Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 05:43 AM

59,031 posts, read 27,298,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If I was so fortunate to be a millionaire, I wouldn't mind paying more taxes for the common good as long as I remained a millionaire after doing so.

" I wouldn't mind paying more" You say that NOW BUT?????

Besides the "rich" CURRENTLY pay MORE of ALL income taxes the fed takes in and some whine and cry that is N OT enough!

"What percentage of taxes are paid by the rich?In 2016, the top 1 percent of taxpayers accounted for more income taxes paid than the bottom 90 percent combined. The top 1 percent of taxpayers paid roughly $538 billion, or 37.3 percent of all income taxes, while the bottom 90 percent paid about $440 billion, or 30.5 percent of all income taxes.Nov 13, 2018

Summary of the Latest Federal Income Tax Data, 2018 Update

https://taxfoundation.org/summary-latest-federal-income-tax-data-2018-update/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 05:46 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
When politicians say that the rich should pay more in taxes I ask pay more for what reason?

When you look at the democrats who are running for president. They all want medicare-for-all and some form of free college. These things would require more taxation. But many Americans disagree with these things and the higher taxes that will come with them. So should the rich be paying more in taxes just to provide more funding for things many Americans disagree with? Aren't the rich paying enough taxes to cover our current government services and programs?

I think everyone should pay the same percentage, that way the poor pay less, but they have some skin in the game.

"Soaking the rich" does very little to raise revenue and only satisfies class warfare objectives for election purposes.

If you taxed the 1% at 100% rate (no money at all for them), it would only raise $900 billion. After one year, all the new "slaves" quit and you are back to zero.

A VAT tax, on the other hand, could raise $1.2 trillion for those who want revenue.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:48 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
No, my comment was not absurd. Once again, if I was fortunate enough to be a millionaire, I wouldn't mind paying higher taxes, if I was still a millionaire after paying them.

Bullcrap-

I am a "millionaire" (it is pretty common these days). You would not want to pay more taxes if you were a millionaire.

Name one millionaire or billionaire that (even though they say otherwise) actually pays more taxes than required.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:49 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
So they can get into heaven - if you have so much money can’t spend it all - can’t give out more jobs and it’s just siting there collecting dust and do not help your fellow man ? 2- you May not be aware , but your lawyers know it not 100 tight in how you do things. 3 - make you a better person, most elites are bustards . There are those like Gates who got it - and 1/2 is given away - plus they invest heavily in charities for peace of minds.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:53 AM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
More class warfare from the Democrats. They proclaim to hate the rich unless they need to go to the Hamptons for some fundraising!! Right Kamala??

One of my favorite quotes.

“There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”
― Warren Buffett

Old 07-31-2019, 05:57 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Those that claim the rich should pay more may be growing weary of so-called "tax breaks" that seem to favor the wealthy over the 99%.
Tax breaks will always favor those who pay the most in taxes.

How do you guve the roughly 45% who pay no federal income taxesca break?

This "tax the rich more" is based on nothing more than jealousy and envy.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:58 AM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Bullcrap-

I am a "millionaire" (it is pretty common these days). You would not want to pay more taxes if you were a millionaire.

Name one millionaire or billionaire that (even though they say otherwise) actually pays more taxes than required.
Well there is Buffett and Gates.

So now your a millionaire, add that to your resume of doctor, farmer, chemical engineer and climate change expert, quite a background.

Quote:
Warren Buffett doesn’t think the rich in America are paying enough in taxes. “The wealthy are definitely undertaxed relative to the general population,” he told CNBC’s Becky Quick during an interview on “Squawk Box” on Monday.
As industries become more specific and as workers develop more specialized skill sets, Buffett said, it’s the wealthy who benefit.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/25/warr...her-taxes.html

Old 07-31-2019, 05:59 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
One of my favorite quotes.

“There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”
― Warren Buffett
He tosses it on the ground, and you lap it up.

Buffett is such a phoney, and the libs worship his little platitudes.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:00 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,015 times
If I were a sheep, I’d gladly pay more taxes so the rich can pay less. Until then...

Old 07-31-2019, 06:01 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,589,940 times
If you want to reduce inequality it has little to do with taxes.

2 Simple ideas nearly impossible to get done.
1) Start enforcing laws against antitrust and oligopoly again.
2) Amend the constitution to kill lobbying. IE rich guys buying the business laws they want.

No tax increase needed. The above 2 will happen NEVER!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies