U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 02:36 PM

1,293 posts, read 281,358 times

Advertisements

I think gold still has one more significant down move before the major up move. You can read my posts in the investment forum about this topic, but I have been long UUP/the dollar since around the end of February and the trade has done very well. I am still long this trade, but when the time comes I will sell UUP/the dollar and get into gold.

The .25 basis cut was such a weak and reckless move today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:48 PM

15,605 posts, read 4,132,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Because the Fed made a mistake last year by raising them. Also to compete with Europe where the rates are much loser.
So you don't believe in any semblance of a free market where savers like myself should be able to get interest on their money at "market rates" rather than trying to compete with free printing of it by The Fed?

Old Today, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Take note.... You be you.
I hope you were not thinking for everyone.
I doubt our kids and grandkids would say

"Please indebt me some more so YOU can buy more stuff now and also pollute everything more so we can suffer and die at higher rates"......

Some things, my friend, are self-evident.

In the current Trump world only one thing is. That is the ability of Cultists to bend themselves into ANY pretzel so the actual facts somehow make sense.

First we were going to all win...the forgotten man was going to get so much more money and success.....he was going to be tired of all that buying power and success.

Now, this has changed to "well, it's time for a recession".......

First it was "we MUST pay off the debt and start by balancing the budget"...now it's "chirp chirp (silence)" or "gimme money now out of our kids pocket"....

First it was "The Free Market and Trade are King"...now it's "isolationalism, nationalism and punative tariff threats...while we borrow more and pay off farmers not to produce....just to get their votes"....

There is no end to these examples.....so, yes, we are thinking for all decent, rational and reasonable people.

Old Today, 03:36 PM

919 posts, read 202,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Your banking on Trump going backward now?
Not really. I'm just noting that's a possible tool available to whomever is President in 2021.

Old Today, 04:12 PM

Big bull run today because of interest rates cuts, right?

Old Today, 04:27 PM

29,408 posts, read 39,877,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
"a modest and widely expected move that is meant to keep the economy healthy in the face of head winds from President Trump’s trade war"

Amazing how far people will go to negate the obvious.
Yeah, the move down was a hedge against the calamity that Trump's war may bring on our economy. This token cut is not enough though and American companies and consumers will continue to be hammered by higher costs for just about everything, falling overseas sales, more manufacturing distress and ultimately recession. No one wins a trade war. Eventually, Trump will be forced to back off on the tariffs and agree to some deal that pretty much returns things to what they were while claiming victory, of course.

Old Today, 04:30 PM

45,835 posts, read 18,146,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
.....Cultists ......
Haha. You could have just said that Trump supporters are Cultists instead of taking many many sentences.

Old Today, 04:42 PM

9,119 posts, read 2,813,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yeah, the move down was a hedge against the calamity that Trump's war may bring on our economy. This token cut is not enough though and American companies and consumers will continue to be hammered by higher costs for just about everything, falling overseas sales, more manufacturing distress and ultimately recession. No one wins a trade war. Eventually, Trump will be forced to back off on the tariffs and agree to some deal that pretty much returns things to what they were while claiming victory, of course.
That's how he rolls, lol. Causes all hell to break loose then backs off and says, look what a great job I did? Yet they will continue to adore him, lies, chaos and all.

Old Today, 05:08 PM

29,408 posts, read 39,877,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
That's how he rolls, lol. Causes all hell to break loose then backs off and says, look what a great job I did? Yet they will continue to adore him, lies, chaos and all.
The trouble with that is that we really do have a problem with China (and many other nations) with respect to unfair trade practices. Trump's trade war will, in the best case, simply lead to a stalemate and a return to the status quo. We are left with the problem and fewer options to deal with it. It's the same with his wall. By heading down a blind alley, he completely closed the path to sensible, bipartisan immigration law reform and we get chaos at the border and record numbers of so-called immigrants streaming in. Instead of taking a pragmatic approach to issues Trump has, time and time again, done nothing but pander to his base with hopeless, unworkable posturing. He was a lousy businessman by all accounts and those skills are on display in his presidency as well.

Old Today, 05:10 PM

11,367 posts, read 2,818,974 times
Conventional wisdom has always been that everyone should have a small percentage of precious metals. Physical, not paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies