclical patterns in climate, for instance, but they are always a reaction to other changes, such as increased volcanic activity (which spews more particulate matter into the atmosphere , blocking sunlight). Volcanic activity can be affected by the movements of tectonic plates, and so forth. We can't do anything about such things, which is where you and I would agree.

Since the advent of trees and other plants, there have always been fires, and these have always been part of the 'record'. What we know of climate cycles of the past already includes the effects of that.

But the increased greenhouse gas emissions we are recording is directly related to human activity burning fuels that have been sequestered for millions of years. The rising level of greenhouse gases is a direct cause of rising atmospheric temperature, which has it's own knock-on effects. This increase in greenhouse gases is far above and beyond what we would be seeing naturally, and it is triggering a multitude of secondary effects, we have launched a chain reaction of changes to our ecology and to economies around the world.

The business community understands this and is planning for new shipping lanes opening in the arctic circle. Wildfires within the arctic circle are becoming common.

Carbon Dioxide | NASA.gov
LATEST MEASUREMENT: June 2019
LATEST ANNUAL AVERAGE ANOMALY: 412 ppm

We are now seeing increased release of methane that has been (until recently) trapped in arctic tundra. The methane is far more dangerous to us as a greenhouse gas, much more effective at trapping heat, and we appear to be on the cusp of a runaway effect which could be (so far as we are concerned in a generation or two) essentially unstoppable and irreversible.

Scientific evidence for warming of the climate system is unequivocal | NASA.gov
(Don't bother asking Trump to take these web pages down, if he could have he would have.)

We might not be able to correct this problem any longer, it could be too late. Perhaps all we can do is to mitigate the effects of climate change and plan for the changes to infrastructure which will surely be needed. But we need to start the conversation now. We need to recognize the problems developing now so we can plan for the future.

~
Attached Thumbnails
Record Low in Minnesota-nasa-greenhouse-gas-levels.jpg  

Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM

10,120 posts, read 8,143,880 times
Quote:
Trust me I won’t. I get some perverse pleasure knowing I cause millions of tons of CO2 to be belched out by a simple movement of a lever.
Actually rail is one of the most efficient ways of moving freight.

Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Actually rail is one of the most efficient ways of moving freight.
True.

An efficient rail network (as a people mover as well as freight) can be part of a successful plan to help the ecology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or