U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 05:20 AM

8,193 posts, read 2,812,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If I was so fortunate to be a millionaire, I wouldn't mind paying more taxes for the common good as long as I remained a millionaire after doing so.

So nice of you to make that decision for everyone else.

And BTW, anyone who wants to pay more taxes is readily able to do so.

Simply make your check payable to the Dept of Treasury.

They will gladly accept your donation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 05:22 AM

2,609 posts, read 1,309,002 times
Those that claim the rich should pay more may be growing weary of so-called "tax breaks" that seem to favor the wealthy over the 99%.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Because they have more. Thatís why.

So?

Old 07-31-2019, 05:24 AM

12,996 posts, read 4,699,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Im not against the rich at all. Personally I think it's bs that they are vilified. I'm part of the 99%. But I am not against the 1% at all. I am against the liberal politicians who use unnamed faceless rich people to get votes from the 99% and in the meantime are cutting deals with those they proclaim to be against!
But the rich are not against it. So why do you feel the need to defend the rich when they dont even need it? Makes no sense. The rich are doing just fine, they dont need your support.

And I fail to see what's so great about bribing politicians in order to rig the game. If that is not class warfare against the working class, then what is?

Old 07-31-2019, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
Defense of the nation. Education of our kids. Infrastruture/roads/air. Paying for police, fire, other programs aimed to protect citizens. One could go on forever discussing the needs of citizens that they can't provide themselves. Who the hell do you think funds all the great things our country has. Our country has evolved greatly from the first settlers how came here and did everything themselves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_didn%27t_build_that

Some of the above are valid reasons for taxation.

Some of it is not.

It's not an all or nothing equation.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:27 AM

2,053 posts, read 2,256,411 times
Everyone should pay the same tax rate regardless of income.

Its called equal treatment under the law

Old 07-31-2019, 05:30 AM

Location: Port Charlotte, FL - Pasadena, People's Republic of Maryland
2,971 posts, read 2,869,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I have yet to have anyone explain how progressive taxation is "fair".

Why should any American pay a higher or lower percentage of their income in taxes than any other American?

The only response you'll get is "the rich don't need that much money".

And that's not a valid reason.

When charity becomes compulsory through the force of government, it's no longer charity.

It's theft.

Now.....I'm not so Libertarian on the subject that I think all taxation is theft.....

There's a certain amount of income the government needs to be able to fulfill it's Constitutionally defined functions.

Namely, national defense, border and immigration enforcement and certain infrastructure projects that would be logistically or financially impossible for states or local municipalities to achieve on their own.

But any taxation beyond what is necessary for that is indeed tantamount to theft.

Especially redistributive taxes.
Thank-you (I couldn't rep you again).

Old 07-31-2019, 05:30 AM

8,141 posts, read 2,444,079 times
We need a Labor Party. Did you ever question what is meant by 'doing more with less' really means?

Doing more what with less what?

Cui bono?

Old 07-31-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
But the rich are not against it. So why do you feel the need to defend the rich when they dont even need it? Makes no sense. The rich are doing just fine, they dont need your support.

And I fail to see what's so great about bribing politicians in order to rig the game. If that is not class warfare against the working class, then what is?

Lol.....

Because progressive taxation doesn't just screw the rich.

It screws anybody who makes even a modest middle class income.

And attacking "the rich" is just a way to justify continuing to bend over the taxpayers.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:42 AM

1,367 posts, read 307,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Which rich? Venture capitalists or bust out parasites?
What is rich? 10MM? 100?

Im for Medicare for all. WITH copays and deductibles and paid for by replacing the money currently spent. Until congress is willing to talk about the monopolistic / oligopoly practices of big pharma and big hospitals... which will happen the first of NEVER since that is who they represent.
Posters here complaining about the rich paying taxes all think they're rich. But I'm guessing most fall in the middle to lower middle class. And as such, the ones complaining about paying their fair share probably have gained the most our of what the return on taxes provide (safety, infrastructure, education, health, welfare). They probably don't even think about what being a citizen of the United States of America brings them/provides them. Three-fourths of the world's population would be very thankful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or