U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 11:33 AM

11,137 posts, read 6,200,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I think you underestimate the effect of social media. When that Gillette ad came out, it was splashed all over You Tube. Trust me there was a big uproar. People talk. I remember sitting at my desk and receiving a text from my buddy "hey you see that latest Gillette ad?"

That ad was and still is a big deal. Yes people vote with their dollars. Not only do people remember this stance, for many of us, it's now burned into our memories. Doubt I'm the only one who thinks this way.
Once again, the people who populate this forum are political junkies. I'm not surprised you remembered the commercial. Millions more probably don't. And millions more approved of the inclusiveness of the commercials and may have switched to Gillette because of it.

This forum is not a microcosm of the country on the whole. Most people don't live in the kind of hyperawareness and perpetual outrage we find here on a daily basis.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:35 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,554,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
You really think men stopped buying razors over a commercial?

Price always wins and these new subscription companies are seriously undercutting the old biz model.

Itís like blaming a blockbuster commercial for their demise.
Most men I know have wives who buy their razors. I wondered if Gillette was trying to pander to the ladies.

It didn't work.

As a woman the ad campaign was offensive to me. Ok. Maybe not offensive, I'm not that tender. But it sure was an eye-roller.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:36 AM

2,330 posts, read 675,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post

That's what some people aren't getting. The points about the high prices and changing market are valid ones, but those ads took some customers who were already drifting towards the door and shoved them right out of it. They were already on shaky ground and those ads made things worse not better.
Absolutely right. With the presence of lower-priced alternatives, an ad like this one provided just the nudge a lot of consumers needed to overcome their inertia.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:42 AM

16,011 posts, read 4,235,579 times
Quote:
They claim it is only due to currency fluctuations and increased competition, but we all know better right?

Besides, maybe the competition wouldn't be doing so well if Gillette wasn't trying so hard to alienate it's prime user demographic.
Like.....one should care if a razor company doesn't do well?

I know this - I hear and see vast numbers of shaving commercials......and they are all for the competition....internet setups like Harrys, etc.

Like, who cares? I suppose you want to "claim victory" because you think some perceived slight is responsible......

In that case, it must be Trumps hating on Apple and Google and FB and Amazon that is making them do so well this quarter! You can't have one without the other........that is, we could picks thousands of companies and you could fool yourself as to the reason why they are doing well...or not.

"Cnn.com is the #1 web news outlet (after google news) and NYT and WaPo aren't far behind".....

According to your theories, this is because Trump hates them all???

Oil went WAY up today......is that because of something Trump Cultists think?

You have to stop allowing all these crazy theories room in your head. Despite all the anecdotes you see and hear here and elsewhere, there is no American let-up of purchase of Chinese goods. None. In fact, there is an increase. But if we listened to crazy theories, we'd say millions of Americans must "care enough" that they are avoiding Chinese goods because the Dear Leader doesn't like them!

Peace with North Korea in our time...because, after all, Ballistic Missile Tests don't count!

"The goods trade deficit with China, a focus of President Donald Trump’s “America First” agenda, increased 12.2% to $30.2 billion, with imports rising 12.8%"

So, carefully, explain this to us? That's a MASSIVE increase from China recently.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:49 AM

2,836 posts, read 4,541,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Plus the dilution of the market to shaving clubs which sell much cheaper blades. Gillette blades are VERY expensive.

Other razor companies are losing money too, so they are busy buying competitors like Harry's.
Gillette is very expensive. I told my husband that it is expensive for him to keep a beard off his face and that we should start keeping all receipts so we can see how much we spend a year on that, his uniforms, and all that other stuff he needs for his job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Amazon is selling alternatives to Gillette blades which are just as good and less than 1/2 the price. The comments on those blades are quite telling. Lots of people switching because of Gillette's going compete SJW.
I will have to check into that. My son is shaving too so it's about to get really crazy in my house.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:50 AM
Status: "Make sure you include me in your manifesto" (set 15 days ago)

8,319 posts, read 3,254,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

I know this - I hear and see vast numbers of shaving commercials......and they are all for the competition....internet setups like Harrys, etc.

Like, who cares? I suppose you want to "claim victory" because you think some perceived slight is responsible......

In that case, it must be Trumps hating on Apple and Google and FB and Amazon that is making them do so well this quarter! You can't have one without the other........that is, we could picks thousands of companies and you could fool yourself as to the reason why they are doing well...or not.

"Cnn.com is the #1 web news outlet (after google news) and NYT and WaPo aren't far behind".....

According to your theories, this is because Trump hates them all???

Oil went WAY up today......is that because of something Trump Cultists think?

You have to stop allowing all these crazy theories room in your head. Despite all the anecdotes you see and hear here and elsewhere, there is no American let-up of purchase of Chinese goods. None. In fact, there is an increase. But if we listened to crazy theories, we'd say millions of Americans must "care enough" that they are avoiding Chinese goods because the Dear Leader doesn't like them!

Peace with North Korea in our time...because, after all, Ballistic Missile Tests don't count!

"The goods trade deficit with China, a focus of President Donald Trumpís ďAmerica FirstĒ agenda, increased 12.2% to $30.2 billion, with imports rising 12.8%"

So, carefully, explain this to us? That's a MASSIVE increase from China recently.
It'll be OK friend.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:04 PM

2,330 posts, read 675,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

In that case, it must be Trumps hating on Apple and Google and FB and Amazon...

(Remainder of inane rant mercifully redacted in the interest of brevity)

This wasn't about Trump. It was about Gillette and their ham-fisted approach to their customer base, which they saw shrink because they decided to embark on an ill-advised ad campaign.

You might want to try sticking to the topic at hand. Not everything is about Trump.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:11 PM

52,338 posts, read 42,108,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Gillette is very expensive. I told my husband that it is expensive for him to keep a beard off his face and that we should start keeping all receipts so we can see how much we spend a year on that, his uniforms, and all that other stuff he needs for his job.

I will have to check into that. My son is shaving too so it's about to get really crazy in my house.
I've used an electric trimmer for years, haven't used a razor in a long time. Just a thought if you're looking to save some money.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:14 PM

7,445 posts, read 4,318,864 times
If you think any sort of boycott resulting from a rarely seen ad resulted in an $8 billion write down you're kidding yourself. They list several reasons in the article.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:15 PM

7,179 posts, read 9,978,232 times
Quote:
They claim it is only due to currency fluctuations and increased competition, but we all know better right?

Besides, maybe the competition wouldn't be doing so well if Gillette wasn't trying so hard to alienate it's prime user demographic.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...ise/ar-AAF498M
I cannot speak for others but I stopped buying Gillette products several years ago when I finally got fed up with their high prices. Some people here mentioned other factors like an ill-advised commercial and some people growing facial hair instead of shaving, both of which maybe factors for some.

But Gillette has been loosing market share for years now.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...ices-of-razors

According to the above article, Gillette had a 70% market share in 2010, declined to 59% in 2015 and then 54% in 2016. So the decline has been going on before the commercial and note also, this is for market share, for those who are still shaving.

So again, I cannot speak for others but for me, pent up frustration with what I considered to be unfairly priced razors led me to switch when alternatives became available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or