U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 06:21 AM

16,054 posts, read 4,242,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I don't understand the need for half a dozen blades on a razor anyway.

I buy 'bic metal' razors. Just a simple, single-blade disposable razor that doesn't clog up. I don't know if they even sell them in stores anymore- they're on Amazon for less than a dollar each.

But I'm a lazy slob and only shave every other day. Some people may need the Mach 20:
Every other day? I'm lucky if it's twice a week.

I will vouch for 2 or 3 blade cheapies tho.....IMHO, less chance of cutting yourself. But it's all about the warm water and shaving cream. I think those gels really do a nice job!

Speaking of economics, my cans of shaving cream actually rust out before I can fully use them...I'm talking 5+ years.

Not exactly a profit center for Gillette.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:21 AM

952 posts, read 151,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
There are many, many companies that have jumped on the Leftist, "Woke", Virtue Signaling band wagon. It is disgusting to the point it is difficult to avoid some of them as they are so pervasive now.

It is a very disturbing trend, as more and more large corporations are now Progressive, and Democrat run. They also donate, and promote politicians. For example, Comcast's backing and financing of Obama, and now Biden.
So all corporations should be regressive, and Republican run donating to Trump?

Old 08-01-2019, 06:28 AM

18,677 posts, read 9,155,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
So all corporations should be regressive, and Republican run donating to Trump?
No. My preference would be that they be politically neutral, at least with their public persona, advertising, and corporate culture. Corps today are havens for Political Correctness to the extreme. I know I've worked in very large corps at a high level for thirty years, and have seen the change personally, from the inside.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:41 AM

19,586 posts, read 17,630,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Every other day? I'm lucky if it's twice a week.

I will vouch for 2 or 3 blade cheapies tho.....IMHO, less chance of cutting yourself. But it's all about the warm water and shaving cream. I think those gels really do a nice job!

Speaking of economics, my cans of shaving cream actually rust out before I can fully use them...I'm talking 5+ years.

Not exactly a profit center for Gillette.
>>> I gave up on Gillette shaving cream some time ago for that very reason. The cans would rust and lose pressure long before they were empty. I shave every day, well, not on my day off but every day otherwise. I don't have that problem with Schick.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:35 AM

35,499 posts, read 19,492,919 times
Lightbulb Gillette is hemorrhaging money. Go Woke Go Broke!

My bet is they'll bounce back.

Myself, I've been using Schick razors for decades because they just work better for me.

But I do like Gillette's Foamy shaving cream.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:52 AM

941 posts, read 350,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Nothing more except the insinuation that it's customers need to be told that in a razor ad.

Marketing 101: Don't insult your customers. Even if it means sacrificing empty virtue-signaling.

Agreed! I'm all for equality today. With that said, I challenge Gillette to run a similar ad taking a swipe at things women could improve upon. Example "So gals, are you guilty of ribbing your boyfriend about an event that happened 5 years ago, AGAIN? Let it go, girl....let it go." Or "ladies, do you really need to spend that $80 on another pair of shoes when your closet is filled full already?"

Just imagine the repeated cries of misogyny!!!!!! How about Gillette sales? Do you think they'll go up? Answer: If Gillette ran an ad like that we'd all be thinking WWIII is about ready to break out LOL.

So it's ok for men to idly sit back and absorb the jab at our manhood and simply forget it the ad? Hmmm. Go ahead Gillette! Run a similar ad against women and let's see what happens.

My popcorn is ready!!!!

Old 08-01-2019, 09:55 AM

18,677 posts, read 9,155,529 times
Gillette and other "WOKE" companies that exploit Virtue Signaling and Identity Politics FOR PROFIT can go Eff themselves.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:06 AM

12,226 posts, read 6,788,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Every male knows the importance of a reliable shaving blade in daily life. There is little to no joy in grinding your way through the shaving process only to end up with cuts and nicks on your face and neck. Gillette Mach 3 was the king of shaving blades for so long. In the process it raised the bar for other companies to produce their best products to stay competitive. Now, Gillette has amazingly reduced quality standards across their product line, almost intentional for some unknown reason. They will cite reasons such as using more recyclable materials or increased costs of production. Just it seems so odd and there has to be something behind it all. Are they planning to get out of the shaving business altogether?. Is shaving to become obsolete in an age of tech gurus with some form of facial beard or neck beard, dictating how future grooming or lack of thereof will look like. The real time enactment of The Game Of Thrones in every day life. The return of medieval days , bearded tech lords in the castle and peasants outside the walls.

For the record, Mach 3 now in the opinion of this daily shaver is incredibly poor in most every way. Bic Flex 3 and 4 are just miles ahead of the Mach 3, once the gold standard of shaving.
Good theories, lol, I think they just want to cheap out and believe they can convince us that we are crazy or this just the way it is now and we should accept it or we are bigots or something. There are other companies such as Clairol (owned by Coty) doing similar things and ruining their long standing products. The company responds with snark or condescension to complaints and concentrates on young demographic who doesn't know better or easily led people to sell their substandard crap. This is a period of regression for products of all types. It is also a test for us as consumers. Enormous companies are acquiring other big companies and doing what they want. It isn't a big deal to them if they lose a few products, they are behemoths.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:09 AM

12,906 posts, read 10,086,291 times
Gillette has been struggling for years.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:18 AM

23,722 posts, read 12,521,368 times
Seems there are a number of reasons for declining sales for blades....and the change in marketing seems to be in reaction to losing sales -- so they are looking for bigger markets.

My husband switched to Dollar Shave years ago. My sons rarely shave (31, 29 & 22).

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/30/proc...ts-future.html
https://fortune.com/2019/01/23/gillette-ad/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or