U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2019, 01:33 PM
205 205 started this thread
 
296 posts, read 298,514 times
Reputation: 443

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
This is what I don't get. Conservatives believe in an unfettered capitalism in which the market and consumers are the only forces that should shape what a company can and cannot do. So along comes Facebook and they do just that and now the conservatives scream about it. If you want to have a completely open social media platform go build your own. Oh wait, you have one now. Gab.

I wasn't suggesting that the government needs to pass new legislation to deal with Google, Facebook, Youtube, etc. Libertarians and conservatives don't support that so I'm not sure why that gets insinuated so much. Companies should be able to do business as they please so long as they don't break laws doing so. Having said that, I do think it can argued that Google for example is a monopoly who acts as a publisher instead of the self proclaimed platform they claim to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2019, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Long Island
33,384 posts, read 14,069,614 times
Reputation: 7151
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
I wasn't suggesting that the government needs to pass new legislation to deal with Google, Facebook, Youtube, etc. Libertarians and conservatives don't support that so I'm not sure why that gets insinuated so much. Companies should be able to do business as they please so long as they don't break laws doing so. Having said that, I do think it can argued that Google for example is a monopoly who acts as a publisher instead of the self proclaimed platform they claim to be.
Most of the newspapers have standards, when they make a mistake they will print a retraction. These statements by Trump indicating the are the enemy of the state is pure nonsense and very damaging coming from a president. We rely heavily on our news sources, a free press is critical to our democracy. Social media is quite a different animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 02:06 PM
 
23,509 posts, read 12,430,397 times
Reputation: 7464
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
Yes, which is the point of my OP. The media goes on and on and on about all Trump's lies and lecturing Trump supporters about being factual and honest yet they take many of Trump's comments completely out of context and in some cases flat out lie. Trump says and tweets some dumb things and he acts unpresidential way too often but he at least gets called out for it. The media can lie their ass off in order to gaslight the public and they get away with it. No one says a word. Not only do they not get called out by their colleagues when they're being blatantly dishonest, many of their blatant lies have been used to further promote their false narrative.
That is not true.

Many do not take Trump's quotes out of context. We see them on Twitter...we have videos.

What happens is -- Trump says something stupid, there is outrage -- and then there is a barrage of defenders telling us - 'that's not what he meant.....this is what he meant...." and then they spin it.

If you watch news reporting..not the pundit shows...they don't discuss they merely report.

And today's world we have access to more information to source the quote, etc. than we ever had...and still somehow some folks think we aren't able to find the truth.

You can't even give an example of what you are talking about....that's how obscure your accusations are.

When presenting an argument it is normal to cite specific examples and provide links.

Making a grand statement that the media always takes what Trump says out of context is FAKE news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Haiku
4,308 posts, read 2,636,120 times
Reputation: 6391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Most of the newspapers have standards, when they make a mistake they will print a retraction. These statements by Trump indicating the are the enemy of the state is pure nonsense and very damaging coming from a president. We rely heavily on our news sources, a free press is critical to our democracy. Social media is quite a different animal.
I agree completely except about social media - a lot of people get their news from social media so it is not really different. And this is one reason it has become a problem - despite what some people say, the MSM does have standards for journalism but there are none for social media. Granted, some of the news items that show up on social media are just reprints of MSM, but there are a lot that come from who knows where and people who use social media often don't bother to check for reputable sources and get duped by all sorts of conspiracy BS. That is the real problem I see with social media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 02:31 PM
 
Location: DFW
649 posts, read 179,789 times
Reputation: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Chart showing bias by media source. Not surprised Fox is pulling up the rear

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ho...art-2018-02-28
Hmmm....one media outlet giving it's opinion on all it's competitor media outlets.

By that logic, then I guess I should believe Jerry Jones when he says the Cowboys will go to the Superbowl this year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Boulder, CO
474 posts, read 152,053 times
Reputation: 903
For decades the left controlled the news - what was reported, how it was reported. They shaped opinion.


Occasionally their bias leaked through - Dan Rather, Brian Williamson, …


Now we have a great president who bypasses them completely, going directly to millions of people with his tweets. They have lost the opportunity to filter his statements to their liking, their leftist bent. All they can do now is RE-act with tired canards of 'RAYCISS!', 'misogynist', 'islamaphobe', 'homophobe', 'transphobe', and all the rest of their dog-eared, worn-out cards.


I find the fact that it drives the left mad with impotent rage very much to my liking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 05:06 PM
 
23,509 posts, read 12,430,397 times
Reputation: 7464
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
For decades the left controlled the news - what was reported, how it was reported. They shaped opinion.


Occasionally their bias leaked through - Dan Rather, Brian Williamson, …


Now we have a great president who bypasses them completely, going directly to millions of people with his tweets. They have lost the opportunity to filter his statements to their liking, their leftist bent. All they can do now is RE-act with tired canards of 'RAYCISS!', 'misogynist', 'islamaphobe', 'homophobe', 'transphobe', and all the rest of their dog-eared, worn-out cards.


I find the fact that it drives the left mad with impotent rage very much to my liking.
You realize you and I are saying the exact same thing.

In today's world the media isn't twisting the President's words. We hear and see them as he says them...that's why there is so much fuss -- LOL.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Long Island
33,384 posts, read 14,069,614 times
Reputation: 7151
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I agree completely except about social media - a lot of people get their news from social media so it is not really different. And this is one reason it has become a problem - despite what some people say, the MSM does have standards for journalism but there are none for social media. Granted, some of the news items that show up on social media are just reprints of MSM, but there are a lot that come from who knows where and people who use social media often don't bother to check for reputable sources and get duped by all sorts of conspiracy BS. That is the real problem I see with social media.
It is unfortunate that most people get their information from social media and pass it off as factual, how many times have posters used YouTube or a blogger as a credible source on this website. There are no standards on Facebook and most gravitate to what they want to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 06:41 PM
 
45,967 posts, read 18,192,448 times
Reputation: 19196
WaPo said today that if you eat hamburgers, it's a sign you are a Russian agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Long Island
33,384 posts, read 14,069,614 times
Reputation: 7151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
For decades the left controlled the news - what was reported, how it was reported. They shaped opinion.


Occasionally their bias leaked through - Dan Rather, Brian Williamson, …


Now we have a great president who bypasses them completely, going directly to millions of people with his tweets. They have lost the opportunity to filter his statements to their liking, their leftist bent. All they can do now is RE-act with tired canards of 'RAYCISS!', 'misogynist', 'islamaphobe', 'homophobe', 'transphobe', and all the rest of their dog-eared, worn-out cards.


I find the fact that it drives the left mad with impotent rage very much to my liking.
Williams and Rather weren’t “leaked through” their mistakes were widely publicized with apologies by their companies, did you hear an apology by Hannity over Seth Rich or the Bundys. How about the Miami Herald’s investigative reporting on Epstein or the Boston Globe on priests.

This is just Trump trying to discredit our media that have served ousted for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top