U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2019, 06:08 PM
 
706 posts, read 123,273 times
Reputation: 668

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Along with Jim Crow and the oppression of Native Americans.
Oppression of Native Americans probably the worst mistake of all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2019, 06:22 PM
 
706 posts, read 123,273 times
Reputation: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Seems like a good argument for gun control.
No, it really doesn't. There is no stopping someone who wants to murder from doing it. Sure it's easier to do so with a gun, but that alone does not stop violence. It's mainly those who carry extreme anger and resentment towards others because of how they were brought into the world and their environment, plus those all around them are perpetuating bad behavior, some even feeling good about doing so. Nothing can be done unless environments and ways of thinking are changed. Costly and impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2019, 08:29 PM
 
48,725 posts, read 45,801,826 times
Reputation: 15495
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
No, it really doesn't. There is no stopping someone who wants to murder from doing it. Sure it's easier to do so with a gun, but that alone does not stop violence. It's mainly those who carry extreme anger and resentment towards others because of how they were brought into the world and their environment, plus those all around them are perpetuating bad behavior, some even feeling good about doing so. Nothing can be done unless environments and ways of thinking are changed. Costly and impossible.
I actually agree with you on this. We have individuals who are angry, violent, and want to hurt people. There are people who have killed people with cars. Some people will use arson to kill people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2019, 08:37 PM
 
15,794 posts, read 13,693,014 times
Reputation: 21725
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Seems like a good argument for gun control.
Not at all.

There are areas of the US with extremely high rates of gun ownership and about as relaxed gun control as it can get, yet has the fraction of the gun violence rate areas with more severe gun restrictions and lower rate of gun ownership has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2019, 09:34 PM
 
48,725 posts, read 45,801,826 times
Reputation: 15495
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Not at all.

There are areas of the US with extremely high rates of gun ownership and about as relaxed gun control as it can get, yet has the fraction of the gun violence rate areas with more severe gun restrictions and lower rate of gun ownership has.
New Hampshire and Vermont have relaxed gun laws. They have very low murder rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2019, 10:30 PM
 
706 posts, read 123,273 times
Reputation: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Not at all.

There are areas of the US with extremely high rates of gun ownership and about as relaxed gun control as it can get, yet has the fraction of the gun violence rate areas with more severe gun restrictions and lower rate of gun ownership has.
So, what's different? Personality within us all from birth, rate of development, perhaps an already low tolerance for social structure combined with a ton of negative circumstances increases the potential to commit violent crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 03:42 AM
Status: "Woke Status 0" (set 9 days ago)
 
21,806 posts, read 11,740,525 times
Reputation: 12434
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And the vast majority of those shootings take place in the ghettos. Not in schools, not in theatres, not in office buildings. They happen in places where gangs are prevalent. Mass shootings refer to shootings of multiple people getting shot in places where you don't expect them to get shot. Stuff like Columbine, the Aurora theatre shooting, Sandy Hook Elementary. Those kind of shootings feature one or two people whose goal is to shoot as many people as they can all at one. These shootings by Black males are not "shoot as many as you can". It's "shoot whatever rival gang members are there" or multiple people getting shot because the shooters are horrible marksmen.
So these are war zones? Should we declare martial law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 03:48 AM
Status: "Woke Status 0" (set 9 days ago)
 
21,806 posts, read 11,740,525 times
Reputation: 12434
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Generally targeted and in known trouble spots. Terrible but it is what it is.

Iím far more concerned with the random shootings at festivals, concerts, movie theaters, malls, jobs etc.
I worry about semi truck drivers far more. My chances of getting killed by one of those far higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 06:55 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
14,431 posts, read 11,740,150 times
Reputation: 13489
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And the vast majority of those shootings take place in the ghettos. Not in schools, not in theatres, not in office buildings. They happen in places where gangs are prevalent. Mass shootings refer to shootings of multiple people getting shot in places where you don't expect them to get shot. Stuff like Columbine, the Aurora theatre shooting, Sandy Hook Elementary. Those kind of shootings feature one or two people whose goal is to shoot as many people as they can all at one. These shootings by Black males are not "shoot as many as you can". It's "shoot whatever rival gang members are there" or multiple people getting shot because the shooters are horrible marksmen.

There has not been a mass shooting committed by a "marksman" since 1966 at the University of Texas. Now, as to whether or not I go anywhere, including the "ghetto" expecting to be shot at...well, I expect the unexpected. It could happen at Wal Mart just as easy as South of highway 50.


Yes mass shootings do happen in the ghetto, Barrio or trashy trailer park with more frequency than say the theatre but it's wise to expect the worst anywhere. Plus return fire from LE is as likely to hit unintended human targets as the perpetrators is.


Here where I am we have had one mass shooting in as long as I can remember and that was at an IHOP. As I remember it that was some illegal immigrant type trying to kill his girlfriend. When a shooting of any type happens herebouts it's usually drug dealers trying to kill each other. We don't consider Vegas as part of NV around here anymore so I don't count the concert shooting.


What mystifies me is how the bugle call for gun control is all aimed at my gun safe and not at the illegal military hardware in gang and other criminal hands. I guess it is already illegal to buy stolen military hardware for criminal purposes but taking away my firearms won't stop that.


But actual common sense isn't the point there. The worst public mass killing here was done with a 1974 Lincoln Continental on a Thanksgiving day in 1980. I don't see what I would call expected mayhem happening anywhere in particular. Ghetto or otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
223 posts, read 27,655 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
What mystifies me is how the bugle call for gun control is all aimed at my gun safe and not at the illegal military hardware in gang and other criminal hands. I guess it is already illegal to buy stolen military hardware for criminal purposes but taking away my firearms won't stop that.



Criminals do not obey laws yet they want to take away guns away from those who obey the law...makes sense--right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top