U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 07:07 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
20,373 posts, read 13,973,896 times
Reputation: 5242

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
When politicians say that the rich should pay more in taxes I ask pay more for what reason?

When you look at the democrats who are running for president. They all want medicare-for-all and some form of free college. These things would require more taxation. But many Americans disagree with these things and the higher taxes that will come with them. So should the rich be paying more in taxes just to provide more funding for things many Americans disagree with? Aren't the rich paying enough taxes to cover our current government services and programs?
This question goes all the way back to our founding, where much quarreling took place on whether or not some people should pay taxes at a higher rate than others. On the matter of taxation, there was not just one voice on how taxes should be imposed on individual citizens.

Thomas Jefferson said in a 1785 letter to James Madison, “Another means of silently lessening the inequality of property is to exempt all from taxation below a certain point, and to tax the higher portions of property in geometrical progression as they rise.”

Last edited by Wapasha; Today at 07:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 07:13 AM
 
67,019 posts, read 30,706,792 times
Reputation: 8768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
A national sales tax ONLY!
I would agree only if there were no minimum income exclusion. Everyone pays. Everyone has skin in the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
30,702 posts, read 20,270,319 times
Reputation: 8488
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Article I, Section 8, Clause 1: The Congress shall have Power to lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States.

Correct, and all imposts (taxes) shall be uniform. Taxing certain people more than others is NOT uniform.

People are not taxed at different rates.

Unequal incomes are taxed at different rates.

If I earn a million dollars this year, I will pay a millionaire's tax rate.

It's nothing personal.

I would prefer that we tax property/wealth directly since that is what the federal government protects.

If you own a lot of things, including money, you should be the one that pays for its protection.

No reason a working-class 18-yr-old male should be compelled to fight in a war to defend your right to own more **** than he ever will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
20,373 posts, read 13,973,896 times
Reputation: 5242
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Not really.

Is a CEO 271 times smarter than a line worker?

Do they work 271 times harder?
You might look at it with these thoughts in mind. If the skill sets required to be a top tier CEO were common. If everyone with those particular skill sets also possessed the same visionary talents, ingenuity and leadership to grow their corporation and increase their profits.. Than CEO pay would be a much, much lower.

Ever wonder why certain entertainers, actors, movie directors, singers, and other performers, get paid so much money? It's because it's extremely rare for an actor to carry a movie like John Wayne did, or perform songs like Whitney Huston did.

I don't know if you are familiar with the show American Idol, but upwards of 100,000 people audition. Most seasons the winner is no where near to being the next Whitney Huston, and they are not as good as your favorite musical recording artist is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:40 AM
 
822 posts, read 215,469 times
Reputation: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
When politicians say that the rich should pay more in taxes I ask pay more for what reason?

When you look at the democrats who are running for president. They all want medicare-for-all and some form of free college. These things would require more taxation. But many Americans disagree with these things and the higher taxes that will come with them. So should the rich be paying more in taxes just to provide more funding for things many Americans disagree with? Aren't the rich paying enough taxes to cover our current government services and programs?
That's fine, stop bailing them out when they have robbed us and stop the subsidies. Otherwise, Just considerate it a fee for having the privilege of being able to control markets and steal whatever you need to gain more control
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:43 AM
 
13,057 posts, read 4,746,097 times
Reputation: 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You might look at it with these thoughts in mind. If the skill sets required to be a top tier CEO were common. If everyone with those particular skill sets also possessed the same visionary talents, ingenuity and leadership to grow their corporation and increase their profits.. Than CEO pay would be a much, much lower.

Ever wonder why certain entertainers, actors, movie directors, singers, and other performers, get paid so much money? It's because it's extremely rare for an actor to carry a movie like John Wayne did, or perform songs like Whitney Huston did.

I don't know if you are familiar with the show American Idol, but upwards of 100,000 people audition. Most seasons the winner is no where near to being the next Whitney Huston, and they are not as good as your favorite musical recording artist is.
It has nothing to do with how "good" they are, but rather how much leverage they have. CEO-to-worker pay ratio has skyrocketed since the 1960s. Its not because CEOs have become 50 times better/smarter/more hardworking than the typical worker. With sports stars and artists, its all about marketing. Does the best paid artist today have 100 times better voice than the best voice 50 years ago? You know its all about marketing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
20,373 posts, read 13,973,896 times
Reputation: 5242
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
It has nothing to do with how "good" they are, but rather how much leverage they have. CEO-to-worker pay ratio has skyrocketed since the 1960s. Its not because CEOs have become 50 times better/smarter/more hardworking than the typical worker. With sports stars and artists, its all about marketing. Does the best paid artist today have 100 times better voice than the best voice 50 years ago? You know its all about marketing.

The world has changed drastically since the 1960s, or 1990s for that matter. We have a world economy now, it's not just the USA and a few European countries who dominate the markets. If one of the best CEO's in the world is only offered an annual salary of $300,000 by Ford Motor Company, because they want to reduce the salary gap of their employees, and then corporations in South Korea or China offer him over $1 million a year...?


You can be concerned about the income pay gaps, but if all US corporations decided to implement a salary cap of $300,000 a year in total compensation, our nation would suffer a brain drain, because alll the best and brightest would leave the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:29 AM
 
13,057 posts, read 4,746,097 times
Reputation: 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The world has changed drastically since the 1960s, or 1990s for that matter. We have a world economy now, it's not just the USA and a few European countries who dominate the markets. If one of the best CEO's in the world is only offered an annual salary of $300,000 by Ford Motor Company, because they want to reduce the salary gap of their employees, and then corporations in South Korea or China offer him over $1 million a year...?


You can be concerned about the income pay gaps, but if all US corporations decided to implement a salary cap of $300,000 a year in total compensation, our nation would suffer a brain drain, because alll the best and brightest would leave the US.
A $300 000 salary cap is just as silly as arguing that CEOs and sports stars are 50 times smarter/better today than 50 years ago. Please try to be open to a middle ground here and not go from one extreme to the other.

Rich people threatening to leave is just a paper tiger. Lets find the guts to call out their bluff and not act like meek mice. Hardly anyone really leaves and the US government already makes it difficult as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:45 AM
 
19,200 posts, read 9,783,045 times
Reputation: 5373
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If you want more from government, somebody has to pay for it. If you want less, good luck getting a tax cut.
Again, thatís slavery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:48 AM
 
19,200 posts, read 9,783,045 times
Reputation: 5373
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
A $300 000 salary cap is just as silly as arguing that CEOs and sports stars are 50 times smarter/better today than 50 years ago. Please try to be open to a middle ground here and not go from one extreme to the other.

Rich people threatening to leave is just a paper tiger. Lets find the guts to call out their bluff and not act like meek mice. Hardly anyone really leaves and the US government already makes it difficult as it is.
What? Somehow enslaving others is a great thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top