U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM

21,664 posts, read 19,411,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You have a right to say what you want but you do not have the right to dictate how others shall live their life.
He is right of course, the current income and wealth distribution shows a serious problem and malfunction. And it is up to government to correct it, since we already know that humans are egoists who won't fix it themselves as long as they benefit from the problem.

As they say, you can only fix a problem when you realize you have one. Something like that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM

5,203 posts, read 1,429,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
the government should spend less! Period, end of story.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unfortunately, politicians get elected by bribing voters, "giving" them more stuff. aka "spending more".

And they know it.

Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM

1,510 posts, read 311,085 times
Quote:
You have a right to say what you want but you do not have the right to dictate how others shall live their life.
Ironic you should say that. I am not dictating how anyone shall live their lives. What I'm saying is that with the current system it is a small group of people that in fact do dictate how the rest of us live. And you don't only sanction it, but cheer it.

Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM

1,510 posts, read 311,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
You couldn't be more wrong. I always find it funny when people are so boldly and proudly ignorant, you might want to check out the TOS for the limits to the "right" you think you have here.

http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
The forum rules are set to keep order and respect. Within rules I can say whatever I want. Isn't this obvious enough? Your comment is a complete waste of space. Perhaps it is you who should refrain from posting if you can't understand what others actually say. Misrepresentation of ideas have no limit.

If I were to reword the above in one phrase, then that would be against the rules. So I tried to put it as politely as I could.

Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM

4,110 posts, read 2,145,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
When politicians say that the rich should pay more in taxes I ask pay more for what reason?

When you look at the democrats who are running for president. They all want medicare-for-all and some form of free college. These things would require more taxation. But many Americans disagree with these things and the higher taxes that will come with them. So should the rich be paying more in taxes just to provide more funding for things many Americans disagree with? Aren't the rich paying enough taxes to cover our current government services and programs?
Because with great power comes great responsibility to help your fellow human beings. Beyond this, high concentration of wealth is toxic for democracies, representative republics, or whatever you care to call them. Look no further than Pre-Revolution France, Pre-Revolution Russia, and most of Latin America.

Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM

2,835 posts, read 1,934,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Because with great power comes great responsibility to help your fellow human beings. Beyond this, high concentration of wealth is toxic for democracies, representative republics, or whatever you care to call them. Look no further than Pre-Revolution France, Pre-Revolution Russia, and most of Latin America.
I've found that for the most part, the wealthy are very generous to those less fortunate. I doubt that was the case in pre-revolution France, Russia and Latin America.

Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I've found that for the most part, the wealthy are very generous to those less fortunate. I doubt that was the case in pre-revolution France, Russia and Latin America.
What you call generosity is small change to them.
If a rich person gave 50 to 75% of their wealth back to society, I would agree.

Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM

11,462 posts, read 6,005,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
The forum rules are set to keep order and respect. Within rules I can say whatever I want. Isn't this obvious enough? Your comment is a complete waste of space. Perhaps it is you who should refrain from posting if you can't understand what others actually say. Misrepresentation of ideas have no limit.

If I were to reword the above in one phrase, then that would be against the rules. So I tried to put it as politely as I could.
Sounds like you have some pent up anger issues, but I'm glad you can acknowledge that you really cant say "whatever you want" on here.

Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM

19,061 posts, read 9,708,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
Ironic you should say that. I am not dictating how anyone shall live their lives. What I'm saying is that with the current system it is a small group of people that in fact do dictate how the rest of us live. And you don't only sanction it, but cheer it.
You are dictating when you force others to pay income taxes. You are dictating that they canít keep what they earn.

Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM

Quote:
You are dictating when you force others to pay income taxes. You are dictating that they canít keep what they earn.
Paying income tax is totally normal virtually everywhere around the globe. There are few exceptions, I think the Saudis don't pay any. But wait until they run out of oil...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or