Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 03:37 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times

Advertisements

Why poor should die in wars and work place? What difference does it make what set of entitled to your life bastards parasitize on your limited time in this world? Rightwingers imply that we just give our money, health and lives to the rich, just because, not because there is parasitic system in place enabling bottom to the top flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 03:37 PM

732 posts, read 390,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
When politicians say that the rich should pay more in taxes I ask pay more for what reason?

As a percentage of their earnings or as a gross amount?

The first might be because money has differing values on the margin. Your first dollar is worth far more to you than your millionth.

The second might be because the rich use the services more than you think. Public programs and/or the poh-lice keep poor people from eating the rich people.

Another reason, which I'm somewhat uncomfortable with, is that it's a mechanism to fix problems in markets. It would be better to find out why someone is rich and nudge the law a bit to make the world more competitive as opposed to allow them to get rich, take their money, and hand it out to favored groups.

One problem with fixing markets is that no one cares anymore. Anti-trust law is toothless (and is oriented, like free trade policies, against the civic health and towards low consumer prices), village commons problems are ignored, everyone is a stock market speculator, mass marketing works too well.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:50 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
No one is entitled to other people's money.
If you want more money, go out and earn it.
Our tax system should be a set percentage for everyone with no deductions. And a fair use flat tax on every good or service.
The people that complain about inherited wealth...you aren't entitled to that either. If someone becomes a millionaire, that is their money...they can do what they want with it, whether it is giving it to their kids, a charity or burying it with them. Just because someone worked hard, invested, or invented something and became a millionaire, doesnt mean that it should go to anyone that that individual didnt choose.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:55 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Sorry if you don't like that it actually has been done.

What? Insurance companies paying to put out forest fires? Yes, they will pay if an insured person's home is damaged or destroyed, but on land that isn't privately owned? I don't think so. Should we just shrug our shoulders at the next large forest fire and let it burn?

And, again, do you seriously think that car manufacturers will pay for our road and highway system and public transportation system, and just pass the cost on to consumers? I seriously doubt it. Not today in 2019. Also, people expect a lot more today than the roads that existed even 75 years ago. The interstate highway system wasn't even started until 1956.

https://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h4153.html

Stating the obvious, it was a different world back then.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:05 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
No one is entitled to other people's money.
If you want more money, go out and earn it.
Our tax system should be a set percentage for everyone with no deductions. And a fair use flat tax on every good or service.
The people that complain about inherited wealth...you aren't entitled to that either. If someone becomes a millionaire, that is their money...they can do what they want with it, whether it is giving it to their kids, a charity or burying it with them. Just because someone worked hard, invested, or invented something and became a millionaire, doesnt mean that it should go to anyone that that individual didnt choose.
But, to ask my question again (albeit in a different way) -- what if people cannot afford to buy the things that they need and are now provided by taxes, and they are without relatives who are able to help them? Are you willing to have them literally die in the street, starving and homeless? To just name one example, have you heard of the Irish potato famine? There was almost no government or private aid, and approximately one million people died.

Yes, charities can help the poor a little, but I don't think they can take over what the federal government has provided for the last 75 or so years. (And, yes, there are many factors involved in the millions of subsidy-dependent people.)

Honestly, reading what some posters write, I am reminded of the following quote from A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens: "Those who are badly off must go there." "Many can't go there; and many would rather die." "If they would rather die," said Scrooge, "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Old 08-21-2019, 04:19 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
When politicians say that the rich should pay more in taxes I ask pay more for what reason?

When you look at the democrats who are running for president. They all want medicare-for-all and some form of free college. These things would require more taxation. But many Americans disagree with these things and the higher taxes that will come with them. So should the rich be paying more in taxes just to provide more funding for things many Americans disagree with? Aren't the rich paying enough taxes to cover our current government services and programs?
https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...ower-tax-rate/

Quote:
Says Warren Buffett has publicly said his secretary "should not be paying a higher tax rate" than him.
— Hillary Clinton on Sunday, October 9th, 2016 in the second presidential debate
https://money.cnn.com/2013/03/04/new...xes/index.html
Quote:
"I'll be a fair amount higher, 8 or 9 points higher," Buffett said of his own tax rate in an appearance on CNBC Monday. "But the differential between me and the rest of the office, not just my secretary but the rest of the office, was greater than that. It'll be closer, but I'll probably be the lowest paying taxpayer in the office."

For years they haven’t paid their ‘fair share’.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:29 PM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Why poor should die in wars and work place? What difference does it make what set of entitled to your life bastards parasitize on your limited time in this world? Rightwingers imply that we just give our money, health and lives to the rich, just because, not because there is parasitic system in place enabling bottom to the top flow.
Wow, you are on scary dude.

Nevertheless, I will bite. 'Rightwingers' don't believe that poor people's money should 'flow to the top'. That isn't even possible. It sounds idiotic to even say it. The fact is, 45 percent of the people in this country pay zero in federal income taxes. I promise you, that's not people on the top.

Politicians tell you that you are being taken advantage of to buy your votes by promising you free stuff.

Here's the perfect example:

In Illinois, the state employees get huge pensions. Illinois and Chicago are broke as a result of it. They already increased taxes on higher earners 100% and they are trying to get an amendment to the Constitution to raise them another 70% but only on the higher earners. They need the voters to pass the amendment. How are they doing it? By promising to cut the taxes on lower earners by a tiny amount. OR, if you don't vote for that, we will raise everyone's taxes. It's classic class warfare. The wealthy pay a fortune in Illinois already.

There is no way that people are taking from poor (who don't have it) and giving it to the rich. It's the other way around.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:31 PM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Oh, god. I lose interest when the old Warren Buffett pays more than his secretary thing gets posted.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:33 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,119,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
For those who say all taxation is theft --

How would you propose that things that virtually everyone benefits from are paid for? Would you have toll roads for ALL roads, streets, and highways, for example? Or how about firefighters who specialize in putting out national forest fires? Would you propose that you divide the cost of putting out the fire among all the anticipated visitors to the park for the next 50 years or whatever -- taking inflation into consideration, of course? Or how about if you suspect that someone might be breaking into your home? Should the dispatcher take your credit card for the amount of the cost of sending a police officer to your home sending the officer out?

These are serious questions, btw -- and the list could go on and on and on.
ALL roads and other infrastructure should be privatized.

Most firefighters are volunteers.

All security should be handled by the free market.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:43 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
It remains unclear how, when I stand outside your home and wish to perform what would otherwise be a horrible violation, simply calling enough neighbors and signing some documents could transmute my violation into a permissible act.- Dan Moller's book "governing least"
in this case that horrible violation being the act of robbery visited upon a household deemed to be too rich, magically transformed into the permissible act of taxation by the signing of some documents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies