Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support ballot qualifications outside of the constitution?
Yes: states should put any kind of limitation that they want even for political motivations 8 11.11%
I only support this one and can't fathom other important reasons to do something 1 1.39%
No: This is anti-Democratic. 63 87.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 03:24 PM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The law will be struck down.
Best and most accurate post you've ever made.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:34 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
"This remains a terrible, anti-democratic idea and California should be embarrassed (sic)." -Nate Silver

California's governor signed into law that you can't appear on the California ballot for president unless you hand over the past 5 years of tax returns to the California Attorney General.

The law might be unconstitutional due to putting requirements not within the constitution.

Would Democrats be fine with other limitations? Obama wouldn't release grades and test scores - could Texas make that a requirement to be on the ballot? We want an intellectually sound leader after all, don't we?
That law will never stand a constitutional challenge.

And if the law does stand, middle America / flyover country can start thinking about seceding from this so called 'union of states' because there's no reason to remain in it, at this stage. I don't want California and a few other states running things, their way.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:35 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
This might be heresy, but I would like everyone running for any public position above school board member to have ALL of his or her records available, from elementary school report cards to health records to voting records to tax returns.

No one is perfect -- and I would hate to have anyone see MY records (but I am never going to run for any kind of office) -- but people can decide for themselves which is worse -- to have not paid any taxes on a million dollars in income or to have had a C- average in college or to be currently taking antidepressant medication. (These are all just examples, of course.)

But -- oh, man! -- talk about the mud-slinging that would result, then!

Old 07-31-2019, 03:41 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
"This remains a terrible, anti-democratic idea and California should be embarrassed (sic)." -Nate Silver

California's governor signed into law that you can't appear on the California ballot for president unless you hand over the past 5 years of tax returns to the California Attorney General.

The law might be unconstitutional due to putting requirements not within the constitution.

Would Democrats be fine with other limitations? Obama wouldn't release grades and test scores - could Texas make that a requirement to be on the ballot? We want an intellectually sound leader after all, don't we?
Actually, if I were Trump I would ignore CA. There is no way he can win CA so just ignore it and stay off the ballot.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:43 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:

By all means. Has Trump released his grades and test scores? Didn't he go to great lengths for them to not be revealed? California has the right to make their own laws and it seems like Republicans love state's rights as long as it's something they agree with like abortion or guns.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:03 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
By all means. Has Trump released his grades and test scores? Didn't he go to great lengths for them to not be revealed? California has the right to make their own laws and it seems like Republicans love state's rights as long as it's something they agree with like abortion or guns.
Actually California doesn't have the right to make laws that supersede federal law.

I know they think they can get away with it, but many experts are saying this law would be struck down if challenged.

Your point on Trump is irrelevant. Obama refused to release his grades and not a single red state was petty enough to try and keep him off the ballot over it.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:05 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Liberals always pass laws that bite them in the butt later. They have the mind and patience of my 9 year old.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:07 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
Unseal Obama's college application forms and grades!

So SICK of the crap coming from California!!!
Well, CA & the country are so sick of the crap coming out of the WH. We're even.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:08 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Yes--that would be a good law. Grades, test scores and bribes should all be exposed. I vote yes--release everything.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:08 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Actually California doesn't have the right to make laws that supersede federal law.

I know they think they can get away with it, but many experts are saying this law would be struck down if challenged.

Your point on Trump is irrelevant. Obama refused to release his grades and not a single red state was petty enough to try and keep him off the ballot over it.
It's not irrelevant. For forty years, presidential candidates have released their tax records. Name a presidential candidate that has released their grades. We haven't even talked about the whole birth certificate thing.

Trump told Michael Cohen to make sure his grades didn't see the light of day, Cohen has been very public about that, so complaining about Obama is meaningless. If 23 states can pass a popular vote bill, why can't California do this?

36 Legislative Chambers in 23 States Have Now Passed National Popular Vote Bill
https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/...ular-vote-bill

The electoral college allows states to cast their votes. If California wants to add a criteria that allows for transparency and could expose if a candidate is beholden to foreign or domestic enemies, one would think a patriotic party like the GOP would support it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies