U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:28 PM

15,424 posts, read 13,491,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
First of all, it usually isn't a matter of fortunate as it is hard/smart work. Second you say that right up to the point of actually paying. Then, no doubt, your story would change.

So, hang some flesh on the bones of your post you would be okay if you had $5M in the bank and were taxed down to $1M?
Sure. Why not? I'd still be far better off than the struggling low income people who pay none. I have middle income and live a reasonably comfortable, secure life as it is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:30 PM

67,015 posts, read 30,706,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Compare & contrast:

"The subjects of every state ought to contribute towards the support of the government, as nearly as possible, in proportion to their respective abilities."
~Adam Smith (1776)

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs."
~Karl Marx (1875)
I can see you still don't understand what "in proportion to" means.

Let's recap... it's ninth grade math.
Quote:
Example: Rope

A rope's length and weight are in proportion when 20m of rope weighs 1kg, then:
40m of that rope weighs 2kg
200m of that rope weighs 10kg
etc.
https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/proportions.html

Adam Smith advocates a flat tax rate. That is, everyone pays the same percent. Just like the rope example... at a 12% flat tax rate:

A $50,000 earner pays $6,000
A $500,000 earner pays $60,000

That's in proprtion.

Old Yesterday, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Really? How condescending you are!

If you don’t mind paying more taxes, you can write a check to IRS. I have not heard that IRS would indict people for paying extra taxes.

Maybe you don’t mind, what about others? Why do you presume others ought to think like you?
I'm not a millionaire. And I'm only speaking for myself, if I was one, and not proposing tax reform laws, other than switching to a national sales tax. I wouldn't mind a tax that isn't based on income level. Many conservatives will tell you all income taxes discourags greater productivity, since the reward from the government is to be taxed for it.

Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Yes, the system is definitely rigged against success and the successful!
That's why the federal income tax should be abolished and a national sales tax adopted to take its place.

Old Yesterday, 11:46 PM

334 posts, read 56,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Sure. Why not? I'd still be far better off than the struggling low income people who pay none. I have middle income and live a reasonably comfortable, secure life as it is now.
What would be the point of working hard if keep none of the gain from working hard.

Old Yesterday, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
There's only one reason the rich should pay more: they can and still live a life of luxury. You tax someone making $30k a year $30k and they'll starve to death. You can tax someone making $8 million a year 50% and they'll still have a couple Ferraris.
Some people don't have that much common sense.

Old Yesterday, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I have a co-worker that thinks this way. He thinks 70 to 90 percent taxes on the wealthy is fine with him. He said that if someone makes 10M a year and is taxed at 90 percent he still makes a million a year. That should be enough money to him.

I looked at him and I was speechless. If someone is making 10M yr they most likely a highly productive people and talented. Why should they be taxed and essentially punished for being successful.
Once again, abolish all income tax and replace it with a sales tax.

Old Today, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why are you so keen on being a millionaire? Low social self-esteem?

I am much more interested in a peaceful, functioning society, which in turn requires good infrastructure and a tight social net. I don't mind paying taxes at all, as long as I still have enough left to pay my bills. Having a strong character, I do not want to accumulate wealth, nor let wealth to my children when I die. Let them work if they want to get anywhere...
Why not wish to be a millionaire? You want a functioning society with good infrastructure and tight social net. It's about the common good and requires tax dollars. The more millionaires, the more tax dollars available for the common good.

Old Today, 12:15 AM

9,075 posts, read 4,515,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
There is a common sense of gratification when "those evil rich bastards" get taxed at a higher rate than the rest of us. But the bigger question: Why is the government entitled to anybody else's money? This great nation rose from irrelevance to the status as the greatest nation on earth largely because we used to have a government that left us the hell alone. Now we have a government that recklessly squanders most of the money they take in, funding criminally inefficient programs that are constantly being ripped off by opportunists because the feds just make it too easy to rip them off. The US government does a terrible job of pretty much everything it does.

I think you could do a lot more good voluntarily pooling resources to pay for things like roads, welfare, Social Security, healthcare, etc., and having good oversight watching where the money goes. You could even liver your dream of giving up 2/3 of your income "for the greater good". Sure there should be government, just a lot less of it.
Quote:
But the bigger question: Why is the government entitled to anybody else's money?
They're not, but they would have us believe they are ... so far (we are) it is working for them.

Old Today, 12:17 AM

9,075 posts, read 4,515,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Once again, abolish all income tax and replace it with a sales tax.
What and have each State take care of their own? Surely you jest ... them's fight 'en words there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or