Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 09:01 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,262,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
HA! I found the classic hilarious “commercial” of Ronnie Lott using “boy howdy”. Still hilarious.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yxWNdDLy9fE
Can't rep you again, good stuff!

Old 07-31-2019, 09:01 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,528,391 times
Quote:
I repped TKO for at least acknowledging information that conflicted with his/her opinion. All too often around here we see people making great points in an argument only to be completely ignored. I give props to people who stay in the game and are willing to admit when new information changes their perception.

Ps: I’ve loved “boy howdy” ever since my favorite 49er Ronnie Lott used it.
Not to worry, I repped TKO, as well.

I've used boy howdy on c-d and in real life, but I'm not even sure where I got it from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Cheers to a good old southern phrase! And the fact that Creem magazine used it when I was a wanna be rocker as a kid.

I suspect that outside the confines of this divisive environment we'd probably have more in common than not.
Is it southern? I have no idea where I picked it up.

Outside the battleground known as c-d, I'd buy most folks a drink. Some I'd buy dinner. And the ones I don't respond to here I would ignore in real life. In most cases, as you said, we all have more in common than not.

AKA: That was a great point, TKO! Thanks for making it!!

Old 07-31-2019, 09:02 AM

77,977 posts, read 60,166,723 times
Quote:
Not a bad effort at making your point.
Hey, I'm only pointing out how skeevy our profit driven click-bait media is.

I don't know how old you are but I'm also old enough to remember when these same news sources pounded us 24-7 with "young black men committing crimes" and using terms like "super predators" etc. So those smugly sitting back thinking this is a good thing and trying to make every incident like this into a Trump supporter etc....you may be the next target.

It wasn't right then, it isn't right now and any way you cut it the end consumer is someone that gets off on such news stories for reinforcing their skewed views by serving up individuals being bad so often that it makes it appear common and everyday.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:04 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,478,506 times
Quote:
Can't rep you again, good stuff!
“Masculine itching” has never been funnier!

Old 07-31-2019, 09:07 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,478,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Not to worry, I repped TKO, as well.

I've used boy howdy on c-d and in real life, but I'm not even sure where I got it from.

Is it southern? I have no idea where I picked it up.

Outside the battleground known as c-d, I'd buy most folks a drink. Some I'd buy dinner. And the ones I don't respond to here I would ignore in real life. In most cases, as you said, we all have more in common than not.

AKA: That was a great point, TKO! Thanks for making it!!
This is why I sometimes get irked when over-zealous mods delete a thread for going “off-topic”. Those off-topic conversational bits are often based on a funny thing that for a moment gets everyone laughing in unison. We need more of that here, not less.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:12 AM
TKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hey, I'm only pointing out how skeevy our profit driven click-bait media is.

I don't know how old you are but I'm also old enough to remember when these same news sources pounded us 24-7 with "young black men committing crimes" and using terms like "super predators" etc. So those smugly sitting back thinking this is a good thing and trying to make every incident like this into a Trump supporter etc....you may be the next target.

It wasn't right then, it isn't right now and any way you cut it the end consumer is someone that gets off on such news stories for reinforcing their skewed views by serving up individuals being bad so often that it makes it appear common and everyday.
I'll plead ignorance because I long ago abandoned CNN as anything more than a single click in the morning to make sure the world didn't blow up overnight. They can still be relied upon for that. I miss my mornings with Robin Meade and headline news when it used to be news...and Robin....mmm.

I will reiterate my point that I think white on black racism is much more destructive and pernicious than black on white racism. I base this not on exposure to skewed news reports but discussions with real life people.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
This is why I sometimes get irked when over-zealous mods delete a thread for going “off-topic”. Those off-topic conversational bits are often based on a funny thing that for a moment gets everyone laughing in unison. We need more of that here, not less.
True. In addition to that, I find it highly disrespectful to the people who keep the place going by participating, because they've taken the time to post and then suddenly the mod gets the last word and closes the thread - or the mod just deletes the thread completely.

It would be like an art teacher ripping up every pupils artwork because a few colored outside the lines.

And yes, I'm calling us all children...lol.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I'll plead ignorance because I long ago abandoned CNN as anything more than a single click in the morning to make sure the world didn't blow up overnight. They can still be relied upon for that. I miss my mornings with Robin Meade and headline news when it used to be news...and Robin....mmm.

I will reiterate my point that I think white on black racism is much more destructive and pernicious than black on white racism. I base this not on exposure to skewed news reports but discussions with real life people.
White on black crime in Chicago is very rare. Black on white crime in Chicago is getting worse all the time.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:19 AM
TKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
White on black crime in Chicago is very rare. Black on white crime in Chicago is getting worse all the time.
I suspect that crime is based more on money than ideology. Having large concentrations of poor people with little hope for improvement in their lives is bad for everyone.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:22 AM

77,977 posts, read 60,166,723 times
Quote:

1) CNN used to be my news for 20-30 years...I dumped them for Reuters this year due to low quality and constant race baiting.

2) I'm totally in agreement as to whom still bears the largest crap from racism in this country. I'd just hope for fair reporting and not one trying to profit by pushing division.

3) I see an extremely sinister downside to focusing solely on white racism towards blacks and turning a blind eye to intra-minority racism. Curious if your discussions with real life people are picking up on any of this racism coming from sectors that aren't "old white dudes".

P.S. I really started noticing this phenomenon when I would see articles like who is killing trans men (mostly black) and I'm aware that the vast majority are killed by other black men but they didn't want to say it. Another was a magazine article (I think people) talking about underemployment\low wages and the impact on the black community where they focused on uneducated black people still struggling to find jobs but hmmmm....absolutely no mention as to whom was working those jobs for low wages. *wink wink* We all know who, but the magazine didn't want to go there. Just some examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies