U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2019, 07:04 AM

19,045 posts, read 9,705,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
When politicians say that the rich should pay more in taxes I ask pay more for what reason?

When you look at the democrats who are running for president. They all want medicare-for-all and some form of free college. These things would require more taxation. But many Americans disagree with these things and the higher taxes that will come with them. So should the rich be paying more in taxes just to provide more funding for things many Americans disagree with? Aren't the rich paying enough taxes to cover our current government services and programs?
Because.

Next question please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 07:15 AM

11,789 posts, read 8,348,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
No, my comment was not absurd. Once again, if I was fortunate enough to be a millionaire, I wouldn't mind paying higher taxes, if I was still a millionaire after paying them.
Here is a scenario which is actually playing out in real life with regards to the tax structure:

You go into a store in which there are no prices listed on the items, you pick out what you need and proceed to the checkout counter to pay for the item. Instead of telling you what the item costs, you are asked to hand over your W2 to the cashier and the price of that item is then calculated based on what you make.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:19 AM

5,214 posts, read 1,307,394 times
Quote:
If I was so fortunate to be a millionaire, I wouldn't mind paying more taxes for the common good as long as I remained a millionaire after doing so.
Haha. You're like my sister. If I had a million $$......

Always willing to give away OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:22 AM

14,751 posts, read 9,177,127 times
If I get a raise that ours me into a higher income bracket I have to pay more taxes. So why shouldn’t the rich have too? What makes them special?

Old 07-31-2019, 07:24 AM

5,214 posts, read 1,307,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
How is that class warfare against the rich?

If anything thats class warfare by the rich against the working class through bribes and manipulation.
It's class warfare because the Democrats have convinced you that any one who is rich has done it dishonestly so it makes you mad and you vote for them. The funny party is, they are the corrupt ones. Just look at Cummings. Where did all that money go to fix his district? Look at Chicago. Pensions liability higher than ever. Every other day, there is a story in the TRibune about the corruption here. Did you know the Chicago CPD CEO is in prison because she gave a $20m no bid contract to her former company for which SHE got a $2m kickback? The corruption is rampant in all the Democrat run cities.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:28 AM

11,610 posts, read 8,503,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" I wouldn't mind paying more" You say that NOW BUT?????

Besides the "rich" CURRENTLY pay MORE of ALL income taxes the fed takes in and some whine and cry that is N OT enough!

"What percentage of taxes are paid by the rich?In 2016, the top 1 percent of taxpayers accounted for more income taxes paid than the bottom 90 percent combined. The top 1 percent of taxpayers paid roughly $538 billion, or 37.3 percent of all income taxes, while the bottom 90 percent paid about $440 billion, or 30.5 percent of all income taxes.Nov 13, 2018

Summary of the Latest Federal Income Tax Data, 2018 Update

https://taxfoundation.org/summary-latest-federal-income-tax-data-2018-update/
So what?

Most money came from that group because the have the most money.

Most of us pay a percentage. Like the guy from Omaha said, why should his secretary pay a higher per centavo of her pay than he does.

Most low income pay FICA on the entire paycheck. Why should the more well not do the same. I really enjoyed getting that raise in June every year.

Why don' we all pay a flat rate not deductions? It is not the business of government to give us a tax deduction for any of our choices.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:31 AM

7,027 posts, read 2,563,349 times
Quote:
If I was so fortunate to be a millionaire, I wouldn't mind paying more taxes for the common good as long as I remained a millionaire after doing so.
And if you didn't remain a millionaire after doing so, what then?

PS - becoming a millionaire isn't a matter of luck, so it isn't good fortune that makes one a millionaire, it's behavior and choices.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:44 AM

8,064 posts, read 4,224,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
Defense of the nation. Education of our kids. Infrastruture/roads/air. Paying for police, fire, other programs aimed to protect citizens. One could go on forever discussing the needs of citizens that they can't provide themselves. Who the hell do you think funds all the great things our country has. Our country has evolved greatly from the first settlers how came here and did everything themselves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_didn%27t_build_that
That covers an incredibly minimalistic government. Not one that runs around the globe playing world policeman. The federal government's involvement in education mostly just screws it up. The federal government's social programs, while certainly well meaning, are massive targets for fraud, opportunism and even a lot of people drawing benefits that they don't even realize they're unqualified for.

Out of curiosity, what would you consider "the great things our country has"? Regardless, we have a bloated and inefficient government who feels entitled to between 10% and 30% of every penny you make, then spends most of it on military actions that have nothing to do with national defense, social programs that are criminally inefficient and constantly being ripped off, and interest on our $22.5 trillion in federal debt.

If you just covered everything else, you might not even need federal income tax.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:48 AM

4,939 posts, read 1,380,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
And if you didn't remain a millionaire after doing so, what then?

PS - becoming a millionaire isn't a matter of luck, so it isn't good fortune that makes one a millionaire, it's behavior and choices.
Luck is probably the MOST important factor in becoming wealthy. You may need the behavior and choices too, but the #1 most important part is being in the right place at the right time, with the right resources and skills to take advantage of it.

Luck > Skill 100% - Why work hard developing lots of difficult and profitable skills, pursuing a career your whole life, carefully investing your money, being frugal and scraping away every penny.

You could have just been born into the right family and never work a day in your life. There is no way anyone can convince me luck is not the most important factor here.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:50 AM

66,776 posts, read 30,515,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
The rich benefit most from national security, government-funded research, infrastructure, and property laws. The rich benefit more, because they have more to defend and have more invested in the system sustaining itself. Taxpayer-funded research at the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (the Internet), the National Institute of Health (pharmaceuticals), and the National Science Foundation (the Digital Library Initiative) has laid a half-century foundation for their idea-building. The interstates and airports and FAA and TSA benefit people who have the money to travel.
So, you advocate that the rich should pay federal income tax that is directly proportionate to their share of the income. I agree. Those who earn more will pay more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or