U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM

29,728 posts, read 15,561,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
"Free" lets those making promises in order to buy votes-pretend that the economy isn't real. That the government doesn't give anyone anything for "free". Nothing the government gives to one person that did not earn it, must first be taken from someone that did earn it.
But when a firefighter makes $65k and his wife makes $40k, they are rich and subjected to the wrath of Harris and her liberal goon squad of money grabbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM

1,496 posts, read 309,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Except that's not the statement I said was naive. Now you look even more childish.
You can't even follow an argument. I was stating which part of my argument was naive. But then said "but my argument is not childish" referring to free stuff. People up to 18 get lots of free stuff (education, lunch, health care, etc.) Old people also get many freebies and reduced prices. Many institutions get tax exemptions and free stuff. It is a reality that you somehow miss.

If my idea that society should copy a little of the good things of family life sounds childish to you, then you have very low expectation of what people in general can do. A very pessimistic view.

I should add that free is only from the point of view of the receiving party, of course it implies that someone else is providing. After all people can't provide at certain stages of life, that is at young and old age, plus the disabled. This should be obvious enough, but I say it because how easy people misrepresent ideas; either from lacking reading skills or by their blinding biases.

One more thing. Not too long ago people's trade and education depended mainly on what the family could teach their children. Now not only basic education is provided by society but in many countries this is the case even for higher education. People can fight to keep the status quo, but things do change eventually.

Too many old people with old views here. As the division of labor expand, our interdependence increases.

Last edited by thelogo; Yesterday at 10:42 PM..

Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM

8,909 posts, read 4,471,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Why is the idea of "free" pursued by liberals?

Free education
Free child care
Free health care
Free public transportation
Free access to the country from outsiders
Free family leave where no salary is lost

Why free?

Do they want to work for free? Heck no. They are constantly striving for higher minimum wages - yet they want everything for free. You put these two ideas together of wanting free stuff along with paying employees high wages and it absolutely cannot coexist.

I am not saying everything should be expensive, but I want people to profit from their work and support themselves with the profit they have earned. That should be the ultimate goal for every adult.

What is it that says something for nothing is the way society should work? Why is it attractive?
Have you ever noticed that the government never misses a paycheck and the only thing they produce is paperwork?

Old Today, 01:57 AM

51,007 posts, read 26,884,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm saying the notion of free healthcare, free childcare, free college, writing off student loans, etc., is being pushed by politicians on the left. That doesn't mean people on the right aren't cashing in - they are. But I do think people in the middle class in both parties who have been struggling aren't for these things. They're the ones who end up getting screwed.

We can't afford all these freebies. If you can't afford to go to college, work and take out student loans and then pay those off. If you can't afford children or childcare, don't have them.

A hundred years ago when I was a kid people didn't have credit cards so they couldn't buy anything - and I mean anything - until they had the cash to pay for it. We live in a world where people think they just need to tap a little machine with a piece of plastic that has a microchip, and worry about how to pay for it later. That's become the mindset for a whole lot of people with regard to the lifestyle they want to maintain - and those paying the price are the rest of us working stiffs in the shrinking middle class.
We can easily afford it.

If we can afford to drop a billion and a half a week in a losing war in Afghanistan, we can afford the “freebies.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
But you're not wanting to give away yiur stuff, you're wanting to give away other people's stuff.
Don’t worry. I’m only talking about people with something worth taking that I can purloin in order to give it away.

That means you’re safe.

Old Today, 03:33 AM

34,509 posts, read 41,651,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Why is the idea of "free" pursued by liberals?

Free education
Free child care
Free health care
Free public transportation
Free access to the country from outsiders
Free family leave where no salary is lost

Why free?
[ Those items you list would not be free,they would be paid for by increased taxes, when considering the cost of those items you list a slight increase in taxes makes it not a bad deal.

Old Today, 04:26 AM

12,984 posts, read 4,694,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
But when a firefighter makes $65k and his wife makes $40k, they are rich and subjected to the wrath of Harris and her liberal goon squad of money grabbers.
Harris takes a lot of "donations" from the medical industrial complex. If you really think she actually means what she's saying, you are trying to convince us that the business lobby is throwing money out of the window and that they are stupid.

Old Today, 06:31 AM

21,074 posts, read 10,170,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
We can easily afford it.

If we can afford to drop a billion and a half a week in a losing war in Afghanistan, we can afford the “freebies.”

Don’t worry. I’m only talking about people with something worth taking that I can purloin in order to give it away.

That means you’re safe.
I'm with you 100%. Our government should stop giving other countries money, starting these bogus wars for oil, etc. and start pouring our money back into us and our country.

But when in your lifetime has our government ever cut down on spending in order to make life easier for Americans?

The *we* who will be paying for these things is us. You and I. You're a more generous person than I, apparently. I'm not willing to add to the taxes I already pay. And all these freebies would cripple the remainder of the middle class which has already been shrinking and struggling.

You said so yourself in another thread - we're all struggling. Okay, then be realistic about who would be paying for this. It ain't Uncle Sam.

Old Today, 06:37 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,254,292 times
"free" stuff = more votes = power

Just the notion that people can't take care of themselves and need Uncle Bernie to give it to them is sad and pathetic. Bernie and the other regressives have no respect for their contingencies and just see them as pawns to control

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or