Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2019, 12:15 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,474,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
consider the source of the claim. full of wild, unsubstantiated claims based on "things I've heard"...

2.3 seconds on google yielded this:

I'm on 3. they're all generic. just picked them up today at Walgreen's. All are generic. $9.65 total. Yes, I'm on private health insurance.
I am on none.

Husband is on nearly 10 but then again, he’s as old as dirt and continues to work and is on his employer’s BCBS Plan. Like you, it’s all generic.

Imagine Birth Control might be a factor in the percentage of people on prescription meds.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:18 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,502,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No two countries do Universal Healthcare the same.

Japan decided to do something about the trend of obesity - the gateway to many serious and costly to treat diseases. Everyone is required to have their waist measured once a year. Those with measures beyond the generous healthy range receive counseling. Employers are required to measure all employees. Employers are required to reduce the percentage of outliers or are required to make higher contributions to the National Sickness Fund to offset the risk. Japan is making progress.

Some countries place a lower value on obese people in need of non - urgent surgeries.

Seems we here in the US want our cake and then engage in blame throwing about the cost of healthcare.
Very interesting. While I think that's a good idea, can you imagine the uproar we'd hear, if the U.S. tried to pass such a law?

I had a diabetic co-worker who gave herself insulin shots. She didn't adhere to a healthy eating plan. She used the insulin to let herself eat bad things. She'd eat birthday with the rest of us, then give herself her insulin shot in the abdomen, through her clothing. That's the sort of mindset many in our country have. Diabetes Type 2 is caused by lifestyle. It would be rare, if people here lived a healthy lifestyle.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:21 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,502,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
sorry if I wasn't clear. Warren's claim of "insurance companies sucking 2.X billion dollars out of the system" amounts to just $71/population. We could do the math, and figure it out per household (mine would be $280), and assign the poor people to folks like me (maybe an extra $100?).

But her class warfare/bazillionaire/evil corporations spiel sounds worse when you just toss out $2.X billion.
The ins. cos. add trillions to our health care system. Not billions. Anthem alone raked in over $25 Billion in revenue in 2018. United Health Care, too.

This is an added cost that other First World countries don't have. Who pays for it? We, the people, do.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:23 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,090,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I'm an investor of sorts. Investing in health ins. cos. is big bizness....they are very profitable. The profit margin for the sector is over 50%. In other words, most revenue goes toward profits, after expenses. And expenses include huge salaries for the top dogs, so they get generous salaries and benefits, plus the profit in addition. Who pays for that? We do. All those billions (trillions, really)get rolled into the cost of health care in the country.
please, stop. I don't know where you hear stuff, or study things, or decide to invest. but it doesn't appear to be based on fact at all.

https://www.unitedhealthgroup.com/co...18-Release.pdf

this is the annual summary for United Healthcare.

Their earnings from operations - 7.7%. Their NET margin - right at 5%.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:41 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,903,055 times
Quote:
Very interesting. While I think that's a good idea, can you imagine the uproar we'd hear, if the U.S. tried to pass such a law?
Thats just ridiculous scaremongering though. No country says that an obese person has less of a right to health care than anyone else.

What she is referring to is probably that it can be dangerous to perform surgery on very obese people and other options are considered in those cases.

It has nothing to do with passing a law that treats overweight people as less worthy of help.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:45 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,705,554 times
Quote:
The ins. cos. add trillions to our health care system. Not billions. Anthem alone raked in over $25 Billion in revenue in 2018. United Health Care, too.

This is an added cost that other First World countries don't have. Who pays for it? We, the people, do.
You do understand that "revenue" is not the same as "profit"....right?

My neighbor recently (true story) paid me $190.00 to install a large bathroom vanity mirror for him. The mirror, mounting brackets and wall toggles cost me $144.89. My "Revenue" was $190.00. My "Profit" was my revenue less my cost, leaving me with a profit of $45.11 for my labor. I did not have a profit of $190.00...even though that is what he paid me in total.

Perhaps insurance companies are the problem, and most likely are at least part of the problem, but the amount of revenue they rake in is literally irrelevant...it's the ratio of what they rake in to what they pay out that is relevant and what we should be looking at before throwing rocks at them.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:50 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,320,948 times
Quote:

None of that is even remotely true. I mean not even close to reality and if that is what you truly believe, then I can see how you would think they are the devil. Learn how the system works and what a chargemaster is, what CMS is, etc. and come back.

Revenue is not profit. Please do some serious unbiased research on the subject before forming an opinion.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:53 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,474,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Thanks, Ladybug - I saw that part.

These pols are counting on getting votes from these freebies, not realizing they'll lose votes from the moderate Dems.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:01 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,705,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Totally agree. She has the most succinct and concrete answers to every question. I have decided the reason she is not getting traction is because she does not think or speak on the 8th grade level, as the average American supposedly needs.

Sad.
I like Klobuchar too. She's my US Senator, and I voted for her. If she ran against Trump, I'd definitely vote for her...no question about it.

You put one of those other (except for one or two others...maybe) looney tunes against Trump, guess what? I'm voting for Trump again!

If the dems don't get this, they truly are even bigger idiots than I thought they were at the last election.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:05 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,320,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I like Klobuchar too. She's my US Senator, and I voted for her. If she ran against Trump, I'd definitely vote for her...no question about it.

You put most (not all) of those other of those looney tunes against Trump, and guess what? I'm voting for Trump again!
I thought Delaney was actually really good but had some weird ass facial expressions/smiles throughout. He'd probably be a better strategist and guy behind the scenes.

The guy from Montana was way too "brah, yeah me and my brahs were chillin', brah" for me.

The Ryan guy also was pretty good. I'd say of those on the stage Ryan and Delaney were front runners. They were normal and not about screaming louder to be heard.

Buttigieg is sharp but doesn't seem to have a handle on policies and I didn't like some of his stances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies