U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2019, 08:36 AM

23,688 posts, read 12,500,531 times

Advertisements

Reading reviews of the debate.

One of the biggest criticisms of the CNN hosts - -they kept interrupting the candidates...keeping to the time limit

Biggest criticism of the first rounds of debate before.....the hosts didn't interrupt the candidates or keep the candidates to the time limit.

Proof positive -- folks just want to complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 08:43 AM

710 posts, read 195,924 times
I am so late to this party!

So much to read, I have only skimmed. But my quick 2 cents is this: it goes without saying that everyone debating hates Tr***. I don't want only hate talk. I don't even want some hate talk. I want what is positive moving forward. The ones who did not dwell on hate are the ones jumping ahead for me.

I want a woman sssoooo badly. I think the US needs a woman- are we not the only country in the first world who has never had a woman?

I am a very educated and professional white woman from an oil and gas family. I am married to a black man from a very educated family, all going to HBCU schools, and living on the "black" side of town. I asked him who would be more repressed in today's world him or me. Even he said that I would be the more discriminated against.

Sad state of affairs in which we find ourselves.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:44 AM

46,669 posts, read 34,386,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The only thing I agree with is the student loans need some relief. Having people come out of college with the equivalent of thirty-year mortgages is going to disrupt housing and nearly everything else. This is a real problem. But the white privilege talk and border issues are very off putting. There are plenty of white people suffering today. Telling them theyíre privileged isnít going to win them back. I thought they were going to drop that talk, but instead they double down on it. Itís very discouraging.
Some families scrimped and saved so that their kids could attend school without debt. Some kids qualified for academic scholarships. Some took the community college route for 2 years before transferring to and commuting to an in-state university to make the most out of their financial resources.

Some chose in demand majors that allowed them to have a choice of careers, upon graduation. Some are more willing than others to relocate to places with better opportunities than their local community.

And some squandered college refunds on stuff that had nothing to do with education.

In 2015, Trump campaigned on government programs to help low income students and debt. As time went on, Trump became more vague and talked about getting government out of the student loan business. It did not square with how lenders are not likely to lend without a government guarantee.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:44 AM

6,552 posts, read 3,410,424 times
Cliff Notes of last night’s debate:

RACISM!!! RACISM!!
RACISTS!! RACISTS EVERYWHERE!!
WHITE NATIONALIST IN THE WHITE HOUSE!!!!!!!

Old 08-01-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I too liked Bullock best in the first debate and probably Gabbard in the second.

I also acknowledge a moderate canít beat Trump.

Trump won by tapping into fear and anger. Itís going to take a revolution of anger to beat Trump.
That much of that agenda is DOA and/ or subject to moderation in Congress does not matter as much as beating Trump.

I am speaking from a strategic standpoint, not my own position which trends moderate.
I disagree. Sure that campaign focus works on firing up the base...but the 78,000K votes that swung three states didn't vote for Trump out of fear.

Most likely -- he won those three swing states by close margins because the last month of the campaign he focused don those states. Clinton being a divisive individual was part of the formula. Folks thinking they would 'give him a try'. all of those things combined most likely helped Trump win the last election.

Since Trump won his election the 'approval' ratings have dropped and never gone back up.

Not sure a revolution of any kind will lose or win the election for Trump -- especially if the results come down to some 78K votes in three swing states like it did the last time.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Cliff Notes of last nightís debate:

RACISM!!! RACISM!!
RACISTS!! RACISTS EVERYWHERE!!
WHITE NATIONALIST IN THE WHITE HOUSE!!!!!!!
Well if the hood fits......

Old 08-01-2019, 08:49 AM

46,669 posts, read 34,386,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
I am so late to this party!

So much to read, I have only skimmed. But my quick 2 cents is this: it goes without saying that everyone debating hates Tr***. I don't want only hate talk. I don't even want some hate talk. I want what is positive moving forward. The ones who did not dwell on hate are the ones jumping ahead for me.

I want a woman sssoooo badly. I think the US needs a woman- are we not the only country in the first world who has never had a woman?

I am a very educated and professional white woman from an oil and gas family. I am married to a black man from a very educated family, all going to HBCU schools, and living on the "black" side of town. I asked him who would be more repressed in today's world him or me. Even he said that I would be the more discriminated against.

Sad state of affairs in which we find ourselves.
Interesting. Why do you want a woman Ē sssooo badlyĒ?

Gender is meaningless to me. So is ethnicity, race and religion.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:53 AM

12,330 posts, read 3,341,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Don't forget right to kill your baby right up to the day of delivery.
Fetus, not baby.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Interesting. Why do you want a woman ” sssooo badly”?

Gender is meaningless to me. So is ethnicity, race and religion.
It should be meaningless, but the fact that in a country that is 50% female and has had 0% females in the POTUS seat or even in the Veep seat, frankly scares the shyte out of me.

It is also skewed similary against minorities, but we have had a semi* minority at least, and there is a higher percentage of women mathematically.

This has to have been INTENTIONAL

Does that not frighten you?

*semi: Obama is mixed, just as much white as black. As a white mom of mixed kids, this is an important personal distinction for me

Old 08-01-2019, 08:56 AM

I would never vote for a woman just because she is a woman but given similar qualifications, pros and cons that balance themselves out -- as a woman -- I would love to see a woman as President.

We keep saying women have equal opportunities - -it would be nice to see that in practice.

Does it mean I will vote gender first -- nope....not at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or