U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM

8,532 posts, read 1,971,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Article I, Section 8, Clause 1: The Congress shall have Power to lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States.
That exact passage is why the Constitution is a complete sham and has no basis in reality.

No one has the right to the fruits of another's labor. All taxation is theft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM

30,328 posts, read 15,738,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
That exact passage is why the Constitution is a complete sham and has no basis in reality.

No one has the right to the fruits of another's labor. All taxation is theft.
Good luck getting that genie back in the bottle.

I wish all taxes would have started and remained at the local level allowing people to essentially opt in with their feet.

Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM

7,113 posts, read 1,531,920 times
For those who say all taxation is theft --

How would you propose that things that virtually everyone benefits from are paid for? Would you have toll roads for ALL roads, streets, and highways, for example? Or how about firefighters who specialize in putting out national forest fires? Would you propose that you divide the cost of putting out the fire among all the anticipated visitors to the park for the next 50 years or whatever -- taking inflation into consideration, of course? Or how about if you suspect that someone might be breaking into your home? Should the dispatcher take your credit card for the amount of the cost of sending a police officer to your home sending the officer out?

These are serious questions, btw -- and the list could go on and on and on.

Last edited by katharsis; Yesterday at 03:15 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM

6,441 posts, read 6,738,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If I was so fortunate to be a millionaire, I wouldn't mind paying more taxes for the common good as long as I remained a millionaire after doing so.
And as long as spending was controlled.

Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Everyone should pay the same tax rate regardless of income.

Its called equal treatment under the law

But what if someone CAN'T pay any income taxes because they are unable to earn a paycheck? Are you saying they shouldn't be allowed to have police services, have their children educated, etc.?

(And, btw, my husband and I paid over $20K in federal and state income taxes last year, not including property and sales taxes, so we are not one of the poor asking for "freebies".)

Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
For those who say all taxation is theft --

How would you propose that things that virtually everyone benefits from are paid for? Would you have toll roads for ALL roads, streets, and highways, for example? Or how about firefighters who specialize in putting out national forest fires? Would you propose that you divide the cost of putting out the fire among all the anticipated visitors to the park for the next 50 years or whatever -- taking inflation into consideration, of course? Or how about if you suspect that someone might be breaking into your home? Should the dispatcher take your credit card for the amount of the cost of sending a police officer to your home sending the officer out?

These are serious questions, btw -- and the list could go on and on and on.
Roads:

8 Oldest Roads in the United States | Oldest.org

Quote:
The idea for the Lincoln Highway was conceived by a group of automobile enthusiasts and industry officials who called themselves the Lincoln Highway Association (LHA). The LHA was led by Carl Fisher who dreamed of a road that spanned across the United States from coast to coast and would accommodate automobiles. Fisher called his idea the Coast-to-Coast Rock Highway and wanted the new highway to serve as a model for how all future highways in the United States should be built.

To fund the highway, Fisher convinced his friends in the automotive industry to pledge $1 million each. However, Henry Ford was notably absent from the list of donors event though Fisher had asked because Ford believed that the government should be responsible for building the country’s roads. The Lincoln Highway was built over many years and today, most of the road is now part of U.S. Route 30.

Fire:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_firefighting

Quote:
The United States did not have government-run fire departments until around the time of the American Civil War. Prior to this time, private fire brigades competed with one another to be the first to respond to a fire because insurance companies paid brigades to save buildings.

Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM

13,063 posts, read 10,118,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
When politicians say that the rich should pay more in taxes I ask pay more for what reason?

When you look at the democrats who are running for president. They all want medicare-for-all and some form of free college. These things would require more taxation. But many Americans disagree with these things and the higher taxes that will come with them. So should the rich be paying more in taxes just to provide more funding for things many Americans disagree with? Aren't the rich paying enough taxes to cover our current government services and programs?
The truth is that the "more" that is being suggested is above some huge amount of yearly income. The further truth is these so-called free things are good for a lot of things, including the economy. Like it or not, we are in a global economy. If we want to compete in the global economy, we have to such a lot less than we do.

Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM

23,795 posts, read 12,548,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Fake millionaire willing to give away fake money...shocking.
We've heard from a fair number of millionaires that have suggested that they could stand to pay more taxes in order to help boost the middle class.

I do agree that increasing revenue would help but at the same time we need to cut costs.There is excess every where.

Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM

Oh, yes, I can just see all those automakers volunteering to fund all of the nation's road and highway systems and maintaining them. And you think cars are expensive now! And what about buses, subways and trains? Maybe the manufacturers or those could donate those as well.

And ditto for private insurance companies paying for firefighters' equipment and salaries. I could be wrong, but I don't think the federal forests are insured.

Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Oh, yes, I can just see all those automakers volunteering to fund all of the nation's road and highway systems and maintaining them. And you think cars are expensive now! And what about buses, subways and trains? Maybe the manufacturers or those could donate those as well.

And ditto for private insurance companies paying for firefighters' equipment and salaries. I could be wrong, but I don't think the federal forests are insured.
Sorry if you don't like that it actually has been done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or