Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2019, 02:46 PM

754 posts, read 485,763 times

Advertisements

We need to remember Reagan was born in 1911, and thus was already alive when the Titanic sank and before the outbreak of WWI.

I'm not in the slightest excusing any of this repulsive language, but we need to understand that growing up in the 1910s and 1920s unfortunately these terms were extremely common during his childhood.

Reagan to his credit didn't overtly govern as a racist president, in the same way as Woodrow Wilson did introducing resegregation into the workplace or Trump looking to ban all muslims coming into America.

Reagan remember was the president who gave amnesty to illegals, something even many democrats today would balk at. So his presidency was a mixed, but he didn't govern directly as an overt racist.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:57 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Hahaha! I read that post and said “MP will get a kick out of this”.
I'm predictable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Ok your right, I thought it changed in 73 but the change happened in 71. The election of 72 was the first one 18 yr olds could vote in. The poster I was replying to could be as young as 65 but is likely older. No matter what that poster being an older person knows that the kind of politically incorrect talk we are speaking of was common in the 70s. The only people who respect political correctness even today are mostly those under 40. In the 60s, 70,s and 80s no one was politically correct, in fact no one had even ever heard of that term. If something like PC was presented to people then they would think it resembled Orwell’s thought police (which it does). Forty years ago when we elected Reagan we actually still liked America, capitalism and we even respected the white old men who built the country.
I'm a boomer. Posters here love to state how racism is going to disappear once we boomers are gone. Guess what? The boomers grew up during a time when it all changed. We saw on our televisions how disgusting it was when cops would sic dogs on black people or they were beaten bloody. We learned what language we should and shouldn't use, and how we shouldn't judge and that people are people regardless of color. I haven't personally heard a white person use the N word or any other disparaging name about black people since the 1960's. That's not a matter of being PC to us - it's just what we learned was right. And despite what some posters think - when we die you lose the generation that saw how bad it was for black folks. We didn't live it - but it was right there on our tv's because back then the news didn't filter anything. We ate dinner right after watching young men with their bodies half blown off being carted off the fields of Viet Nam and right after the cops beat black people just for sitting in at a protest. These visuals often led to dinner conversations about morality that I doubt are taking place today.

It's not a matter of being PC - it's what we learned was right.

The PC nonsense we disavow has to do with b.s. concepts like 'cisgender', 'white privilege', 'mansplaining', 'manspreading', 'verbal violence' 'microaggressions', etc. These are made up words to try and control - and thinking people who aren't on the fringe aren't buying it.

For the above reasons, I AM disappointed Reagan made that comment, even though I think most politicians are scum. I thought better of him, even though he didn't get my vote.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:07 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
Guess it shouldn't be surprising, but I didn't expect it from him.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-nixon/595102/
I'm a middle-aged white man and I was even born until 1972!

Old 07-31-2019, 03:09 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
This article goes into depth and detail surrounding the entire incident. Though Nixon and Reagan did both have racist tendencies, the incident taken as a whole impresses me as being more an imperialistic and xenophobic reaction than racist, as referenced in America.

The article is actually really interesting--a window into that era. I know the link was already posted, but I don't know how many read the entire article.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:09 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:

1971, times were a lot different. And liberals, don't even think about trying to remove Reagan's name from the national airport.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:13 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm predictable!

I'm a boomer. Posters here love to state how racism is going to disappear once we boomers are gone. Guess what? The boomers grew up during a time when it all changed. We saw on our televisions how disgusting it was when cops would sic dogs on black people or they were beaten bloody. We learned what language we should and shouldn't use, and how we shouldn't judge and that people are people regardless of color. I haven't personally heard a white person use the N word or any other disparaging name about black people since the 1960's. That's not a matter of being PC to us - it's just what we learned was right. And despite what some posters think - when we die you lose the generation that saw how bad it was for black folks. We didn't live it - but it was right there on our tv's because back then the news didn't filter anything. We ate dinner right after watching young men with their bodies half blown off being carted off the fields of Viet Nam and right after the cops beat black people just for sitting in at a protest. These visuals often led to dinner conversations about morality that I doubt are taking place today.

It's not a matter of being PC - it's what we learned was right.

The PC nonsense we disavow has to do with b.s. concepts like 'cisgender', 'white privilege', 'mansplaining', 'manspreading', 'verbal violence' 'microaggressions', etc. These are made up words to try and control - and thinking people who aren't on the fringe aren't buying it.

For the above reasons, I AM disappointed Reagan made that comment, even though I think most politicians are scum. I thought better of him, even though he didn't get my vote.
VERY well said! Wish I could rep you again!

Old 07-31-2019, 03:25 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:

A conservative hero? hahahahaha He was a closet democrat who grew government. Spending increased, debt increased and taxes increased by the time he left office. Just like ALL the Presidents after him, Reagan was a lying con artist.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:30 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
What do Nixon & Reagan have in common?

1968 - 49 States won

1972 - 49 States won

No Democrat in modern times has come even close to this.

(note to moderators, listed as free to reuse)

Old 07-31-2019, 03:39 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
If you think whites are racist, you've never been close enough to successful African American men to know what they think of white people - and white women in particular. Their venomous hate, fanned by misguided Liberals, makes them want to literally kill every single one of us in the most horrific way - including all the textbook white liberals, who think blacks in the past were discriminated against, and that warrants continued reverse discrimination today (against people who never had a hand in, or benefitted from, the discrimination of the past).

If Liberals could see both sides of every issue, they wouldn't be Liberals.
Well, Herman Cain sexually harassed a few white women back in the day but he's a Republican so he gets a pass. Was he one of the few successful African American men you've had the unfortunate pleasure of being close to?

Old 07-31-2019, 04:02 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
I don't care what year it was. It was a racist remark; and racism is sinful, so it doesn't matter what era it belongs to. I have personally said and thought far worse, as I was quite a racist at times before I became a Christian. Likening black people to monkeys is racism. No one should be fooled when someone tries to say otherwise by pointing out that people compared George W. Bush's appears to that of a monkey. It's racist and denigrates the humanity of blacks, who like all other humans are created in God's image. This sort of racism is fueled by Darwin's totally impossible "goo to you by way of the zoo" theory of evolution and abiogenesis: which, for anyone desiring to look at the evidence in opposition, is easily discredited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies