U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 10:57 AM

9,808 posts, read 2,408,279 times

Advertisements

Gillette is hemorrhaging money ...

Perhaps, but isn't this an issue for the parent company? 'Gillette' as a company does not (for all practical purposes) exist ... for twenty years already. It is essentially just a brand, one of many such as Old Spice, Crest, Tide, Pampers etc.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:03 AM
Status: "Make sure you include me in your manifesto" (set 15 days ago)

8,317 posts, read 3,254,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
Not altogether. For some consumers, there was a political dimension to their decision.

Inaccurate. You would have been better served to have said the following, had you actually been thinking about what you were posting:

You see...there are men who had used Gillette products all their adult lives until that particular ad. They viewed said ad, for whatever reason, as saying something along the lines of:

Now, whether this interpretation of the ad was warranted I'll leave to other to decide. But many of those who did elect to find alternatives to Gillette, when they had no intention of doing so before, did so precisely because of that ad.

I'll have to add that it's surprising that you were utterly ignorant of that development, what with you being the kind of guy who pretends to know pretty much everything about everything under the sun and all.
That's what some people aren't getting. The points about the high prices and changing market are valid ones, but those ads took some customers who were already drifting towards the door and shoved them right out of it. They were already on shaky ground and those ads made things worse not better.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:05 AM

9,808 posts, read 2,408,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post

For my own part, I got tired of paying premium Gillette prices for substandard products. So I buy razors from Dollar Shave Club. (I like their advertising, myself.) I can't even remember seeing Gillette's "toxic masculinity" ad, but I know a lot of men decided, after seeing that ad, that for them, Gillette had outlived its usefulness. Too many alternatives out there for Gillette to attempt to curry favor with <5% of their market by calling >85% of their market "toxic."
I collect (or rather 'collected' ) old razors. I use double-edged blades once again for about ten years now and get great shaves.

$50.00 for an old Gillette adjustable razor would be a bargain (compared to prices for the current models and replacement cartridges today), they can usually be had for much less on Ebay.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:05 AM

936 posts, read 349,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
You really think men stopped buying razors over a commercial?

You better believe it!

Old 07-31-2019, 11:06 AM

12,213 posts, read 6,784,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Could be that I along with many under 40 have beards. Longer facial hair is in and i haven't used a razor for anything in almost a year. I edge with an electric trimmer and that's all I require.

Between my friends and I we have saves thousands on razors since growing out beards 2-3 years ago. Multiply that by 100k+ people and that is a lot of loss revenue. Also how many people really need all the fancy 5 blade razors that cost 7-15 bucks a pop?
Women still have to shave their legs, most of us anyway. Women's razors are crap. The legendary Sensor Excel is now the equivalent of a disposable piece of junk. Two sharp blades - they had to outsource it and ruin it, it was too good.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:17 AM

11,137 posts, read 6,200,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
To be honest after the commercial I switched to Harry's. I actually like theirs better. But I also have to be honest. I had completely forgot about the commercial. Thanks for the reminder lo!!
Yep. We here in this highly politicized forum argue about the minutia of politics every day because we are addicted to it. But the average guy on the street is standing in front of the array of razors and assessing them on quality and price, and not some ad they may or may not have even seen. Or remembered months later even if they did initially see it.

Every day people don't live in perpetual outrage like we find in this forum. Kudos to you, retiredcop, for admitting this.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:20 AM

11,137 posts, read 6,200,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Women still have to shave their legs, most of us anyway. Women's razors are crap. The legendary Sensor Excel is now the equivalent of a disposable piece of junk. Two sharp blades - they had to outsource it and ruin it, it was too good.
I agree about women's razors. They are overpriced pieces of crap, even the supposed reusable ones. And they are constantly changing. I currently have two that I can no longer find refills for. So now I am faced with choosing yet another one that I probably won't be able to find refills for in another year or so, or use the equally crappy disposables.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:22 AM

1,081 posts, read 332,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
You really think men stopped buying razors over a commercial?

Price always wins and these new subscription companies are seriously undercutting the old biz model.

Itís like blaming a blockbuster commercial for their demise.
Absolutely they did, I'm one of them. I used to buy nothing but Gillette Fusion razors, still would if they hadn't gone SJW. Since they did, I will never buy another Gillette product again.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:24 AM

936 posts, read 349,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
But the average guy on the street is standing in front of the array of razors and assessing them on quality and price, and not some ad they may or may not have even seen. Or remembered months later even if they did initially see it.

I think you underestimate the effect of social media. When that Gillette ad came out, it was splashed all over You Tube. Trust me there was a big uproar. People talk. I remember sitting at my desk and receiving a text from my buddy "hey you see that latest Gillette ad?"

That ad was and still is a big deal. Yes people vote with their dollars. Not only do people remember this stance, for many of us, it's now burned into our memories. Doubt I'm the only one who thinks this way.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:24 AM

3,389 posts, read 1,755,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Yep. We here in this highly politicized forum argue about the minutia of politics every day because we are addicted to it. But the average guy on the street is standing in front of the array of razors and assessing them on quality and price, and not some ad they may or may not have even seen. Or remembered months later even if they did initially see it.

Every day people don't live in perpetual outrage like we find in this forum. Kudos to you, retiredcop, for admitting this.
That's true. Yes right after the commercial I was thinking about it. But months later I had totally forgotten about it. I will give you a company that I have not forgotten about. Nike. The reason is they kept it going with their campaign. I think Gillete got some blow back and then moved on from it. Life happens and most of us are going to go about our lives over time without being outraged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or