U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-31-2019, 08:10 AM
 
4,939 posts, read 1,380,114 times
Reputation: 2897

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I never even hinted at the words you are trying to put onto my keyboard. Where did I say you were poor or even remotely suggest it?

I said you are hostile towards a class of other people based on ignorance, given your stated belief. And I stand by the statement that your hostility is based on ignorance, and from that hostility, I can make a very educated guess on the nature and basis of your political beliefs.

Economic status does not dictate whether one is ignorant or not, for more on that see "total moron billionaire who happens to be President." That's why I made no such accusation, regardless of what your attempt at a straw man would argue otherwise.
You like to be a logical guy right? Earlier you said I believe:

"Screw them and their good luck, eh? None of them earned it after all, so wtf cares if we (the State) simply take it all back to pay for stuff those without all that luck need?"

So now you explain to me, why in the f*** would I be hostile to people who have benefited from luck when a few posts up I talked about how I personally have benefited massively from luck? Christ just admitting the reality that luck is a huge part in becoming wealthy in most cases translates to "hostility" - no that is called being a realist and not letting your ego blind you to the lucky opportunities you have benefited from.

Just the act of not being born in the 3rd world is probably like what, 1 in 2 chance? That's your first dice roll of many.

Skill and potential are also large factors but your potential as say a software engineer is unlikely to help you much if you are born in some war torn s***hole, because you most likely will not have the necessary life opportunities arise that you would be able to take advantage of with your skill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2019, 08:11 AM
 
29,748 posts, read 15,576,722 times
Reputation: 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes. Warren "Burger King Tax Inversion" Buffett. Burger King's headquarters are in Canada, now, so Burger King no longer pays any US corporate taxes on profits earned outside the US.
One of many moves he has made to reduce his tax liability.

Hey, I'm ok with people and companies following the law to reduce their tax liability; however, when a person says they should be paying more taxes while doing EVERYTHING in their power to pay the least amount possible, of course I'm going to point out their hypocrisy.

Buffett plays libs like a fiddle as he laughs all the way to the bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 08:16 AM
 
19,480 posts, read 12,336,074 times
Reputation: 10723
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I know youíre a physician; most people canít even imagine the number of years that you attended school and an internship; the amount of lost sleep, huge debt, and years of foregoing any kind of social life to become a doctor.

My husband is a CPU engineer. He went to college for eight years to achieve his goal of a PhD. I laugh when he tells me how little time he had for any kind of social life.

It takes a decision early in life to follow the track to success for most people. Itís a commitment that overrides everything else in your life. You work your butt off to achieve the education required in a field that offers you interest and excitement and your payoff for those years is a career in a field that you enjoy.

Itís simply too big of a commitment for most, but that doesnít stop people from complaining anyway about the success of others. Calling success ďluckĒ is a chumpís game.
Yup-


Like your husband, my "luck" involved sitting in a library and working in the hospital for about ten years. Luck didn't help me with admission exams or board exams- studying did.


You make your own "luck through effort and dedication. Saying that luck is the primary factor in wealth accumulation absolves one of any personal responsibility and makes them feel better about not achieving goals.


It is much easier to say that one is not wealthy because they are unlucky, rather than admitting they did not work hard enough or study hard enough in school. However, as dems are victims, few will accept personal responsibility for their lot in life. It is always someone else's fault, or "luck" that has created their station in life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Barrington
46,243 posts, read 34,238,582 times
Reputation: 15418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
When politicians say that the rich should pay more in taxes I ask pay more for what reason?

When you look at the democrats who are running for president. They all want medicare-for-all and some form of free college. These things would require more taxation. But many Americans disagree with these things and the higher taxes that will come with them. So should the rich be paying more in taxes just to provide more funding for things many Americans disagree with? Aren't the rich paying enough taxes to cover our current government services and programs?
A Republican Majority and Trump had the opportunity to create a flat tax and eliminate all deductions/ credits.

Instead, they chose to persist with progressive taxation and maintain or create new ways to adjust gross income.

ď ALLĒ are not advocating for Medicare for ALL and/ or free college. The top 4 are split on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 08:18 AM
 
4,939 posts, read 1,380,114 times
Reputation: 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Yup-


Like your husband, my "luck" involved sitting in a library and working in the hospital for about ten years. Luck didn't help me with admission exams or board exams- studying did.


You make your own "luck through effort and dedication. Saying that luck is the primary factor in wealth accumulation absolves one of any personal responsibility and makes them feel better about not achieving goals.


It is much easier to say that one is not wealthy because they are unlucky, rather than admitting they did not work hard enough or study hard enough in school. However, as dems are victims, few will accept personal responsibility for their lot in life. It is always someone else's fault, or "luck" that has created their station in life
You were born in a country that has hospitals and libraries, instead of into a country that is mostly a subsistence farming economy, so lets start there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Barrington
46,243 posts, read 34,238,582 times
Reputation: 15418
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
There is a common sense of gratification when "those evil rich bastards" get taxed at a higher rate than the rest of us. But the bigger question: Why is the government entitled to anybody else's money? This great nation rose from irrelevance to the status as the greatest nation on earth largely because we used to have a government that left us the hell alone. Now we have a government that recklessly squanders most of the money they take in, funding criminally inefficient programs that are constantly being ripped off by opportunists because the feds just make it too easy to rip them off. The US government does a terrible job of pretty much everything it does.

I think you could do a lot more good voluntarily pooling resources to pay for things like roads, welfare, Social Security, healthcare, etc., and having good oversight watching where the money goes. You could even liver your dream of giving up 2/3 of your income "for the greater good". Sure there should be government, just a lot less of it.
Voluntarily pooling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 08:21 AM
 
29,748 posts, read 15,576,722 times
Reputation: 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
You were born in a country that has hospitals and libraries, instead of into a country that is mostly a subsistence farming economy, so lets start there.
So, shouldn't everyone receive the exact same income since outcome is based on luck.

You are lucky to not be addicted to drugs by not being born prone to it. So, shouldn't the corner drug addict receive the same income as you who just happened to be lucky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 08:24 AM
 
29,748 posts, read 15,576,722 times
Reputation: 20190
Since most liberals want the government to assign income, housing, etc; they need to get people to believe outcome is not based upon anything but luck and being born with advantage.

If they can get people to believe this, they are a step closer to full government control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 08:24 AM
 
4,939 posts, read 1,380,114 times
Reputation: 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, shouldn't everyone receive the exact same income since outcome is based on luck.

You are lucky to not be addicted to drugs by not being born prone to it. So, shouldn't the corner drug addict receive the same income as you who just happened to be lucky?
Holy crap I haven't said a single word about income redistribution, taxes or anything. I simply recognized the reality that luck is the most important factor in becoming wealthy and people can't wait to put words in my mouth and assume I am poor.

I am fine with the tiered graduated scale we already have, you should never make "less" money than you currently do by making one more dollar but some level of diminishing returns is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Barrington
46,243 posts, read 34,238,582 times
Reputation: 15418
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
On the other hand, should the poor be expected to pay less percentage wise in taxes?
Generally speaking, the poor donít pay Federal taxes. The 2017 Tax Reform double downed on this and doubled the Child Tax Credit and did not touch the Earned Income Tax Credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top