Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2019, 07:54 AM

29,970 posts, read 18,529,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Luck is probably the MOST important factor in becoming wealthy. You may need the behavior and choices too, but the #1 most important part is being in the right place at the right time, with the right resources and skills to take advantage of it.

Luck > Skill 100%
I completely disagree. It is primarily hard word and education. Luck is a component, but a small one.

Most people who are not wealthy say that "luck" or "inheritance" is the main factor in becoming wealthy. That is a complete fantasy, yet excuses the individual who has not achieved wealth, as those factors are beyond one's control. One does not have to practice introspection and responsibility when "luck" is the main factor in determining a certain outcome. The only time "luck" really comes into play is if someone is a lottery winner.

If you have not become wealthy, blame yourself; wealth is due to hard work and dedication, not luck.

Last edited by hawkeye2009; 07-31-2019 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 07:59 AM

13,774 posts, read 5,508,083 times
Quote:
Luck is probably the MOST important factor in becoming wealthy. You may need the behavior and choices too, but the #1 most important part is being in the right place at the right time, with the right resources and skills to take advantage of it.

Luck > Skill 100% - Why work hard developing lots of difficult and profitable skills, you could have just been born into the right family and never work a day in your life.
I should grab this quote for the "hostility based on ignorance" thread, as it is a perfect example of exactly that.

Per this topic, your clearly fervent belief that rich people are all just lucky goes a long way to explaining why you think they should be punished via taxation. Screw them and their good luck, eh? None of them earned it after all, so wtf cares if we (the State) simply take it all back to pay for stuff those without all that luck need?

Hostility based on ignorance, translated into power, then power used to exact vengeance upon those that you ignorantly believe "have it coming."

Oh yeah, you're a perfect statist.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:59 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,811,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I completely disagree. It is primarily hard word and education. Luck is a component, but a small one.

Most people who are not wealthy say that "luck" or "inheritance" is the main factor in becoming wealthy. That is a complete fantasy, yet excuses the individual who has not achieved wealth, as those factors are beyond one's control.

If you have not become wealthy, blame yourself; wealth is due to hard work and dedication, not luck.
Ah yes, because I recognize that luck is the most important factor I must be a poor person grovelling in the dirt.

Nope, I do just fine - you can spend that thought effort worrying about yourself instead.

Primarily because I had the correct skills and resources necessary at the inflection points in my life to take advantages of the best opportunities at the right times. There are about a million ways that it could have all gone wrong and a bunch of ways it could have gone better as well.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:00 AM

1,074 posts, read 634,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
When politicians say that the rich should pay more in taxes I ask pay more for what reason?

When you look at the democrats who are running for president. They all want medicare-for-all and some form of free college. These things would require more taxation. But many Americans disagree with these things and the higher taxes that will come with them. So should the rich be paying more in taxes just to provide more funding for things many Americans disagree with? Aren't the rich paying enough taxes to cover our current government services and programs?
I am about as far to the left as you can get, and I actually do not believe the rich should be taxed higher.
What makes more sense to me is to have a straight tax percentage across the board (a high one- I AM to the left after all), and REMOVE any and all tax loopholes.
Yes, people will find a way around it, and rich may continue to hide money overseas, and otherwise launder money, but if we conduct ourselves and our laws to always look for how to punish wrong-doers rather than how to reward right-doers, we will have onehelluva ridiculous existence.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I should grab this quote for the "hostility based on ignorance" thread, as it is a perfect example of exactly that.

Per this topic, your clearly fervent belief that rich people are all just lucky goes a long way to explaining why you think they should be punished via taxation. Screw them and their good luck, eh? None of them earned it after all, so wtf cares if we (the State) simply take it all back to pay for stuff those without all that luck need?

Hostility based on ignorance, translated into power, then power used to exact vengeance upon those that you ignorantly believe "have it coming."

Oh yeah, you're a perfect statist.
Ah yes, because I recognize that luck is the most important factor I must be a poor person grovelling in the dirt.

BZZZZT WRONG TRY AGAIN

And where did I say anything about taxes, I was talking about the role of luck in becoming wealthy. The 100% fastest and most reliable way to become wealthy is to be born into a wealthy family. You trying to tell me that isn't luck?

Old 07-31-2019, 08:01 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,477,084 times
Quote:

Luck > Skill 100% - Why work hard developing lots of difficult and profitable skills, pursuing a career your whole life, carefully investing your money, being frugal and scraping away every penny.

You could have just been born into the right family and never work a day in your life. There is no way anyone can convince me luck is not the most important factor here.
Ugggg, I've heard this argument from so many people dissatisfied with their lives.

"I'd be super wealthy if I was lucky like those other people."

What a copout.

It's like saying, "I'd be an NBA player if I was 6' 8"

Tell that to the thousands of really tall people who aren't in the NBA.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:02 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,464,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

Most people who are not wealthy say that "luck" or "inheritance" is the main factor in becoming wealthy. That is a complete fantasy, yet excuses the individual who has not achieved wealth, as those factors are beyond one's control.

I know you’re a physician; most people can’t even imagine the number of years that you attended school and an internship; the amount of lost sleep, huge debt, and years of foregoing any kind of social life to become a doctor.

My husband is a CPU engineer. He went to college for eight years to achieve his goal of a PhD. I laugh when he tells me how little time he had for any kind of social life.

It takes a decision early in life to follow the track to success for most people. It’s a commitment that overrides everything else in your life. You work your butt off to achieve the education required in a field that offers you interest and excitement and your payoff for those years is a career in a field that you enjoy.

It’s simply too big of a commitment for most, but that doesn’t stop people from complaining anyway about the success of others. Calling success “luck” is a chump’s game.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:04 AM

88,640 posts, read 44,393,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
He tosses it on the ground, and you lap it up.

Buffett is such a phoney, and the libs worship his little platitudes.
Yes. Warren "Burger King Tax Inversion" Buffett. Burger King's headquarters are in Canada, now, so Burger King no longer pays any US corporate taxes on profits earned outside the US.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Ugggg, I've heard this argument from so many people dissatisfied with their lives.

"I'd be super wealthy if I was lucky like those other people."

What a copout.

It's like saying, "I'd be an NBA player if I was 6' 8"

Tell that to the thousands of really tall people who aren't in the NBA.

BZZZZT WRONG TRY AGAIN

The NBA example actually reinforces my point, because for every 6'8 person in the NBA that is wealthy, there are most likely hundreds of 6'8(well maybe 6'8 is a stretch) people with equal or greater potential working **** jobs because their life events and the chances they had fell in a different order that ended with them working in fast food or wal mart instead of the NBA.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:07 AM

13,774 posts, read 5,508,083 times
Quote:

BZZZZT WRONG TRY AGAIN
I never even hinted at the words you are trying to put onto my keyboard. Where did I say you were poor or even remotely suggest it?

I said you are hostile towards a class of other people based on ignorance, given your stated belief. And I stand by the statement that your hostility is based on ignorance, and from that hostility, I can make a very educated guess on the nature and basis of your political beliefs.

Economic status does not dictate whether one is ignorant or not, for more on that see "total moron billionaire who happens to be President." That's why I made no such accusation, regardless of what your attempt at a straw man would argue otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies