U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2019, 06:50 AM
 
Location: NC
7,362 posts, read 5,154,120 times
Reputation: 8081

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
And you pointed that out based on one day in International Falls...A.K.A., Neptune.

Whatís next? A weather report from Nizhneyansk, Siberia?
Exactly. N=1 does not equate to a statistically valid observation.

I wonder if 310 believes racism is real, he should because a black man got shot somewhere
I wonder if he thinks the economy is bad under trump? He should, the dow was down 300 yesterday
I wonder if he thinks America under Trump is hated around the world? He should, because a British Politician said so.


I'm not saying racism is not real, that the economy does not have problems, or that the US reputation is not being damaged under Trump (I'm not saying anything about those). I am saying you can't draw conclusions about trends based on a single data point. It's silly.

I gave the examples above because he defended his observation due to "double standards", to illustrate how silly it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2019, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
18,969 posts, read 10,453,337 times
Reputation: 7420
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Why wouldn't a growing city/airport experience warming?

More heat sinks (concrete, buildings, etc.) means warmer temperatures in the surrounding areas.

Oddly enough, that's where most weather stations are located (universities, airports, and the like).
I don't know your source for this, but most that I am personally familiar with are located away from cities at research facilities and airports and such.

Could you source it, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 07:28 AM
 
Location: New York Area
16,880 posts, read 6,663,223 times
Reputation: 12982
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Oh, so there it is .........unconditional proof that climate change does not exist ! One cold day proves this is just a farce with no basis in truth !

But, I have a question. What happens if we get one hotter than normal day ? Does that offset this theory ? Which one do I believe ?
Fair question, but does a heat wave in Western Europe (offset by cold in Russia) and in Alaska prove anything either?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I am saying you can't draw conclusions about trends based on a single data point. It's silly.
But a single data point can operate as a reality check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 07:42 AM
 
3,624 posts, read 1,067,941 times
Reputation: 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I don't know your source for this, but most that I am personally familiar with are located away from cities at research facilities and airports and such.

Could you source it, please?
"First order stations are those maintained professional by the NWS or the Federal Aviation Administration. In Alaska, there are 21 first order sites,
......all of which are located at airports..... except for the station in Valdez"



Observing Stations - NOAA / NWS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 07:53 AM
 
3,624 posts, read 1,067,941 times
Reputation: 2223
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Didn't read the whole article did you?
of course I did....it's just more of the same old clap trap

90 degrees in Alaska is the new normal, temperatures are expected to increase....it's Armageddon we're all going to die global warming...even though it's centered on a high pressure dome...that's just weather

105 years ago...when the temperature was 10 degrees hotter....a month sooner......was just weather

"Alaska's highest temp was 100F....June 27, 1915...a month sooner....and over 100 years ago"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 08:27 AM
 
21,799 posts, read 11,919,907 times
Reputation: 12443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You can't just make-up the title "warmers" to prove your point. It is climate change, and encompasses a wide range of weather extremes that are out of the ordinary. No one weather occurrence proves or disproves it.
It's a ridiculous concept and it's a political one. The Earth is cooling, not warming. That is a fact. What is happening is temporary. It's cooling, always cooling.

2 million years ago it was warmer even with the ice ages that happened in the northern hemisphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
32,871 posts, read 20,809,746 times
Reputation: 47525
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It's a ridiculous concept and it's a political one. The Earth is cooling, not warming. That is a fact. What is happening is temporary. It's cooling, always cooling.

2 million years ago it was warmer even with the ice ages that happened in the northern hemisphere.
Actually we are coming out of a little ice age. But on an the time frame of a qazillion years? Yeah, the earth is cooling, the sun is cooling....

But that is not the issue, and not a point in the the discussion.

Little more concerned with the near terms changes.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Midwest
32,409 posts, read 20,110,862 times
Reputation: 8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
International Falls broke 121 year record by posting a low of 37F.

But thatís just weather according to warmers.
Your use of inductive reasoning here does not lead to a logical scientific conclusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 11:47 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
9,824 posts, read 8,226,514 times
Reputation: 4167
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 11:51 AM
 
6,022 posts, read 3,249,749 times
Reputation: 3509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Your use of inductive reasoning here does not lead to a logical scientific conclusion.

“If gravity is real then how do birds fly!?”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:57 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top